Which bird to buy?

Luke & Charlie

Nov 22, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Parrots
Cockatoo - 35yr old rescue boy
Turk parrots - aviary bred
Hi All,

I recently rescued a parrot and things are going along slowly but surely. Biggest problems being screaming and Charlie's apparent hate of my partner (he's a cockatoo that draws blood). Any advice gratefully received.

I am considering purchasing a new parrot for my partner, something smaller and handraised so that he can enjoy some parrot interaction and possibly grow in confidence in dealings with Charlie. (Charlie is an important member of our family as a new parrot would be).

What sort of parrot might you recommend for a beginner handler beyond a cockatiel? Will another parrot be detrimental for Charlie and his behaviour development ie screeching, biting my partner? Or would another smaller parrot be beneficial?

We would be looking for a species that didn't contribute to the screeching factor (though understand that most birds make some noise for some of the day!).

Appreciate any guidance!

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Hello, a Pionus is a great first time parrot. It is calm and quiet. They don't investigate much so it's usually a good addition to someone with another bird already. They are not too territorial and very easy going. I love my Pi! I never worry about her bothering the others or being aggressive with a newcomer. I am a Conure breeder (Green Cheeks) and no matter how silly those babies can be stealing her food or playing on her cage, she'll never bite them. At my house she is our "Mother Goose" !!!:heart:

Look into them they are a gem.....:)

Most Reactions