Which is the right conure for me?

echoskybound

Mar 30, 2011
Media
Parrots
Wheatley - 4 year old Green Cheek Conure
Hey all! I'm not a bird owner, but I'm thinking seriously on it and want to put several more months of research into it, but first I'm wondering if conures are the right bird for me and which one I'd want.

The two I'm considering are Green Cheeks and Jendays. I haven't seen a Jenday in person, but I've met a few Green Cheeks and I love their playful little temperaments. I've read that the Green Cheeks are more quiet, but the Jendays are more affectionate.

I also have a few other conure related questions:
-Are these appropriate birds for someone who works full time?
-Should their wings be clipped?
-Are there any major differences between males and females?

Thanks everyone! I super appreciate any feedback :]

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
No sexual difference in appearance, the ones I had were surgically sexed with tatoos on the inside of the wings to tell the different sex. Males have tatoo on the right wing while the females was on the left. I thought there's better way to identify them cause they were close banded, could go by the band....

Green Cheeks are more quieter yes! One of my conures was a Jenday and he screams all the time! Hence I do not own a conure now days even when people try to give Sun Conures to me I decline! My partner wants one but I don't...

My conures didn't mind us working full time....but you must spend time with them!

Clipping the wings can save you on heartaches if he tries to fly out the door. Also help if you need to train. For me, I don't clip unless I have to. Out of all my birds only one is clipped cause he's super mean(one of the tiels)...I can't catch him well if he's flying.. I keep them in aviary but I take them out during checkups and such....

Adz

Jan 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
My partner and I work full time and my GCC is pretty good, I give him lots of things to play with in his cage, rotate them often and also include foraging toys to keep him entertained. We spend all our time a home with him out of the cage which is ideal, he loves it.

Clipping his wings made it MUCH easier to train and control him. Plus, he LOVES to go outside and play.

He's a very quiet bird although he does get quite excited and scream more often now but it's more funny than annoying and it's rare.

Most Reactions

Latest posts