What your pet reveals about you.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
If you take your dog outside for a walk, it's assumed that you're just a normal dog owner, taking care of his pet. BUT IF YOU TAKE A BIRD OUT FOR A WALK then you're a pretentious <bleep> whose just using the bird to draw attention to himself...

Kiwi LOVES coming out in his carrier, and I will NOT allow ignorant such and such people to prevent my bird from having an enjoyable time. I find I get one of 3 reactions over Kiwi:

"Well I've never seen one of those before" (referring to the carrier) OR "Is that a REAL parrot".... (No, I am taking my stuffed toy out for a walk:30:) OR I just get dirty looks/nasty comments. We go to this little lake/park thing almost everyday, and a few weekends ago, we were down there at a table on the outskirts of the park. I let Kiwi out to wander around (supervised of course). Some you-know-what wannabe "animal activist"-type decided to take it upon himself to come over and make it his business to lecture ME about how 'cruel' it was to "keep a bird in a cage" and how 'sad' it was that I "used him as a status symbol". Mind you through all of this, Kiwi is freely walking about on table enjoying the sunshine and fresh air, he wasn't even in his carrier and we were on the outskirts of the park AWAY from everyone else:20: I told that guy in words not appropriate for this forum where he could shove it. I've discovered wearing large headphones while walking with Kiwi and staring at the ground keeps the loonies away and we don't go to that park when it's busy on the weekends now. I take him out for his enjoyment, not to show him off and certainly not because I want to talk to anyone...

Last edited by a moderator:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I LOVE your large headphones idea! :D I will have to remember that one! My hopes are to get Raven and Griffin harness trained and going to the local parks.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I have a tiger. Some may mistake him for an ordinary tabby moggy, but he's a tiger by name and so that's what he is.

The bottom line is that some people are just daft. When my (late) dog was a puppy, I took her across the road from where I lived to a garden nursery. Somebody actually asked me what "it" was. Yes, she looked a bit like a cute little fox, but seriously, somebody couldn't recognise a dog?

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
This thread reminded me of my childhood moment of fame in our local newspaper. I entered my pet in a contest and won "most exotic pet"....and it was just a ferret! Our photo was in the paper together. So I guess I was weird and pretentious even as a 10 year old. hahahaha

I find it odd that it is considered more weird (by certain types of people) to be a good pet owner as opposed to having them for show. I used to play guitar to my fish, over the tank and wondered what the vibrations felt/sounded like to them, and I paid attention to them and some were pretty friendly. Strange to me that I would be considered more 'weird' than if I just bought a bunch of flashy fish and continually replaced them when they died from lack of care because they were primarily ornamental. Sigh.

There are 'animal people' and there are not.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I find it odd that it is considered more weird (by certain types of people) to be a good pet owner as opposed to having them for show...There are 'animal people' and there are not.

Very true! There are just people out there who look at animals like disposable decorative objects they can replace if they get tired of them. Then they make all responsible owners of animals look like nut jobs.

I had a childhood friend who's family used their 'pets' (I use the term lightly, they were more prisoners who happened to be animals) for show. They dragged home any poor creature that was "rare", flashy or cost a lot of money (and made sure anyone who came over knew it). Once the novelty wore off or it became 'annoying', they'd get rid of them or neglect them until they died (like their massive saltwater aquarium and countless reptiles). They even briefly had a parrot of some kind at one point. Our friendship actually ended over one of their pets. They got a pot belly pig, that was an INDOOR PET for several years, it had a name, slept in a dog bed, totally tame, wore a collar and would even go on walks. It was NOT raised as a livestock animal. Apparently, it had a few 'accidents' in the house (due to them not letting it out all day), so they took it to a butcher and ATE IT:eek::eek::eek:!!! I found out one night when I went for a sleepover, as they were all making jokes at the table about eating [whatever the pigs name was] (I don't remember anymore). I was so HORRIFIED when I heard that and none of them seemed to see what would possibly bother me. Meanwhile, I was being raised in a home where animals were an incredibly careful choice you fully committed to the proper lifelong care of, good AND bad. I was also a brand new vegetarian (still am 15 years later) and at that time, was just learning about animal cruelty, neglect and the crisis of 'unplanned pets'. Needless to say, we could no longer be friends after that. Just couldn't turn the blind eye any longer.

Last edited:

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
My fish "talk" to me. When you go to feed them, they come rushing over and talk to you through the glass. Their lips are moving, what else would they be doing? :D

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I find it odd that it is considered more weird (by certain types of people) to be a good pet owner as opposed to having them for show...There are 'animal people' and there are not.

Very true! There are just people out there who look at animals like disposable decorative objects they can replace if they get tired of them. Then they make all responsible owners of animals look like nut jobs.

