Will not venture far from cage

loud_lola

Jul 13, 2013
We recently got a baby sun conure that is about 5 months old (from a breeder). We have come pretty far because she was quite scared and constantly tried to bite our fingers when we tried to offer treats. Anyways, with the help of clicker training she is comfortable taking treats from us, stepping up and even sits on my shoulder. The issues we have is that she never ventures far from her cage. When she is on my shoulder I slowly walk backwards away from her cage but she quickly flys back to her comfort zone. I have even tried the clicker training away from the cage but again fly's back to her cage. She is clipped but can fly short distances.

Should I just give her time?

I was thinking of building her a play gym out of tree branches and possibly place it away from the cage to encourage her to be away from her cage more so she can understand that its safe and fun.

Also was your conure always affectionate? She still does not feel comfortable being touched (only her beak) or did you have to work at it?

Thanks in advance for your responses.:rainbow1:

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
this brings back memories. my conure would not leave the top of his cage for the first 6 weeks, loved being on me, but if I walked away from his safety zone, he'd fly off me and back to his cage
So I figured,,,what' the hurry?....he'll adjust in his own time, and he did. they don't trust you enough to be away from their safety zone.
You can't push them, but encouraging takes time.

You could try a play area close by the cage, once he's comfortable on it, for a period of time, you could gradually move it away and inch or two, slowly day by day.

Not all birds are friendly and you have to develop a bond/trust, it takes time and a lot of patience, but well worth the effort

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Give her some time :)

Before you know it, she's going to be all over your cabinets, window sills, tables, keyboard, sink and you're going to wish she was a little more attached to her cage haha!

That said, I guess it will depend on the sun's personality too. Some are bit more adventurous, others are more reserved.

Melandkids

Feb 24, 2013
Media
Florida
Parrots
Athena -blue crowned conure
Zeus - sun conure
Josey- B&G
Mine would never venture away from the cage. I let their wings grow out. It has been amazing watching Zeus test himself. He started just a little at a time. Athena will fly but not like Zeus. He is so beautiful in flight. It took me two years with Zeus. He was a rehome. But I wanted to take my time with him. He trust me now. Athena was bought and we bonded right away. You are doing a great job ... In no time yours will be all over the place

AnnieandPip

Jul 10, 2013
PA
Parrots
Pip my GCC.
Thank you so much for posting this thread. I am having the same issue with my green cheek. Got him yesterday. I do the same thing. Slowly back away from the cage. He is good once I get far enough away. If he gets too nervous tho he runs to me, runs up my arm and hides under my ponytail so only his little head peaks out. If he gets REALLY nervous he will dive down my shirt. Lol. Conures are such funny little birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts