2 amazon yellow napes need new home

OP
B

buggyboo

Jul 16, 2019
Stopped by to wish everyone well, 2020 just keeps going down for us.

I still very much need to find a home for my 2 AYNs help of any kind is both greatly needed
and appreciated.

Thanks
b

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I am sorry your having trouble find your birds a home. You could try adoptapet.com an adoption fee is required but it goes to a rescue or shelter of your choice (does not have to a bird rescue).

I am very fond of the rescue called Ruffled feathers Sanctuary and rescue (based in Hanover pa and Florida) They are a bird rescue that rescues go too. The have an emergency response system in place as well. They will rehome your birds for you (they have a facility not foster homes) if you request it or the birds live out their lives well loved in a sanctuary. They have an aviary in Florida. They dedicate their lives to birds and just by talking to them you can tell. Donā€™t take my word for it look them up and call. If location is feasible Iā€™m sure you could even visit their aviary!

Last edited:
OP
B

buggyboo

Jul 16, 2019
Thanks LRB ill take a look at the places you sggested,

I thought i had a home and after weeks of waiting it didnt work out.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I sure hope a great home is found..
And that this year is better, sooon

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Have you considered (and this is a long-shot...) making a video with them in it, explaining the situation and then posting it to a bird sanctuary's Youtube? Over even to the account of a verified user with a rescue history?

OP
B

buggyboo

Jul 16, 2019
I spoke with Gil at ruffled feathers for at least an hour tonight very kind fellow and he sure loves birds,

They arent adopting out and my guys would live there lives with them with other birds,
They are relocating about 40 miles from me, they will send out update pictures and videos but
they dont let you come visit your bird,

Im very happy with them so far but would love more feedback , littleredbeak you sound like you have

Personal experence with them could you please share a bit more,

Thanks all!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
At some point all Bird Sanctuary's close, commonly caused by a lack of funds or illness /age of the owner. At that point, all the Birds are sold. With luck, the owner(s) see it coming and begin selling the Birds prior to foreclosure and/or a government shutting down the facility because of a lack of care. At least once a year, the local and sometimes Nation News will spotlight such a shutdown in North America.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Iā€™ve called Gil a few times for advice and spoke to him at length. He and his wife have dedicated over 50 years of their lives to birds and Iā€™ve learned so much from speaking with him. I wish heā€™d write a book or do a podcast! If I didnā€™t have anyone I trusted to take care of my birds Iā€™d give them to Gil and his wife at Ruffle feathers Rescue and sanctuary. This is a big decision - google them and really think about it. Pretend you already made the decision and see how you feel. You know your birds best. All my interactions with Ruffled Feathers/Gil has been all positive.

Is there an option to volunteer? This way you can still see your birds and maybe help other birds?

Last edited:
OP
B

buggyboo

Jul 16, 2019
Iā€™ve called Gil a few times for advice and spoke to him at length. He and his wife have dedicated over 50 years of their lives to birds and Iā€™ve learned so much from speaking with him. I wish heā€™d write a book or do a podcast! If I didnā€™t have anyone I trusted to take care of my birds Iā€™d give them to Gil and his wife at Ruffle feathers Rescue and sanctuary. This is a big decision - google them and really think about it. Pretend you already made the decision and see how you feel. You know your birds best. All my interactions with Ruffled Feathers/Gil has been all positive.

Is there an option to volunteer? This way you can still see your birds and maybe help other birds?

Please understand ive been trying to rehome my guys for over a year and i understand its not easy to find a home im comfortable with, and ive ran into countless flakes loons and out right scammers,

I spoke to gil about 2 hours one night and i agree he seems to know his stuff when it comes to parrots,
I have nervious issues, OCD, ADD, panic etc and im very detailed minded, and some questions i asked gil became very long in reply and a few things i believe would raise red flags so im sharing it here to get other opinions as im not without flaws.

The so called "sanctuaries" i have come across were all more a case of bird horders who want the person who needs to rehome their birds pay them very large fees in other words they want someone else to support their habit of bird hording,

A lot of folks in my situation cannot afford to pay 1000s to rehome their birds.

Gil assured me that there were no fees, donations are great and he also assured me my birds wouldnt be adopted out but rather live at RFs.

Ruffled feathers is moving here to fl about 30 miles from me which sounded perfect a dream come true but then i ask about stopping by to see my birds settled in,

And No, i didnt mean i wanted to sit and play with my birds for hours i just wanted to briefly see the place and see my birds in it.

Gils reply was long to the point of feeling convoluted to me but the jist i got is no, i can never visit the center to see it and i cannot ever see my birds there, he said pethaps at a future date he would meet me somewhere with my birds and i could visit them that way,

I tried to explain what i desired wasnt a play visit i just wanted to see the place and my birds in it and the impression i got since the answer was vauge was no, i can never come see the place,
I find this a pretty big red flag, i will fully admit i might have gotten confused with gils reply to me.
He said they would provide pictures and video of my birds there but he never seemed to understand that i want to see the place first hand.
How would i know if they even have a place here or that my birds are even there and not adopted out ( sold ).

Keep in mind in pa they had a mall store people would go in see birds and even hold them, things seem to be changing for the fl location although i do not clearly know why.

In addiction i cant even drop my birds off at the center i would have to meet gil in a parking lot or park, this doesnt sound a bit odd to you? Im i the only one who would desire to see their birds new home?

So a few weeks back i asked for pictures of the florida center, i realize they are in the process of moving all they birds down from up north and the fl location is under construction but still a few pictures is all i asked for.
I was told to wait until "spring" for them to be able to meet my comfort assurances i needed. What i needed was to see there really is a fl center.