I had a childhood friend who's family used their 'pets' (I use the term lightly, they were more prisoners who happened to be animals) for show. They dragged home any poor creature that was "rare", flashy or cost a lot of money (and made sure anyone who came over knew it). Once the novelty wore off or it became 'annoying', they'd get rid of them or neglect them until they died (like their massive saltwater aquarium and countless reptiles). They even briefly had a parrot of some kind at one point. Our friendship actually ended over one of their pets. They got a pot belly pig, that was an INDOOR PET for several years, it had a name, slept in a dog bed, totally tame, wore a collar and would even go on walks. It was NOT raised as a livestock animal. Apparently, it had a few 'accidents' in the house (due to them not letting it out all day), so they took it to a butcher and ATE IT:eek::eek::eek:!!! I found out one night when I went for a sleepover, as they were all making jokes at the table about eating [whatever the pigs name was] (I don't remember anymore). I was so HORRIFIED when I heard that and none of them seemed to see what would possibly bother me. Meanwhile, I was being raised in a home where animals were an incredibly careful choice you fully committed to the proper lifelong care of, good AND bad. I was also a brand new vegetarian (still am 15 years later) and at that time, was just learning about animal cruelty, neglect and the crisis of 'unplanned pets'. Needless to say, we could no longer be friends after that. Just couldn't turn the blind eye any longer.

I'm speechless!! I read that and I looked like this --->:eek: Ate the family pet!! LITERALLY!

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
Parrots

I think they say "pretentious" for bird people because of other people's ideas, not because of who we are. How many times have we heard things like "how much did you pay for that??" (and that's another gripe I have.....like we must be wealthy if we have a parrot....which I, for one, am not.....)

I do think some people associate anyone having a parrot as someone that must be rich. In my case and no doubt many other that is a false assumption since I am not rich.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
Parrots

I think they say "pretentious" for bird people because of other people's ideas, not because of who we are. How many times have we heard things like "how much did you pay for that??" (and that's another gripe I have.....like we must be wealthy if we have a parrot....which I, for one, am not.....)

You let the cat outside to run around and be a cat, you're normal. You take the bird outside to play in a tree, you're just plain weird.

If you take your dog outside for a walk, it's assumed that you're just a normal dog owner, taking care of his pet. BUT IF YOU TAKE A BIRD OUT FOR A WALK then you're a pretentious <insert expletive starting with an A> whose just using the bird to draw attention to himself...

The funniest one of those I ever got was "Why isn't that thing at home in a cage where it belongs?!" The fact that this guy was actually serious, made it twice as funny...

YEP! HOW MUCH DOES "IT" COST, AND DOES "IT" TALK, AND IS "THAT THING" GOING TO BITE ME... never heard any of those things before.

I do sadly think some people do think I am a weirdo or a pretentious <bleep>. But I also imagine those that do decide to talk to me and see Captain Jack quickly learn he loves attention way more then I do and he does not like me ignoring him.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
Parrots

If you take your dog outside for a walk, it's assumed that you're just a normal dog owner, taking care of his pet. BUT IF YOU TAKE A BIRD OUT FOR A WALK then you're a pretentious <bleep> whose just using the bird to draw attention to himself...

Kiwi LOVES coming out in his carrier, and I will NOT allow ignorant such and such people to prevent my bird from having an enjoyable time. I find I get one of 3 reactions over Kiwi:

"Well I've never seen one of those before" (referring to the carrier) OR "Is that a REAL parrot".... (No, I am taking my stuffed toy out for a walk:30:) OR I just get dirty looks/nasty comments. We go to this little lake/park thing almost everyday, and a few weekends ago, we were down there at a table on the outskirts of the park. I let Kiwi out to wander around (supervised of course). Some you-know-what wannabe "animal activist"-type decided to take it upon himself to come over and make it his business to lecture ME about how 'cruel' it was to "keep a bird in a cage" and how 'sad' it was that I "used him as a status symbol". Mind you through all of this, Kiwi is freely walking about on table enjoying the sunshine and fresh air, he wasn't even in his carrier and we were on the outskirts of the park AWAY from everyone else:20: I told that guy in words not appropriate for this forum where he could shove it. I've discovered wearing large headphones while walking with Kiwi and staring at the ground keeps the loonies away and we don't go to that park when it's busy on the weekends now. I take him out for his enjoyment, not to show him off and certainly not because I want to talk to anyone...

I have actually had a couple of people ask if Captain Jack is a real parrot. Once a couple of people were even debating about it!
Luckily I have not been bullied by someone accusing me of cruelty or using a bird as a status symbol.

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Regarding the 'is it a real parrot' when I first got kiwi, I took him to my Halloween party... He was a sweetheart, stepped up, didn't bite anyone, but everytime someone saw him, they just said 'is that real?!?!'. And it was funny cause the boys were terrified of him ;) 'D', one of the guys in my class, was shaking and freaking out while kiwi was stepping up on him. Lol. I just grabbed his wrist so he'd stop shaking and let kiwi step up... Magically, kiwi didn't rip off his face !1!!!11! (He wanted to hold the bird but was having a minor freak out)

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
My fish "talk" to me. When you go to feed them, they come rushing over and talk to you through the glass. Their lips are moving, what else would they be doing? :D

Hah! That's great. One time there was a fish store, and if you stuck your finger a few of the tanks, all the fish would bite it :) cutest thing ever. Not all of them did it, but the ones that did... Adorable. Mostly cichlids that did it, lol. The bigger ones would even HURT when they bit you!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Fish have more personality than some people think. My cories will also "beg" for food. If I go in there for something else, they'll come over and try to get your attention to get something.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I'm speechless!! I read that and I looked like this ---> Ate the family pet!! LITERALLY!

