Why do you think yellow shouldered amazons aren't that popular?

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
I can't find one bad quality with Mango. He is full of personality, colorful and has really cute antics.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I "think" they've gained a LOT of popularity as of late because of those exact trades you mentioned. :)

I believe in the past they were often overlooked due to their size, and because they are not known to be as good as talkers as other Amazons.

OP
Billy29

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
I'm not sure size would have to do with it because some people like the smaller conures because they require a smaller setup. We all know Sun Conures aren't lacking in personality.

From what I have been hearing is that some yellow shoulders are good talkers, they just aren't noisy. Mango knows a few words but during the day he doesn't have much to say. If I put some music on then he gets silly and all sorts of stuff comes out of his mouth. I wasn't even trying to teach him to say good boy.

Mango knows more words than my cockatiel did but he doesn't talk as much.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
So why do YOU think they aren't "as" popular then? :confused:

When I first started researching Amazons (a couple of decades ago), the Panama Amazon was HIGHLY recommended because it was the whole package. Sweet, laid back, and EXCELLENT talker.

The BFA, DYH and YN have ALWAYS been popular, despite being considered the hot threes.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It's all about what birds were readily available to breeders when they could be legally imported, and what they thought they could sell.

DYH amazons, for example, tend to have short tempers, but they were the best talkers, even though they tend to be the most behaviorally challenged...

Some of the sweetest amazons out there don't really show-off talk... so they imported and sold less of them, and there are even less available now.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I guess out of 27 species , they all can't be popular. I know around Venezuela, where they come from, they are popular , but have a rep for being aggressive. Birdman is right in that the more heavily imported birds became more popular. Venezuela is a country that stopped exports quickier than many other SA countries. However ,at least around here, YSA are fairly common and relatively cheap, unweaned 300, weaned 500 and proven pairs about 1000. I recently passed on 2 pairs for 1500, no real demand.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Imagine how I felt when I discovered how *very* few and far between Tucumans are lol. My Avet said she hadn't seen one in YEARS Lol but I felt like the luckiest girl in world! Because Jackie was awesome in my eyes I didn't understand why there weren't popular either.

There's a few diamonds in the rough out there ;)

(sorry to derail your thread Billy lol)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Same reason it can be hard to find TAGS, but CAGS are plentiful.

"Bigger is better, and can be sold for more." Even though of the two, tags tend to be the less neurotic of the two, and are just as smart, and just as good at talking...

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
I have 2 Zons YSA and DYHA, so I can compare.
It's like having 2 different creatures in the house.
My YSA knows she is a bird while DYHA thinks she is a human.

It's a big puzzle for me too.
I can only say, my YSA is beautiful, smart, VERY sweet and VERY quiet parrot.
The only thing comes to mind is YSA's are not as good at talking. If someone is ready to get an Amazon parrot, they probably would rather go for the one that is going to talk.....I guess.
Marley is very quiet compare to Simba. She hardly ever raises her voice, usually only if I spend too much time with Simba or take Simba downstairs and leave Marley in the bird room. Sometimes when Simba gets really loud talking and singing, Marley is trying too, but her attempts sound more like screams........
Having YSA I can say she is a great pet bird, no doubt.
But they are rare.....I know that, because the Avian (and one of the best) Vet I took her to was not even sure what the heck she is until I told him.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
I always find it a 'blessing in disguise' when a particular breed or species isn't 'popular.' Unfortunately when any breed (don't matter if dog or parrot, or cat, or whatever) becomes popular there comes a population explosion based on profit and it always negatively affects the gene pool.

Most Reactions