What kind of bird is this?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I love these mysteries... and your discussions! Many thanks.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I'm pretty sure it's a sweet and noble bird. I think we can agree on that.

daviddewlow

Nov 29, 2018
IMHO, this is some type of pacific parrotlet. The shape and size are consistent....

I have 2 similar... I'll post a photo for comparison....... and I'm just really proud of my birds.....

Please let me know your thoughts...
a566b973e09a3c3e1029dd72d47443fe.jpg
aab5d1c74fe7980dba4c018c6c701a31.jpg
5a58e7c3a4acf1e3fee019d6f7e9a4ef.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
parrotlets have short tails, the bird has too long tail

SassiBird

May 10, 2016
Media
Albums
Minnesota
Parrots
Black Capped Conure - Sassafras - 2015; GCC Rosalita - 2018; GCC Apple Blossom - 2018
If it weren't for the lack eye ring I would say a jenday hybrid. Still could be. It does look like one of the subspecies of brown-throated conures/parakeet (eupsittula pertinax ssp. xanthogenia). Some do have light beaks. I think it will need to grow up before a truly educated guess can be made.

brown-throated parakeet (I think this one is actually the St Thomas sub species, xanthogenia can have less green on the head)

source: https://ebird.org/species/brtpar1/L7061291

photographer images with lighter beaks: (copyrighted, therefore linking only) https://www.joelsartore.com/keyword/brown-throated-parakeets/

Last edited:

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
It was little hard to find this thread but I did it :) Today I saw an article about using bleach to changing natural color to look like new species or another one! :eek::( After reading this, I reminded this thread and think this might be a parrot after this process :(
Ps. I know a lot of parrot species and my first thought when saw this photo was extinct carolina parakeet :D Maybe somebody wanted to imbue to this species? :( (really I can't figure out which species is more simillar to it than they! :()

Last edited:

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
This actually does seem like a mystery to me.

Firstly the species of true wild parrots that are superficially similar to this bird, purely in color pattern are

1. Song Parrot from New Guinea- Geoffroyus heteroclites
2. Yellow fronted parrot from Africa- Poicephalus flavifrons
3. Yellow headed Amazon- Amazona oratrix
4. Saffron headed Parrot - Pyrila pyrila

But because of Body shape and the variation in how the plumage is , all these 4 species are ruled out.

If you ignore the color and look at only the way the color pattern is- it looks like a Yellow faced - Peach faced lovebird with a long tail - absolutely no eye ring.

But as Ellen as said it could be a juvenile Jenday conure but none of the images i have seen on the net have such a clear cut demarcation between the yellow and the green.

So could it be a hybrid between the Brown throated and the Jenday or a color mutation Jenday. Looks like a fascinating puzzle worth solving.

Of course there is the remote possibility that someone has been secretly breeding Carolina parakeets for many generations and the secret has just leaked out :p :p
:yellow1::yellow1::yellow1:

Last edited:

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
This actually does seem like a mystery to me.

Firstly the species of true wild parrots that are superficially similar to this bird, purely in color pattern are

1. Song Parrot from New Guinea- Geoffroyus heteroclites
2. Yellow fronted parrot from Africa- Poicephalus flavifrons
3. Yellow headed Amazon- Amazona oratrix
4. Saffron headed Parrot - Pyrila pyrila

But because of Body shape and the variation in how the plumage is , all these 3 are ruled out.

If you ignore the color and look at only the way the color pattern is- it looks like a Yellow faced - Peach faced lovebird with a long tail - absolutely no eye ring.

But as Ellen as said it could be a juvenile Jenday conure but none of the images i have seen on the net have such a clear cut demarcation between the yellow and the green.

So could it be a hybrid between the Brown throated and the Jenday or a color mutation Jenday. Looks like a fascinating puzzle worth solving.

Of course there is the remote possibility that someone has been secretly breeding Carolina parakeets for many generations and the secret has just leaked out :p :p
:yellow1::yellow1::yellow1:
And this I mean writing that none bird is simillar: we always have to take into account both: shape and colors. Because of that I think this is one of these thinks:
- uncommon hybrid
- some kind of disease (?) changing feather colors (I little doubt)
- this what I wrote in previous post - chemical coloring to change real colors
I think we will never know what it is but I wanted to write about this "chemical coloring/bleach" (not sure how it is named in English)
Ps. ...and Carolina parakeets have more red forehead ... but if my theory about chemical discoloring to look like this species was truth, details wouldn't be important ;)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts