Words of advice for new Sun Conure?

lycansoul

May 18, 2012
Hawaii
Parrots
Vash (cinnamon conure)
Knives (sun conure)
Recently got a sun Conure and his behavior is baffling me! So far he hates being taken out of his cage and will run in circles when I try to pick him up. I don't like forcing him out but I don't know how else to start teaching him to step and get used to being handled. Once he's out of the cage he'll sit quietly in my hands and even let me cradle him! But if I'm holding him on my chest or shoulder he is constantly hissing and lunging at my face. :( Whenever he lunges at my fingers he stop and just nibbles and has not bit me yet. But I'm afraid when he lunges for my face cause I am not sure if he will stop like he does for my fingers or if he will actually bite. What an I do to get him to stop hissing and lunging. And how do I teach him that leaving the cage is a good thing? Also, is it possible he just acting like thiscause he's in a new enviroment and new cage? For like the 2nd time in a little over a month? Previous owners said that his kids played with him all the time. Although maybe he lied cause Knives does not even know how to step up!

Last edited:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
What you're doing is called flooding and leaves the bird in a state, where it has just given up...

You need to take your time, and let your bird set the pace... Get him to trust you.. Talk to him, sing to him, change his food and water, while you're quietly/calmly talking/singing... At the moment, leaving his cage is only a good thing for you... He is terrified...

OP
L

lycansoul

May 18, 2012
Hawaii
Parrots
Vash (cinnamon conure)
Knives (sun conure)
What you're doing is called flooding and leaves the bird in a state, where it has just given up...

You need to take your time, and let your bird set the pace... Get him to trust you.. Talk to him, sing to him, change his food and water, while you're quietly/calmly talking/singing... At the moment, leaving his cage is only a good thing for you... He is terrified...

Like I said he doesn't bite at all ._. Or even squawk. Just runs in circle til I pick him up then he doesn't try to escape or jump from his cage he just chills out. And he only ever lunges for my face. He rarely lunges for my fingers and if he does he just licks and stops. And if I flip him on hisbck he just sits there til he gets bored with me petting his belly and then he rights himself and hops around my hands. Idk how that counts as terrified. I just don't understand why he lunges for my face x.x

Sulphiria

Banned
Banned
Mar 12, 2012
Deltona, Florida
Sounds to me like the bird hasn't been socialized much and isn't really tame. He eventually just gives up and lets you pick him up and do what you want, which isn't good. Birds take time to become bonded with new people and familiar with new places and the process could take months. The more you force things, the more problems you could end up having.

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
I know you have the best interest of the bird at heart, it may be beneficial to allow hem to come out of his cage on his own terms. Open the door, have yummy treats outside, keep a playgym at the door ect so that he does not feel defensive and scared. I know that he is allowing you to handle him, but giving him the choice is the best way to build a lasting relationship. A bird on his back is very vulnerable, so maybe that could wait till he has gained more confidence. I think that keeping him away from your face is the best way to prevent lunging at this time, as he gains confidence I imagine that he will stop this behavior on his own. Good luck.

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
I think he is acting this way only because it is a new environment. He needs time to adjust is all. I would open his cage door, but not force him out. He will come out when he is ready. If he doesn't come out, just sit by his cage and talk to him. Let him get to know you. He will eventually feel safe and come out more and more. But it takes lots of time and patience when you bring a new parrot in the home. I will bet he will be a wonderful addition to your family after he has settled in. It just takes more time then sometimes we think it should. Good luck! He will come around in time.

patch

May 14, 2012
Parrots
Nanday mutation
When I got Pepper, he was a nervous wreck. What others are telling you is a great plan: don't force him to do things, but talk to him and sing while you're changing his food and water or cleaning up any messes. I spent time reading and just sharing a room with Pepper. Now he's a love bug, but of course he has his stubborn days. It's taken months to get him to this point, so have patience. It's worth it in the end for a sweet little bird!

Most Reactions