17 Year Cicadas have emerged in my area

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I kept hearing people nearby having sightings but i hadn't seen any. Last night while mowing my grass I saw some little holes in the ground and said 'hmm'. This morning when i was out with my dogs, i saw about 10 of them right away. THEY'RE HERE.....
947302_10151627453524707_15619052_n.jpg

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
AWESOME!!!! I can't wait to see them. I know...I'm weird...but I LOVE bugs (except anything in the wasp family) :D

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I love insects myself...we get them here also....although I've never eaten them.

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
i saw them early when i was still out in my pajamas with my dogs, and i just used my phone to get pics. i have one, unfortunately slightly blurry, where the cicada is just coming out of his shell. it's pretty cool. i 'fear' bugs in a creepy way, but i find them fascinating and i guess part of me feels sorry for how much people hate them and step on them and all that. i do my best not to kill bugs except as a last resort. i carry them outside, away from my house.
and cicadas supposedly taste good but thank god i'm a vegetarian, LOL

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
weirdness, right??
942379_10151627590144707_2100227479_n.jpg

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
There would be nothing I could ever do to convince my birds to eat one of those. I'd have to bake them in bird-bread. Ew. Or not. I'll stick to egg yolks.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
They are an excellent source of protein

I think I'll run outside now and catch me some lunch!

I totally agree Grey, but my birds can have what's left, though I guess there'll be plenty for everybody.....

Frying in sesame oil, with a bit of garlic works well.....just be sure to pull off the wings, antennae & legs before consumption.....those items tend to get stuck between your teeth.....

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
I remember while living in Maryland many years ago there were swarms of the 17 year Cicadas that would cause people to have car accidents. People would be driving with their windows down and a swarm would come out of nowhere and and some would enter the car windows causing the crashes! Crazy!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
They are an excellent source of protein

I totally agree Grey, but my birds can have what's left, though I guess there'll be plenty for everybody.....

Frying in sesame oil, with a bit of garlic works well.....just be sure to pull off the wings, antennae & legs before consumption.....those items tend to get stuck between your teeth.....

I prefer them raw and alive. I just remove 1 leg to use as a toothpick afterwards. :30:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian

I prefer them raw and alive. I just remove 1 leg to use as a toothpick afterwards. :30:

Since their joints don't stiffen, that must be the reason you keep those forceps around.....for holding short things ? ? ?

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
I've never seen Cicadas before....we live too far up north. x/ Yet I'm not even 20, so...

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
woah! Ive never actually seen them coming out thats so cool! I LOVE bugs (not for food as i'm vegan) Insects are just awesome except crickets they are the only animal i have a huge fear of!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
That's awesome! I've only ever seen one cicada here in CA, but I hear them every summer. We don't get massive amounts though, just a few here and there and they aren't as loud.

One year in Nebraska while at my parents house the droning of the cicadas was so intense XD I looked so hard to find one but I never did, so strange to not find a huge bug when your surrounded haha.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I kept hearing people nearby having sightings but i hadn't seen any. Last night while mowing my grass I saw some little holes in the ground and said 'hmm'. This morning when i was out with my dogs, i saw about 10 of them right away. THEY'RE HERE.....
947302_10151627453524707_15619052_n.jpg

That picture you posted is a female! I used to collect them as pets when I was young. When we had a swarm a few years ago my dogs went crazy eating them. They were everywhere....

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
AHA, how do you tell the difference between male and female?
I saw SO MANY birds in my yard today, even standing on my porch railing, and didn't even see the "empty shells" of them. I suspect there could have been an avian feast in my yard.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
AHA, how do you tell the difference between male and female?
I saw SO MANY birds in my yard today, even standing on my porch railing, and didn't even see the "empty shells" of them. I suspect there could have been an avian feast in my yard.

The males buzz and females have pointed tail part.

Most Reactions

Latest posts