Another course of cipro?

SD1030

Feb 2, 2021
Just wanted to give a quick update: I've been monitoring my cockatiel for a week. He seems to sneeze occasionally when he preens, or while asleep. Maybe a couple of times a day. He also does this weird exhale with his mouth for maybe 3-4 times, happened about twice this past week. Vet says this all could be dander and dust, hard to tell.

It's just so hard to tell if he's actually sick or not. I worry I may be imagining and making it into being something serious, when it's actually normal. He's not visibly sick at all, normal behavior and energy, although lately he's been more moody and aggressive. Poop looks normal

I spoke to the vet, and he said to start the Cipro again. This will be the 3rd course of Cipro since February (he originally had a mild upper respiratory infection).

My question is: if he isn't sick, and I'm giving him Cipro unnecessarily- is that dangerous? The vet says it isn't dangerous at all and is very well tolerated.

Just wanted to get your opinions. It's just very hard to gauge what to do because if he was visibly sick, I'd know defintely to give the meds, but if he isn't visibly sick, but shows some signs of it maybe, what am I supposed to do?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'd ask if you can switch to doxycycline. Its a pretty safe antibiotic, and if this is psittacosis its really the only antibiotic that works.

I had a flock with psittacosis, so I " see" it everywhere... but really it is a common infection,

OP
S

SD1030

Feb 2, 2021
Thank you. I appreciate the input. My question is more about the safety of giving an antibiotic when a bird technically doesn't need it. What do you guys think?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Laura just lived this-- so listen to her! :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Doxycyclin way safe i gave for 60 days! Ugh...
Cipro won't clear, and since has worked i would really switch. Cipro I wouldn't give a 3rd time.

What happens with wrong antibiotics is they seem to get better but really don't.

I really recommend trying doxy.

Also get a digital kitchen scale weigh your bird daily until well. Then as best practices weigh weekly and chart to pick up issues early. Most sick birds drop weight.
3% see a vet, 5% get in quickly, 10% you probably need to supplement with baby bird formula.

Take grams list ÷ by normal weight x 100= % lost.

Increase warmth helps bird heal. Radiant heat best, i use sweeter heater. But k and h makes a little cage warmer panel. Do not use heat lamp light bulb, to many birds are burned.

Most Reactions

Latest posts