What time should my blue front toddler take her nap?

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
I live in a rural area and had to be driven to a more urban area for urgent eye surgery to repair a tear in my retina. Kizzy had to come with us because she cannot be left alone yet. When we got back, everyone was exhausted, especially Kizzy. I put her down at around 5:00 p.m. and I think she'll sleep through the night. Even when we don't go anywhere, she's usually more than ready for sleepy time at 7:30-8:00 p.m. or so. I think life is very overwhelming for her right now and she would benefit from a nap in the nest box in the afternoon.

Kizzy and I try to be up and going by 9:00 a.m. in the morning, preferably earlier. Our days are filled with hand-feedings, flight lessons, harness lessons, solid food lessons, cuddle sessions, etc. I should probably add habituation to emery boards and towels (I phased out towel habituation because there's so much to do) and read a children's book to her while I'm at it. Ah, parronthood! It is very draining when they are young and full of so much energy.

What time should I put her down for her nap? How long should it be? Parronts need time for themselves in order to keep going for their flying toddlers. She has me moving more than I have in years. It's been really good for me, but also difficult. I need "me" time so I can function for Kizzy. :green:

BTW, I love this forum and the ideas I get here. So much more is available than when Gabby was a youngster. (Still miss that little guy. I dream about him almost every night.)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Young Parrots and naps do not always combine in the same sentence. At least when or how often their support Adults would like. Watch for sights after a feeding that a nap would be welcomed.

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
Young Parrots and naps do not always combine in the same sentence. At least when or how often their support Adults would like. Watch for sights after a feeding that a nap would be welcomed.

Thanks. Will do. :)

I certainly won't force it on her. I couldn't even if I wanted to. She would fuss. I wouldn't get any rest. A lot of hard work would be undone. As I suspected, being kind and supportive toward a sensitive bird is the best path to independence. She's a lot more playful than cuddly now...always on the move. This is how it should be. She's an Amazon! Born to play and play hard! :green1:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Mine is a narcoleptic:eek:. He is liable to fall asleep at any time anywhere but rarely naps for long! He does have a quiet few hours where he dozes and rests in the early afternoon. Recharging his doom stores, no doubt:rolleyes:

I would figure out a time of day you'd like some peace and just start yet another long, slow process of teaching Kizzy to be calm during that time of day. Turn off radio/tv etc... (quiet it down), dim the lighting a bit (not enough it mimics night, more mimics clouds in front of the sun), eliminate interesting toys, food and other distractions that would amp her up...don't do any energetic activities yourself and most importantly, put her in her cage or wherever she is residing right now by herself and let her calm herself down. Teach her "this is the time of day to have quiet/alone time". Kind of like a toddler or pre-schooler needs to lay down after lunch. You can't force her to sleep, but she does need to be quiet and calm. And much like a little kid, if it is dark, quiet and no distractions, sleep will come eventually and it will become her habit:)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts