What your pet reveals about you.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I think they say "pretentious" for bird people because of other people's ideas, not because of who we are. How many times have we heard things like "how much did you pay for that??" (and that's another gripe I have.....like we must be wealthy if we have a parrot....which I, for one, am not.....)

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
And there is nothing there for bunny owners - they are not rodents, but lagomorphs! So I guess we get to make up our own attributes! :)

Exactly what I was saying! How about... Floppy and nippy? :p I think that describes us well... Er, maybe, lazy and short tempered?

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I asked Cassie (bunny) about it and she said it deserved a determined THUMP. I think it says it all, really.....

Ducatimom

Jun 10, 2014
Media
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
6 yr old Sun Conure (Ducati)
I think that everyone and their pets are unique. Yet there are still people who think that they can generalise the personally of pet owners. Then they put that crap on the internet and some people believe it.

I put a lot of thought into this:;) and made my own list.:)
Dog - Awesome.
Cat - Awesome.
Bird - Awesome.
Rodent - Awesome.
amphibian -Awesome.
Fish - Awesome.
Reptile - Awesome.
Lagomorphs - Awesome
Insect - Awesome
Arachnid - Awesome
If I missed your type of pet don't worry it's Awesome

PS picked up our new addition today. 7 week old female american Stafford terrier named tequila.:D

Much better list Delfin lol!

And of course we need to see pictures of Tequila!! :09:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Love your list MUCH better, Delfin:)

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
Happy cat - while I agree with your assessment, there's no plain 'birds'!! O_O or farm animals....

I wonder what they'd say about by soon-to-be 12 pigeons, 5 chickens, 10 ducks, goose, and turkey!! Oh lord - what about the RABBIT ?!?! Rabbits aren't rodents! And I thought they were the 3rd most popular pet! Lol!

Yesh, judgmental site much? Oh yeah, I own a costly bird that demands attention and great care... I must be pretentious. How does having a pet make you pretentious anyways?

Thats true! Here ya go:
Farm animals: Hard Working
Birds: Patient, smart (most normal birds are hard to tame)
Lagamorph: Kind, calm

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Amen to trying to tame normal birds... Like pigeons...

Delfin I love your list! But I'd love to see pictures of baby Tequila better ;)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I think they say "pretentious" for bird people because of other people's ideas, not because of who we are. How many times have we heard things like "how much did you pay for that??" (and that's another gripe I have.....like we must be wealthy if we have a parrot....which I, for one, am not.....)

You let the cat outside to run around and be a cat, you're normal. You take the bird outside to play in a tree, you're just plain weird.

If you take your dog outside for a walk, it's assumed that you're just a normal dog owner, taking care of his pet. BUT IF YOU TAKE A BIRD OUT FOR A WALK then you're a pretentious <bleep> whose just using the bird to draw attention to himself...

The funniest one of those I ever got was "Why isn't that thing at home in a cage where it belongs?!" The fact that this guy was actually serious, made it twice as funny...

YEP! HOW MUCH DOES "IT" COST, AND DOES "IT" TALK, AND IS "THAT THING" GOING TO BITE ME... never heard any of those things before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ducatimom

Jun 10, 2014
Media
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots

Cat and dog owners can't really say anything to us though. How many have "bought" "designer" breeds just because of the way he looks. My brother is spending 300 on a Munchkin cat. Granted he's a cute little thing. But even my Mom told me not to say anything to the rest of the family because of how much he is. So birds aren't the only pricey companion lol.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Cat and dog owners can't really say anything to us though. How many have "bought" "designer" breeds just because of the way he looks. My brother is spending 300 on a Munchkin cat. Granted he's a cute little thing. But even my Mom told me not to say anything to the rest of the family because of how much he is. So birds aren't the only pricey companion lol.

Cousin's ex-wife once got a Sphynx from a breeder and didn't tell anyone not even her husband how much he was. Many dog and cat breeds are into the thousands. More than most parrots cost.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Doesn't matter unless you are living on someone else's dime... it's no one's business how much a pet costs.

If it's worth it to you, and you take care of the animal, and it's not something completely insane like raising a pet tiger in a New York penthouse... or a pet king cobra... or something highly endangered... and you have the money, then get what you want, and enjoy.

Ducatimom

Jun 10, 2014
Media
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
Birdman it's funny you say that. I'm still trying to convince my husband we need to get a tiger :09:.

Speaking of tigers there is a domesticated cat bred to look like a tiger called a toyger and yea like RavensGryf said they're around at least 1,000. I keep hoping one day the price of one will go down but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon lol

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Hey, animal control JUST CONFISCATED AN ADULT TIGER that had been raised in a penthouse suite in New York City...

