What are the Pro's and Con's of a Sun Conure?

Cecilia

Banned
Banned
Jul 28, 2010
Media
Melbourne, FL
Parrots
Violet - Black Masked Lovebird hatch date 2-26-11

Jessie - B&G Macaw hatch date 4-3-11
I have always loved the colors of sun conures and I have actually handled many of them with much joy and success. My husband laughed and said No birds with the name conure in it LOL. That's bc of the Nanday's i rescued a few years back.. they were loud as can be. Anyhow, I told him Macaws are louder! hehe. So can someone tell me a little about their sun conure and what are the good and bad or not so much bad... but i mean what they eat etc... good toys, size cage? etc...:rainbow1:

wicked demon

Jul 22, 2010
I am new here as well, I just got one, no too long ago so my experience is limited. He is possesive of my wife, does NOT like men and is an overall pretty good addition to the family so far. He gets a little loud, but nothing to obnoxious. His cage size is 18" square footprint, that is 3' tall, I am thinking it is not sufficient, even though he only spends his nights and nap time in the cage. I have been working with him with gloves to try to break his hatred of men, but it has only been a few days and from what i understand this will take SOME time. I think the best approach (unless you want to correct some already learned bad birdy behavior) is to get a very young hand raised, captive bred bird from a licenced professional. (also unless there is a bird in need of your rescue)

Last edited:

ConureLover1990

Jan 6, 2010
McKinney,TX
Parrots
Nala~Female Green Cheeked Conure~

~Skittles~Male Sun Conure~
From my short year of experince of having a Sun.

Pro's~Loyal as all get out,very loving and cuddley,likes to try new things.

Con's~Can be very possesive,Skittles hates my mom and my dog with a passion,can be very loud,and gets mad easiley at times.

I love him to death tho,and would never part with him.

OP
Cecilia

Cecilia

Banned
Banned
Jul 28, 2010
Media
Melbourne, FL
Parrots

so pretty much stick with getting my blue and gold macaw... LOL

ConureLover1990

Jan 6, 2010
McKinney,TX
Parrots
Nala~Female Green Cheeked Conure~

~Skittles~Male Sun Conure~
so pretty much stick with getting my blue and gold macaw... LOL

I would'nt say that,but you just have to be sure that you would be able to take the screaming and possiblity of him bonding to just one person,just the same as any bird,lol.

Mine is a rehome tho,so that maybe why he is a little more miffed then a baby would be.

OP
Cecilia

Cecilia

Banned
Banned
Jul 28, 2010
Media
Melbourne, FL
Parrots

I'm so stuck on my Blue and Gold... but I have always wanted a sun conure as well... LOL I don't know...

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
Well, Suns are certainly LOUD! But, it certainly wouldn't be as loud as your Macaw. ;) I've only handled a sun conure once before, but I've interacted with them a lot through the glass at various pet shops and they are all little clowns! I would love a sun conure as my next bird, just has to be after I'm out of a town house. :p If you really want one, and can handle the noise, why not go for it? :)

OP
Cecilia

Cecilia

Banned
Banned
Jul 28, 2010
Media
Melbourne, FL
Parrots

I don't think I can handle the noise at this point in time that's why I'm just going through and thinking of which bird I want when I decide to get one. LOL I surely want a macaw, but I'll wait till i purchase a home for that one! LOL

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
Oh, woops, lol. I saw the Macaw in your avatar and assumed you already had one. See what happens when you assume! :eek: Whatever your choice ends up being, good luck! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts