another big breakthrough today!

BriansAWildDowner

Jun 17, 2014
Denton, TX
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure named Raku
So, I live in Houston but my family is doing Xmas in Denton (4.5 hours away). I drove up a few days ago and asked my parents to bring Raku up today. When he got here he immediately came out of his cage and stepped up on to my GF's hand and ran up to her shoulder. For some reason I decided to see if he'd suddenly started liking and trusting me more so I held my hand out to see if he'd step up and he did! He stepped up on to my finger and then let me put him on my shoulder. He stayed there for awhile and occasionally would kiss my cheek. After he was back on top of his cage he'd let me pet him and scritch his head. Up until now I was only allowed to pet him through the bars of his cage.

He hasn't totally been behaving, and hasn't been stepping up whenever I ask, but this is a big step towards getting there. He also still runs away from me a lot. He did step up a few times with me just asking him to, and not being lured with a treat or his touch training straw.

He really dislikes car rides, so I think him seeing me after a long unpleasant experience had something to do with his change in behavior. Also lately i'd been sitting down next to his cage with my computer for practically hours at a time petting him through the bars whenever he'd let me. Just trying to give him as many positive interactions as possible.

I got him in June, so if there's anyone who's worried about their bird not bonding with them, just know that sometimes it can take a while.

The one down side is that when he decided he liked me, he also instantly decided he no longer liked my girlfriend. He now tries to bite her, and not only that but tries to trick her in to getting close enough to bite. He made a kissing sound and leaned forward and when she went in to kiss him he bit her nose. Not very hard fortunately.

OP
BriansAWildDowner

BriansAWildDowner

Jun 17, 2014
Denton, TX
Parrots
Well, perhaps I spoke too soon. Today things seem to be about back to normal. But still it gave me a whole lot of hope.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Keep working on it. I know you will! It just takes time. Sorry things are back to normal for you but glad for your girlfriend.

OP
BriansAWildDowner

BriansAWildDowner

Jun 17, 2014
Denton, TX
Parrots
OK, so my first post was Tuesday night, and my second was Wednesday morning. Well by Wednesday evening Raku was being pretty good again, and then today he's stepped up on my finger twice and gone from there to my shoulder. So things haven't gone completely back to normal.

Most Reactions

Latest posts