Mayron

Oct 26, 2012
Parrots
Blue n gold macaw
Lovebirds
Kito, my 2year peach faced lutino lovebird diet is 100% only pellets. He doesn't eat fruits or vegetable.. Is this safe? Please i love Kito and need help! Can i add vitamins in water?

actually, that amount is WAY too high. ideally, his diet should be only 20-30% pellets, the rest seeds and veggies. but because veggies arent liked so well, i'd do 30% pellets and the rest seeds and keep working on veggies.

have you tried birdie bread? its a great way to sneak in veggies :D

a diet too high in pellets can destroy a bird's kidneys in the long run, as the amount of protein is way too high for little birds. also, being a bird from an arid habitat, the food they naturally have evolved on is not very high in nutrients, where pellets ARE high in nutrients, which the lovebird has not evolved to eat and its little body cannot take in the amount of nutrients that the pellets have. so you need to lower the amount of pellets in the diet and add seed to the diet, and work on veggies as best as you can.

try birdie bread, mash, chop, different ways of serving the veggies... even try different dishes (trust me, my birds can be picky over what kind of dish they eat their veggies out of lol)

:)

What pellet are you feeding? The Harrison's extra fine has less protein in it designed for the smaller birds like tiels and budgies.

Fruits and veggies are important, I try to do 50% pellets and 50% other foods on good days. Rosie normally does 80% pellets because she throws most of her fresh veggies on the floor but Kenji is really good about eating his fresh foods.

My Lovies utterly refused to eat veggies, so I started with grass. Right now, we have Winter Grass (Poa annua) seeding and so that's what I'm giving them. They love chomping on the seed heads and will make a fair meal of the leaves as they rummage through the bunch.

Another thing I've noticed with my Lovies is that they're *far* more likely to eat stuff I've poked through the cage wire up near their perches. They seem extremely reluctant to eat things off the ground. So, you might try hanging bunches of leafy greens (spinach leaves, broccoli, cabbage) up high. You could also affix a stainless steel coop cup up high and fill it with chop or grated veggies. (Mine won't eat chop - they're suspicious of it). I grow a lot of veggies and so I offer the Lovies the greens off of things like parsnip, turnip, carrot etc - they love them now.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on, won't you? :)

100% pellet is not considered to be 'healthy' and can ultimately shorten the life of the bird. The exact mix and the pellet type can vary from bird to bird and in that case, it is often best to consult a vet, do a blood panel, etc.
With my sun conure i was feeding the harrisons coarse (she loved it and ate it well) and mostly veggies with some pasta and sometimes some fruit. Her diet was probably 80% pellet though for a while. I was shocked to learn she wasn't getting enough protein (blood work) and i had to feed her the high potency harrisons and give her more nutritious and calorie dense table foods. (I always heard "never let your bird gain much weight, your bird will get fat if you let her have a nut" etc and i kept her on mostly veggies and pellets.) Anyhow after her blood work, i let her have some nuts and occasional seed treats, the high potency food, and so on. She was happier and healthier! So i think the variety is really important!

Are the pellets fortified with vitamins/minerals, and a good brand like Harrison's? I don't know what the percentages should be as to pellets/seed/veggies, have you asked your vet?

I tried to start my girls on Harrison's. They still won't eat it and hardly ever eat veggies/fruits either so they are almost 100% seed mix, plus millet.

Thank you all guys! Now i can improve the life of my little angel!
Look at the properties of my pellet
-Crude protein (min.) 14,0%
-fibrous material (max) 3,0%
-mineral material 4,0%
sorry about translate, i live in brazil =)

One thing that I've never seen refused is the flowering stalks of herbs, like basil for example. They beg to be eaten, very nutritious. They're hard wired to go for flowering stalks, not so much as with leaves. The ones in the pic I included are from Indian basil (tulsi). You may be pleasantly surprised. :)

Last edited:
Hmm, my 6 lovebirds are not on pellet diet at all.
Can someone advise how I can further improve but I doubt they can accept pellets in their diet.

I am considering incorporating Lafeber as I read reviews that it is easily accepted by birds. Any comments?

Lafeber, as in the Nutriberries and/or Avicakes? My birds have all loved these. Nutriberries are like some kind of candy around here. I have also used the Harrisons mash (I think that's what it is called--it's like powdered pellet) and tossed over the seed mix when I fed it. I had a budgie who would eat nothing but seed and refused to switch, refused fruit, etc. I tried different tactics to get him to expand his diet.

I think half that amount of pellets and try to get her to eat veggies, fruits, and seeds! If they don't have seed, an organ in their body that is made for seeds and outer things will shut down and it cases the body to shut down so it is very important! Try baking veggies and fruits into fun muffin or cake recipes for birds!

I think half that amount of pellets and try to get her to eat veggies, fruits, and seeds! If they don't have seed, an organ in their body that is made for seeds and outer things will shut down and it cases the body to shut down so it is very important! Try baking veggies and fruits into fun muffin or cake recipes for birds!

I'm sorry, but I've never heard of this, I'm not disputing it, nor do I disagree (or agree) I'm just wondering where you found this information, and if you could provide any links?

Kalidasa, an all seed diet can lead to fatty liver disease/liver failure. A high pelleted diet can lead to kidney failure and gout. This is probably what kq-fan was thinking of?

It's mainly an issue for small species who's primary diet is made of seeds, not larger species that rely more so on fruits rather than seeds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back