Wild Turkeys

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
There #'s have been growing in our area. These are just about a mile from my house. I was shocked yesterday on the way home to see so many. I tried to get closer but once I opened the car door they moved closer to the woods. Cell phone camera is not the best. I think there are about 25 in this flock

christinenc2000-albums-new-picture16114-turkey2.jpg

christinenc2000-albums-new-picture16113-turkey.jpg

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
LOL Nope . Just wild. They were being hunted so much there #'s had gone down but now building back up .

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Don't tell me hunted around Thanksgiving and Christmas time lol.
Certainly and interesting site to see and not something I've experienced before.

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
They are wonderful to watch . When the mail fans out his tail feather's you can't help but smile lol. I will see if I can get some pictures of that for you this spring.

Its funny because this one field you can see Turkey, Deer and Bear. Not at the same time of course lol

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
Pretty common sight around here these days, we had a couple standoffs between the turkeys and the chickens this fall over apples, lol, pretty funny to watch!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
They are wonderful to watch . When the mail fans out his tail feather's you can't help but smile lol. I will see if I can get some pictures of that for you this spring.

Its funny because this one field you can see Turkey, Deer and Bear. Not at the same time of course lol

Well, sometimes you'll see them all at once...

After a little while, all you see is a belching bear. :p

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
Once while walking my then-toddler twins around the neighborhood in a wagon, I turned the corner and encountered a wild turkey gang. I turned to walk back toward home and they followed me all the way down the street, the whole group occasionally charging closer and making angry sounds. I was scared out of my mind because they are bigger than I thought and seemed really mean. I've hated them ever since.

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MjgQiYyApo"]Turkeys Attack Falmouth mailman "Every day." - YouTube[/ame]

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
That video is hilarious and horrifying at the same time. Poor mailman has to carry a stick!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That video is hilarious and horrifying at the same time. Poor mailman has to carry a stick!

I'm sure they have to deal with all sorts of territorial animals... Kinda reminds me of that Farmers commercial though.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'd be bringing a machete not a stick, lol

I was thinking one of those walking stick tazers... have you seen those?

Who wants fried turkey for lunch?! :D

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
...just now seeing this.

I tell you all what, I don't mind the wild turkeys as long as they stay in a 'safe' distance. :54: The toms in my neck of the woods get so 'ballsy' they hop on top of your car and won't let you get in! No, I'm not kidding, I've seen it. I've seen grown men (and women) being chased down by those toms. And yeah, I died laughing (cause it wasn't me). :21:

And no, they're not too tasty. The one we made (decades ago) was rather....tough. :D

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Ok. I'm going to get involved in this thread. I've hunted wild turkeys all my life. All over the US and .CA. I also breed wild turkeys and sell eggs. I have 3 outside pens with Wild Turkey (Osceola). I sell hatching eggs and adult gobblers for hunting. I also have "pet" turkeys in the yard. All you have to do is "dominate" the toms. I hold them down on the ground until they've had enough. Once you show t hem you are the boss they are happy to follow your lead. Have you ever watched them fight each other? It a contest of who can "pin" then other. Once they have been "whipped" they understand their place in the pecking order. If i was that mail man, in less than a week those toms would not be an issue. Truth be known, those are probably turkeys raised in an incubator.

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Thanks Henpecked that was very interesting.
On a lighter note should we be all looking on Youtube for 'Mail Man sitting on a Turkey' videos.
LOL

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Ok, not a mailman sitting on a turkey...but a reporter shaking in her shoes. LMAO!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItKrnhvALc4"]'Terrible Tom' the wild turkey causes reporter to lose her head - YouTube[/ame]

Most Reactions

Latest posts