3 Month old GCC get car sick when traveling...

GCC_Kiwi_Dad

May 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Parrots
Green Cheek Pineapple Conure named Kiwi. Hand raised. Possibly female. Under 6 months old. Very tame, happy, and healthy!
3 Month old GCC gets car sick when traveling...

3 Month old GCC gets car sick when traveling... :26:

Newby question:

In your collective experience, is there anything I can do to help with the car sickness or avoid it entirely? Is this more common with younger birds (she's 3 months) or will this just be the case when traveling in the future?

Background:

We have a seasonal home a few hours away we frequent on weekends... I purchased a plastic Wingebago travel cage and put in a rope perch (recommended to help ease the bumps) with food and water trays. We don't cover the cage currently. We'll, like clockwork, our little GCC Kiwi starts to get sick and throws up about a half hour into the 2 hour ride. She then eats and drinks and possibly repeats this once or twice more during the trip.

Seems to do better on highways rather than bumpy back roads (as we all do I suppose). Once settled at our destination, she recovers reasonably quickly and we leave her alone for a time to recover (or just cuddle with her on our chests as preferred).

Last edited:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I have heard younger birds can get car-sick when travelling more so than older ones.

If possible the easiest solution would be to pull over and give her a break every 30 minutes so she doesn't vomit.

Other solutions I've heard of would be to cover the cage, it may help with the disorientation, the other one I've heard seems a bit harsh but is to remove food before travelling and keeping food out of the cage until arriving.

also try doing short trips with them when you can and build up that tolerance to it which may help

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Several things could be going on here to contribute to you're Parrot becoming car sick.

Understand that Parrot's eye sight is designed to see the area around them moving, so as a group, they tend to have less problems with 'motion sickness.' But, that ability is hampered if they are unable to connect what they are feeling, i.e. the thrashing about of the car and the outside world. We work with older Amazons and find that they ride better when they can see what is going on around them. We find that when they can see what is coming (front window) they tend to adjust more quickly. Also, since you are likely traveling the same path, try to provide a signal (word) that a bump or sway is about to happen.

Type of very small cars /medium cars /SUV /van /truck, as each has very different rides and reactions to the road surface and viewing of the outside world. We find that medium sized cars provide a smoother overall ride, whereas the the mid to larger SUV's provide greater viewing of the world around them.

The set-up of the travel carrier is very important to assure a comfort for the Parrot. With our Amazons, we have always used a 'cat sized' three piece plastic carrier, which is modified to include a proper sized perch that is position to place the Parrot at the door opening and set close enough to the door to allow the Parrot to hold onto the door with the Beak.

What and when your pre-feed and feed during the travel. We limit food intake prior to the trip and normally feed when the vehicle is either not moving or on known flat, smooth sections.

Prior to taking a new member of the family on longer travels, we first short travel around town to develop a comfort with the Parrot and can adjust the position in the vehicle, so as to provide the best location and comfort!

Some of our Amazons had problems with their claws and could not hold tight enough. For them, the perch was removed and towels where added to provide a more stable ride position for them, i.e. bottom and side towels.

Position for see and hearing you. We can bring them comfort and reassurance to a greater level when we are visible. Consider using the review mirror as a positioning tool that allows near constance viewing of the driver.

And as alway, like with Humans - see your Avian Vet to determine if there are any medical issues that may be contributing to this issue.

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
There are certain foods and herbs that help with nausea that are also healthy treats, like ginger. I sometimes feed right before we go on a trip.

My pionus parrot got carsick as a baby, but with frequent short drives, she seemed to get accustomed to it. The vomiting stopped, and it didn't take long for her to be playing and looking out the window.

Hope Kiwi can enjoy her car rides soon.

Most Reactions

Latest posts