Alexandrine beak peeling/discoloured

Liamsteinhour

May 16, 2022
Parrots
Alexandrine parrot
Hey guys,
I’ve recently rescued my boy, his roughly around 1 year old. I’ve had him 2 months and he is much healthier and happier but I’ve recently noticed that his beak is discoloured and starting to peel and crack.

I’ve given him mineral blocks, fresh fruit and vegetables and a mix of seeds and pellets and not sure what else to do or give him.

I’m not sure if I should be worried or if a change in diet has caused this?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Liam

Attachments

• EAFB4887-BA5C-4481-8223-A7614DBA9438.jpeg
    EAFB4887-BA5C-4481-8223-A7614DBA9438.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 340
  • 34FB7FA1-166C-40B7-B74C-463AE54FCC39.jpeg
    34FB7FA1-166C-40B7-B74C-463AE54FCC39.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 158

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Handsome guy!

What about some untreated pine blocks or slices for chew toys?

My Quaker gets a long little “tooth” on his beak that I worry about, too.

He’s not a very chewy bird though he crunches his beak constantly when he’s out visiting with me.

OP
L

Liamsteinhour

May 16, 2022
Parrots
Alexandrine parrot
Handsome guy!

What about some untreated pine blocks or slices for chew toys?

My Quaker gets a long little “tooth” on his beak that I worry about, too.

He’s not a very chewy bird though he crunches his beak constantly when he’s out visiting with me.
His got pine and natural wood/sticks in his cage as well as one of those pumice perch.

He also crunches his beak a lot both in his cage and when his out with me.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think I would remove the pumice. That could be how he is getting the damage and scratches on his beak. They have a softer beak

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The tip of the beak is normal wear . The scratches higher up in the middle of the beak are from getting damaged some how. Trying to stick beak through cage bars, or something else. But the beak shouldn't be getting damaged in this area. I'd look fir a reason and correct it.
I'm not saying its super dangerous at thus point.. but its not ideal. Definitely don't want it getting worse.

Ideally on a good diet with appropriate cage set up and chew stuff it shouldn't get this level. I'll look at my articles because it keeps nagging me they need softer wood.
Whenever you want Ideal look to wild parrot photos, how do their beaks look? This has proved valuable to me in checking shape size, length , color , normal flaking and normal wear .

A beak article

Note mentioning soft woods

Just to round out beak info. And tge importance of not allowing beak to be damaged because of risk of infection. Not that our posters beak is there but just to be cautious and preventing more deeper scratches on mid beak . I would investigate and observe how those higher scratches are happening.

Last edited:

Most Reactions