Which cockatoo specie?

OP
Moonlight

Moonlight

Jan 11, 2014
It's strange cause she has light blue eye ring and very pale yellow ear patches... you can't really see them on the picture... they are very faded... So that leaves, the fitzroi the triton and the eleonora...

They are talking about beak differences but its hard for me to evaluate...

OP
Moonlight

Moonlight

Jan 11, 2014
They say that the greater sulfur has pale yellow ear covert but white eye ring... so I guess she canT be it...

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm looking forward to hearing what species she is, either way she's a lovely girl. I can tell by the photos her plucking is not too severe yet. Have you decided when you are going to bring her home?

I have been struggling with a difficult decision concerning two birds since Friday. Yesterday a friend helped me make the right decision with this beautiful quote from Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way." - MLK Jr.

It was funny that she sent that particular quote since she knew nothing about my dilemma. I'm not saying you should adopt a child based on poetry but it was very encouraging never the less.

OP
Moonlight

Moonlight

Jan 11, 2014
If it was only up to me, she would be here already but my husband hasn't made his mind yet... He thinks that 1000$ is a high price to pay for a bird that might have been traumatized and that may never grow back all its feathers...

I'm still hoping!

OP
Moonlight

Moonlight

Jan 11, 2014
I know... This seems high... Plus the cage, play stand, toys, etc...

I think 500$ would be more reasonnable in this particular case...

OP
Moonlight

Moonlight

Jan 11, 2014
What do you think would be a fair price for her specie and her condition?

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Based on the cockatoo species Wendy posted, and your description of her, she seems like maybe a fitzroy to me --I could be wrong though.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Maybe offer the $500 and see what happens- the worst that can happen is they say no.

Do you have a cage for her, or would you have to get one?

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
They aren't the original owners, why are they passing him on? (for a very high price assuming you're in the USA)
Sorry to sound negative but owners can tell you lots of stories of their origins and use magic words like "adoption" and "rescue" but asking that much money sounds more like a profit making bird flipper, not someone concerned for the bird's well being. CraigsList?
Almost positive that he's a Triton, looks exactly like my Butchie. Pale blue eye rings, extremely faint (almost invisible) yellow ear patches and yellow underwing and undertail feathers.

Last edited:
OP
Moonlight

Moonlight

Jan 11, 2014
Hi really hope that this type of commerce ''bird flipping'' doens't exist cause its awfull! :(

So you reallt think she's a Triton? More than an eleonora or a fitzroy?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi really hope that this type of commerce ''bird flipping'' doens't exist cause its awfull! :(

So you reallt think she's a Triton? More than an eleonora or a fitzroy?

In order to figure out exactly what type she is, we would have to know her weight and size, and even then we may not be 100% accurate, especially if she is a hybrid. :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Different species can mate together in the wild?

Is this Cockatoo a wild caught? If so, I doubt he is a hybrid. I don't know enough of their natural habitat, and where different species live, and possibly cohabitate the same area.

OP
Moonlight

Moonlight

Jan 11, 2014
I don't think it was wild caught cause I leave in Quebec and it seems that it was originally bought in Montreal...

OP
Moonlight

Moonlight

Jan 11, 2014
So does any of you have a Triton and what has been your experience with it?

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
Love him to death but 95% of the time he's either quiet and passive or a loud, chatty, funny guy who loves life. The other 5% he's a terror.. Screaming, biting, and just being a general PITA.

Most Reactions

Latest posts