Worried: Favoring foot after blood test

LittleRedHen

Jun 13, 2020
Greater Metro Detroit Area
Parrots
Homer (male GCC) - DOB 1.9.19
Frida (female cockatiel) - DOB 7.2.19 (RIP)
Gus (male quaker) - DOB 7.20.20
So, I took Homer in to be tested for beak and feather, borna, etc...anything he would need to be boarded. Gus already had his test, so he got out of it.

I was told to expect Homer to have a little trouble perching, since they cut the nail so short.

It's been a week, and he's still favoring that foot. By "favoring" I mean he keeps it tucked up when he's not walking.

He's still eating well, and he still plays with toys but I'm worried. That foot is warm to the touch, though there is no swelling and he tolerates me handling it.

Any thoughts? Is it possible that they hurt him when they were doing the clip?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi! Some vet aids are less than gentle when holding parrots for grooming and getting blood samples. They may have bruised him in holding his feet and legs imobile. I'd watch him closely and if the favoring is still present 3 days from now, give the vet a call.

OP
L

LittleRedHen

Jun 13, 2020
Parrots
Thanks! He already has an appointment, which I'll cancel if it resolves.

I need to stay off the internet, everything that came up when I googled was spelling out certain doom...

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I have trimmed a toe to shirt before. Abd it was warm and kept tucked often too. I called the ouchie foot and fed so many treats from the guilt. I think you will be ok. Sometimes it can get infected abd woukd swell abd be warm and redder.

Good luck

OP
L

LittleRedHen

Jun 13, 2020
Parrots
The foot thing resolved! You guys were correct...thanks for giving me peace of mind!

Most Reactions

Latest posts