Adopted budgies, regretting it?

Tobey

Feb 1, 2023
I adopted 2 budgies a couple days ago, and I had been thinking about it for about a month (after my previous budgie passed away). I thought I was ready for the commitment, but I don’t think I am. I want to bring them back to the shelter I got them from, (The ARL, they have a 30 day refund policy), but I feel so bad. I’m a high schooler, and I’m pretty busy.

My mom brought me to the shelter and did all the paperwork, and I feel so terrible just turning back around and telling her “I want to bring them back.”

The birds are super social, and super friendly, and I dont have the time that they seem to want me to spend with them. I know that moving them around can be so stressful though and I don’t want them to be stressed.

And I feel bad for the shelter. They rarely get birds, and they had just gotten an intake of 7 males, 5 females, and a bonded pair of 2 males. I was one of the last people, leaving 2 females that got adopted the next day.

I’m so embarrassed but i dont think I’m ready for the commitment, even though I thought I was.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I think it's admirable of you to be able to recognize your feelings about this.

I visited my ringneck for a couple months before adopting him, and about a week after I brought him home I felt so overwhelmed. That feeling lasted a while, until we figured each other out and I got used to the new routine.

My second parrot was kind of a sudden decision, and I felt bad about it quite a lot at first. He totally changed the dynamic of my little flock, and it was hard for a while, even though he's super fun and now fits in really well.

If you know for sure these two aren't a good fit, returning them can be the right thing to do, and it's better to know now than a year from now. I think knowing your limit is mature and we're ultimately here to support you doing what's best for the parrots.

But if you feel more like it's a case of not being sure and needing to get over the New Bird hump, we are all here to help through that too. Have you and your mom talked about plans for caring for the parrots in a few years? Like, is the expectation that they'd go with you no matter what, or is your mom thinking they'd stay at home if you move for college or a job? Maybe having a chat to her about your feelings might help - that you're worried about their level of care throughout their whole life, and maybe she can help think of ideas to make it work. You could approach it from the perspective that these two are different from your previous budgie, and you want to talk through some things you've noticed since adopting them.

I've never had budgies, so hopefully one of our members who has will see your post and can weigh in about their needs for social interaction. I do think it's possible to work a schedule around them, provide them lots of enrichment like foraging and shredding toys, and they still have each other too for company.

I recently discovered, while caring for someone else's birds temporarily, that I don't feel ok with not giving "full" care to birds in my home. It really bothered me that I didn't have time to do the same level of care and interaction for the visitors as I do for my two parrots, and I just didn't have time every day to do everything else like cooking and cleaning. You know yourself best, and given how thoughtfully you've approached this, I think whichever choice you make, it will be the right one.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Obviously, you have given a lot of thought to this. IMHO - If you truly feel you are not up to the task of giving the care these guys need, then the better act would be to return them to the shelter, in hopes that they will be adopted by someone better able to. A hard decision but in the best interest of the birds.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I adopted 2 budgies a couple days ago, and I had been thinking about it for about a month (after my previous budgie passed away). I thought I was ready for the commitment, but I don’t think I am. I want to bring them back to the shelter I got them from, (The ARL, they have a 30 day refund policy), but I feel so bad. I’m a high schooler, and I’m pretty busy.

My mom brought me to the shelter and did all the paperwork, and I feel so terrible just turning back around and telling her “I want to bring them back.”

The birds are super social, and super friendly, and I dont have the time that they seem to want me to spend with them. I know that moving them around can be so stressful though and I don’t want them to be stressed.

And I feel bad for the shelter. They rarely get birds, and they had just gotten an intake of 7 males, 5 females, and a bonded pair of 2 males. I was one of the last people, leaving 2 females that got adopted the next day.

I’m so embarrassed but i dont think I’m ready for the commitment, even though I thought I was.
Do NOT be embarrassed! Its very brave of you to admit you made a mistake and return the budgies so they can be placed in a more appropriate home. If you feel bad for the shelter, give them a small donation. They will appreciate it. Maybe in a few years when you are more settled you can adopt a budgie or two. You have plenty of time and there will always be budgies in need of forever homes!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I think it is courageous to be able to admit that they're just not a good fit at this point in time. They haven't had a chance to really settle in, and I'm sure they will find a wonderful home if they are returned to the shelter. A small donation, as suggested by DonnaBudgie is a wonderful idea.

Whenever you're ready to have budgies in your life again, please don't forget us here:) I know we'd love an update.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I feel like I have a panic period every time we take in a new animal or I assume a new responsibility. However, you know yourself best! Can you talk your feelings over with your mom? It might help. It’s possible that they will settle in with you and become less overwhelming - but it’s also entirely possible that it is too much for you at this time.

Don’t feel bad about recognizing that! That’s why rescues and shelters have the 30 day period - they want to be sure everyone is happy and that includes you!

OP
T

Tobey

Feb 1, 2023
I need to thank everyone for the super kind messages! It helped calm my nerves about bringing them back to the shelter and think rationally about if i could provide for them. Me and my mom talked over pros and cons and decided that right now, I need to just be a teenager. She says that she can tell its affecting my anxiety a ton and we have decided to bring them back to the shelter. I hope they can get a good home.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
That’s great to hear. I’m so glad you guys are able to communicate so effectively! When I was a teen, I snuck a rabbit home from the pet store while my mom was on holiday in Texas, and my dad didn’t notice until a week later when she came home…

Needless to say, you are much more responsible than I was, and that’s fantastic. Please come back if you ever decide to get another bird, or hang around and pick up on things for when you’re ready again in the future! Best wishes to you.

OP
T

Tobey

Feb 1, 2023
That’s great to hear. I’m so glad you guys are able to communicate so effectively! When I was a teen, I snuck a rabbit home from the pet store while my mom was on holiday in Texas, and my dad didn’t notice until a week later when she came home…

Needless to say, you are much more responsible than I was, and that’s fantastic. Please come back if you ever decide to get another bird, or hang around and pick up on things for when you’re ready again in the future! Best wishes to you.
Yeah, my moms really great. Thanks for being so kind 💛

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I can't say it any better than ravvlet just did.
It shows so much maturity to have this conversation with your Mom, and I think you've made the right decision for everyone for right now.

When you're ready you're going to make a fantastic parront :)

Please come back and see us!

Most Reactions

Latest posts