Apparently, people in the building were complaining about the noise. And you thought your neighbor's dog barking was bad, eh?!

The guy in 1201 has a tiger that yowls all night... why don't you go up there and complain?!

And the cobra?! That was a pet that escaped, in Oakland... IN A RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOOD WITH KIDS - LIKE THE LOCAL HOSPITAL HAS A SUPPLY OF KING COBRA ANTI-VENOM ON HAND!

People do this stuff all the time. "Inappropriate" is about the kindest thing I can say...

(Although I must confess that in college I had an otter. Which is almost as bad as having a monkey in the house, only they don't throw poop! Everything else they can get their curious little hands on, but not poop!)

Ducatimom

Jun 10, 2014
Media
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
Hey, animal control JUST CONFISCATED AN ADULT TIGER that had been raised in a penthouse suite in New York City...

Apparently, people in the building were complaining about the noise. And you thought your neighbor's dog barking was bad, eh?!

The guy in 1201 has a tiger that yowls all night... why don't you go up there and complain?!

And the cobra?! That was a pet that escaped, in Oakland... IN A RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOOD WITH KIDS - LIKE THE LOCAL HOSPITAL HAS A SUPPLY OF KING COBRA ANTI-VENOM ON HAND!

People do this stuff all the time. "Inappropriate" is about the kindest thing I can say...

(Although I must confess that in college I had an otter. Which is almost as bad as having a monkey in the house, only they don't throw poop! Everything else they can get their curious little hands on, but not poop!)
How can you keep a tiger in a NY apartment comfortably? And the food would be so expensive! I only sarcastically joke with my husband about getting a tiger and any other animal that comes on tv lol.

I won't even get started on the snake. Perfectly fine with people who have snakes but them and spiders scare me lol. We did have an old roommate that got a snake without asking us first and I was able to overcome that a little bit. Still wouldn't willingly own one lol, much less a cobra around kids.

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots

You let the cat outside to run around and be a cat, you're normal. You take the bird outside to play in a tree, you're just plain weird.

If you take your dog outside for a walk, it's assumed that you're just a normal dog owner, taking care of his pet. BUT IF YOU TAKE A BIRD OUT FOR A WALK then you're a pretentious a$$hole whose just using the bird to draw attention to himself...

The funniest one of those I ever got was "Why isn't that thing at home in a cage where it belongs?!" The fact that this guy was actually serious, made it twice as funny...

YEP! HOW MUCH DOES "IT" COST, AND DOES "IT" TALK, AND IS "THAT THING" GOING TO BITE ME... never heard any of those things before.

You know what's even worse than a bird? A rabbit.

Seriously. Take a rabbit for a walk, and 40% of people will make jokes about eating it (or their dogs eating), 40% will avoid you because you're weird / give you a weird look, 10% will be a rabbit owner who will inform you of the dangers of a harness, and 10% will comment how the rabbit is cute.

I love snakes, but it is very irresponsible to own such a deadly snake that could ever escape. I mean, it's well within your rights, but like Birdman said - local hospital isn't going to have antivenom, and it could potentially kill someone.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Doesn't matter unless you are living on someone else's dime... it's no one's business how much a pet costs.

If it's worth it to you, and you take care of the animal, and it's not something completely insane like raising a pet tiger in a New York penthouse... or a pet king cobra... or something highly endangered... and you have the money, then get what you want, and enjoy.

I agree with the first sentence :) The second part :eek:....

I know people do though. I love the show "Fatal Attractions"!

Ducatimom

Jun 10, 2014
Media
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
quote=Birdman666;408155]
You know what's even worse than a bird? A rabbit.

Seriously. Take a rabbit for a walk, and 40% of people will make jokes about eating it (or their dogs eating), 40% will avoid you because you're weird / give you a weird look, 10% will be a rabbit owner who will inform you of the dangers of a harness, and 10% will comment how the rabbit is cute.

I love snakes, but it is very irresponsible to own such a deadly snake that could ever escape. I mean, it's well within your rights, but like Birdman said - local hospital isn't going to have antivenom, and it could potentially kill someone.

We have two bearded dragons (one male, one surprised us being female). The male is highly active and we thought he'd love to be taken outside for a little walk and the natural sunlight is really good for them. We haven't been able to yet because we can't find a harness that would fit him.

I know once we do we'll get the exact same response. I guess only dogs are allowed to be walked outside.

I even put our cat on a leash and let him lay outside while we were working. We got so many weird looks even from our friends. My aunt made the sarcastic comment, "Just because he's outside, you think his quality of life is improved?" Yea I do because he loves to be outside. Used to do it all the time at our apartment. This way he can still be outside and I don't have to worry about him running off.

Most Reactions

Latest posts