Yup. They raised chickens and goats for meat, which was one thing, but the pig was a pet and that is what was so very offensive to me when they had no qualms about having it butchered and eating it.

I have actually had a couple of people ask if Captain Jack is a real parrot. Once a couple of people were even debating about it!

I think people are very confused or have very limited knowledge of what parrots look like (or just how many there are and how varied they are). I also think it's quite unexpected to see someone walking around with their bird. Theres still more people than not who assume birds sit in a cage and sing all day, and would "fly away" or maybe even "melt in the sun";) if taken outside:rolleyes:.

Luckily I have not been bullied by someone accusing me of cruelty or using a bird as a status symbol.

I try not to be pushy about it, but I am a long time 'animal activist'. I try to be INFORMED of what really constitutes cruelty and keep an open mind to what constitutes a responsible animal owner and why they have such a creature in captivity (such as it was born in captivity and can't be released to the wild, or has some kind of injury/deformity where it wouldn't survive, they've had it such a long time they got it at a time no one knew the impact of wild-caught ect..). I'm sure there are people who have lions or crocodiles or truly unusual creatures who provide excellent care, who am I to judge?

Still, there are SO many people who feel self-righteous in their misinformed belief that keeping any kind of exotic animal is cruel (I got similar responses with my beardie when she would come out). Just look at any article that has a parrot, reptile or other uncommon animal and you will see a flood of people making blanket statements on how cruel it is to have those animals. No doubt, there are a lot of irresponsible exotics owners, but there are irresponsible dog and cat owners, heck, theres people incapable of caring for a plant. "Animal rights" organizations (not naming any names here- those at the one who starts with the letter "P":54:) is one of the biggest perpetuators of such misinformation and outright lies, and such organizations ENCOURAGE their members to take a self-righteous, non-informed stance to aggressively harass others with. It's why I cannot join or align myself with such groups. I can back up my opinions with FACT or admit when I don't understand a subject enough to pose a logic argument/have a valid opinion (and expect no one else to share my views). When I encounter such people, I feel sorry for them making themselves look so ignorant. Kiwi wouldn't survive a week "in nature", but he's spoiled rotten in the only kind of life HE KNOWS. Grrr....sorry for the rant but this is one of my pet peeves....

Ducatimom

Jun 10, 2014
Media
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
6 yr old Sun Conure (Ducati)

I'm speechless!! I read that and I looked like this --->:eek: Ate the family pet!! LITERALLY!

I had the same look on my face!! How horrible to do that to someone who depended on you to care for them! Then to make jokes about it....deeply disturbed people.

I got upset when my parents took our two older family dogs to a no kill shelter because they were older and my parents had gotten a younger Dachshund. Our poor Golden Retriever and Schnauzer were so neglected it was ridiculous. I went home and the Golden's (Sadie) nails had grown so long they were curling. Still have a little scar on my arm where she scratched just by jumping up on me. Beau's hair had grown so long they were covering his eyes and he had gone slightly deaf and blind.

I consider my pets family, they're not just a pet. They're my kids. I just couldn't do that to my kids.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Was there any other punishment this monkey made you go through?

Her name was Scooter and she hated me with a passion. I usually wear my hair in a pony tail, and if I walked too close to her cage she would grab my ponytail and slam my head into the bars:( I had a dachsund at the time, and she was always barking at Scooter from across the room. One day she walked too close to the cage and Scooter snatched her up by the tail and slammed her into the bars as well. The dog never barked at her or went close to the cage ever again.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
What Terry57's pet Scooter reveals about her.....

that she's responsible for the Rise of the Planet of the Apes? :D

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Her name was Scooter and she hated me with a passion. I usually wear my hair in a pony tail, and if I walked too close to her cage she would grab my ponytail and slam my head into the bars:( I had a dachsund at the time, and she was always barking at Scooter from across the room. One day she walked too close to the cage and Scooter snatched her up by the tail and slammed her into the bars as well. The dog never barked at her or went close to the cage ever again.

YIKES TERRY!!! :eek::eek:. She needed a closer bar spacing I think?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
What Terry57's pet Scooter reveals about her.....

that she's responsible for the Rise of the Planet of the Apes? :D

More like the Apes Will Rise regardless...

Monkeys can be nasty vengeful creatures. They hold grudges and then some! You think parrots are bad?! You ain't seen nothing...

Actually, my dad when he was in Kenya, survived a baboon war. Two tribes of monkeys that didn't like each other decided to rumble over turf... with my Dad's landrover stuck in the middle. Pretty much completely trashed the landrover...

So, yeah, they act just like inner city gang bangers sometimes...

Most Reactions

Latest posts