What are the most reputable?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I had two amazons that got spooked by a hawk fly into a window. (Sally and Bob.) Fortunately it wasn't enough to kill either of them, though they did knock themselves senseless...

It can happen. I can't see a large macaw flying fast enough to break it's neck, but I suppose it's possible...

Tusk faceplanted into our neighbor across the street's second story once, as well... took off flying from the tree, and flew straight and level into a house... again, pretty shaken up, but no serious injuries. Fortunately I took off running when he took off flying, and he DID NOT hit the ground... (I made a Wilie Mays basket catch.)

OP
Minimaker

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
Just curious why she would need beak grooming. A normal healthy mac shouldn't need that. Zoe has to have it done because she has a slight scissor beak.

People here have talked about it, I thought it needed to be done once or twice a year. Is that not correct? I don't know, I just assumed I'd have to take her in for that based on posts here. I've never been in to the avian vet yet so I don't know the protocol at this time.

Last edited:

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Regular vet checks, yes, but as long as she has a healthy diet and plenty of chew toys she shouldn't need a trim as a general rule.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I think I've had Maggie's beak done exactly once in eight years... She chews enough wood that it usually isn't necessary.

Her beak looks fine in the picture.

Wings and nails? About every 4-6 months... though Maggie I am keeping flighted now. So, it's just nails for her.

I actually only get mine well birdied once every two years now, per my vet. He says that since they have a good base line, and their test results have all been perfect, there's no need... The big thing is to get the initial testing done, and have an established base line for your bird.

That way, when the tests come back, they have healthy numbers to compare them to, and they can diagnose things much more quickly.

Last edited:
OP
Minimaker

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
Ok she's paid for and will be here Wednesday :) Thanks Birdman, I'll get that done asap. I want a clean bill of health on her anyway.

Most Reactions