Allergic Reactions

QuakeMeUp

Apr 20, 2022
Parrots
Gogo
I Don't know if anyone has dealt with this, but recently I have developed severe hives all over my body whenever I am near my birds. I am on 3 antihistamines, and have been the the ER and Urgent Care. My doctor told me I should rehome my budgies due to this problem. I am kind of messed up about it because I have just started to make progress with them, so its disheartening that I will have to be rehoming them tomorrow. I guess I am just confused because i have been fine, and have never had an issue with allergies, but for some reason adding another budgie activated somthing dormant I guess? has anyone else had this issue?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm sorry you are going through this. How awful!

I dont have experience with bird allergies
I just know allergies can be weird and develop at any time. I never had any.. recently developed allergy to adhesive like band aids, medical tape , tools artificial sweerners

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I'm so sorry. The reason i have birds is because I am very allergic to cats (especially cats, which I especially love), and dogs, and basically any kind of mammallian pets. I keep air filters running in my house, I vacuum daily, & try to avoid putting my face right against my bird's feathers, because I know that being susceptible to allergies, i am at risk of developing bird-allergies, and I really don't want that.

That said. I think you need to take your doctor's advice. Allergies rarely "just" go away. Allergy management can be possible, and possibly in the future you might get to a point where you might consider getting birds again. This is possible, although unlikely. BUT. Continuing exposure to them now, while your allergies are highly activated, will only make the allergies continue to get worse and more severe.

It is a very sad thing. If I let myself think about cats for more than a short while, I can get really sad, because I would really love to have a cat. IF IF my allergies are really Good, I can spend a little while in a friend's house who has a cat. Even pet & handle the cat, on very rare occasions.

BUT if I even go near a cat, or even go in a room where a dog was & it has already left, when my allergies are already acting up, I will only make things a thousand-times worse.

Likewise, your allergies are currently activated. In the future it might - or might not - be possible for you to make some accomodation, but for right now you need to find another home for them so that you can avoid spending time with the allergens they produce.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have one thought: could your allergies be to some item you use in relation to your birds? Like a food or cleaning product? and not to the birds themselves?

Just a possibility to consider. You could possibly have allergy testing done to see if you react to budgie antigen. ???

Last edited:

Most Reactions