Aloe Vera for Parrots?

rosiepaco

Mar 24, 2022
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks
Hi gang,

I thought my ringneck Rosie had bumblefoot again but now I donā€™t even know what it is. She keeps biting. And shaking and tapping her feet.
Last time she had bumblefoot it was biting the back of her leg, now itā€™s around her toes but we are treating her accordingly. It just seems different.
Went to two different vets, same result. Continue with F10 ointment + anti-inflammatory medication. Iā€™m continuing to use them but I didnā€™t feel confident that even the vets know whatā€™s going on. Not a complaint I know birds are very complicated but I just feel very defeated.

Iā€™ve never tried aloe Vera and Iā€™ve read itā€™s very good for soothing skin and feathers. Iā€™ve seen people giving their birds aloe Vera spray baths and such.
Those who use aloe Vera on your parrots do you have a 100% spray or use it fresh from the plant? I also read that thereā€™s a part of the plant that can cause internal irritation if eaten but that the gel of the plant has really good properties so Iā€™m a little cautious. Iā€™d just appreciate any 100% aloe brands/advice.
I hope this could help my Rosie in anyway. Her feet arenā€™t that bad at all, a small bite mark on one toe that Iā€™m treating, but there is clearly some irritation. Her tapping/shaking is so constant i feel bad she canā€™t even get a good night sleep. I canā€™t afford to go to the vet again in such a Small timeframe :( thank you all

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi, I had a parrot who got foot hotspots/infection due to a bad leg and too much pressure in some spots. I gave my bird perches that she could lay down on her tummy, thus getting the pressure off of her feet.

I gave my bird a ladder put horizontally across her cage to perch and sleep on. I gave her a corner porch to lay on. As you described in your other posts, I put vet wrap around slippery perches so she had a better grip.

You ask about applying Aloe Vera. I am not sure I would use aloe Vera on her feet as birds try to get sticky things off their feet and I worry that your bird would chew her feet to remove the aloe.

My Quaker had very dry feet and I moisturized them with a tiny bit of coconut oil which I have read is antibacterial and antifungal. Maybe you could try this while you continue her other treatments? If you use only a tiny bit it should be absorbed. Could you ask her vet about these things?

I assume you clean her cage and perches after sheā€™s been on antibiotics for a while so she isnā€™t reinfecting her feet.

Maybe you might take the perches out and give her a soft surface to walk on (incontenance pads or towels?) while her feet heal?

Most Reactions