I hit him today asking what time frame he thinks we are talking about.

Littleredbeak, please understand i thought and still hope RFs is the answer but at this moment its feeling very iffy,

If i understand your experences with RFs you were not trying to rehome birds so perhaps gil wore different hats in his talking to us,

My birds are in need its not an emergency but urgent and i feel i was blown off in a way.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
This screams scam or hoarder to me. That's to me, I have pretty good scam-dar, most New Yorker do.

OP
B

buggyboo

Jul 16, 2019
This screams scam or hoarder to me. That's to me, I have pretty good scam-dar, most New Yorker do.

Thanks capt, yeah its got a lot of red flags, when i asked about coming and seeing the place and my birds in it i get a very long winded winding reply which to me was just a lame cover as to why i could not come see the place with my birds there, if i cant go there what are they hiding?

This of course goes counter to the open store type setting they had in pa, and they plan to have volunteers here but i cant be one which my birds there,

What it really set off in me was they are flippers just very clever ones even though he said they will not be doing adoptions here.

So im torn if they are horders who will keep my birds and take care of them im fine with that its an answer to my dreams but if they are not on the level then its good we are discussing it here so people can see it,

Gil said do the research on them and thats what im doing,
In the mean while my guys are still hunting that new home.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Well yeah, parrots can be big business. They are expensive, don't depreciate, and due to the emotional value with owners, they can be bilked for big bucks too. I wish I could take them, I really do.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I didnā€™t get that vibe when speaking to the rescue but itā€™s really what youā€™re comfortable with. Do you know the history of your birds?

OP
B

buggyboo

Jul 16, 2019
I didnā€™t get that vibe when speaking to the rescue but itā€™s really what youā€™re comfortable with. Do you know the history of your birds?

I got various vibes speaking to gil but its neen a few days since i emailed him and i havent heard back, i assume hes very busy bringing his flock down to fl from pa, i am disappointed as it sounded like a great place for my birds to live out their lives.

Did you either submit a bird to gil or adopt one from him?

OP
B

buggyboo

Jul 16, 2019
My ruffled feathers update:

When i first spoke to gil i got the impression he loved birds, knew a lot about birds and was eager to help my guys.
He talked about rescues in the middle of the night and the only reason we didnt set up a time to give him my guys was he suggested i do my research on them so im comfortable,

Yes i did find it odd that i would never be able to visit the facility but he told me they could send pictures.

A week or so back when i emailed gil about getting my birds to him he suggested to wait until spring so they could meet my needs which only amounts to seeing where my birds would live pictures were good.

I never heard back so i emailed him again last night and the reply today was basically they changed their minds and cannot help my birds, he wrote they are a very large operation and going to get 100 birds who just lost their owner but being a large rescue cannot meet my personal needs which keep in mind was only to see even in pictures where my 2 birds are going.

I do not know what to think , i admit im deflated after gil said he would take my birds and now because i desire to see their facility backed out, so my fault in a way.

I will present the forum with this question was i wrong for needing to see even if it was in pictures where my birds would live?

So im back to square one looking for a stable, loving forever home for my guys,
Thanks all.

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Buggyboo, I'm so sorry it's taking so much to find the right home for your birds. Deep respect for wanting the very best you can do for them. Wish I could help more than just support, but my hands are full with my two now, and I'm at the wrong end of the country from where you are. I do love the yellow napes though. My girl is as sweet as they come.

We must be lucky here. The refuge near me, where I adopted my birds from, is wonderful. I don't know about visiting a bird you've surrendered, but I doubt it would be an issue. It's on a reasonably small scale, probably 50-75 birds at any given time, and they're amazingly well cared for. Adoption process does their best to make sure it's a good fit, and visitation hours are required before the birds can go home with an adoptor.. And no, they don't charge you to surrender them. I just wish there was a similar place near you. Prayers and positive thoughts to you hoping you find just the right place for your birds soon.

OP
B

buggyboo

Jul 16, 2019
Saxguy, thank you!

Let me clarify in case i bumbled it up, when i spoke to gil from ruffled feathers he was very vauge about the whole visting my birds, so i told him i do not need to visit them i simply desire to see your florida facility, and when he was odd about that i said pictures are fine which he agreed to, then backed out saying they are a very large operation and i need to find a small rescue to meet my needs,

I admit im perplexed he said they are heading out to rescue 100 birds at once but sending me a few pictures is overwhelming and asking too much?
It just doesnt make sense to me, in fact this last email from him was imho a whole different attitude and tone.

As i keep saying im all my guys have and unless something happens to me im not just going to dump them without being careful,

The right home is out there and good lord willing i will find it.

Thanks to you and everyone who has been supportive here.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I will throw this back out there. Zakseeā€™s has resolved their legal issues and is back in operation! They welcome volunteers all the time! It is an hours drive for you, go spend a day or three and see what you think! For anyone in the Tampa area, this is my kink of outing!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
If the place wouldn't let you see it. Then backed out. It wasn't the right place. Seriously if they are taking 100, what's 2 more?? I just don't have the money or the space and my flock is little birds, or I would offer.
I sure hope you find a good home soon.

OP
B

buggyboo

Jul 16, 2019
I will throw this back out there. Zakseeā€™s has resolved their legal issues and is back in operation! They welcome volunteers all the time! It is an hours drive for you, go spend a day or three and see what you think! For anyone in the Tampa area, this is my kink of outing!

Thanks, i sent them an email, do you know if they change a fee to take birds,

its a bitter irony that the birds who need help the most owners do not have 1000s per bird to

Get them into a facility, there was one where it was a blantant case the owner was a bird
horder who wanted others to pay for her habit,

Im waiting to hear back from zaksee

Most Reactions