Another Scarlet......

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Pepper, a Timneh African Grey
Michael, what a beautifully happy ending. Scarlet is breathtaking! That is for sharing the story and pictures!

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
She's so pretty!! I'm glad you two were able to make it work.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
really nice story and congrats on your very beautiful bird. Alison and sweetie pie:D

Adinafloyd

Jul 8, 2012
Slaughter, La
Parrots
Jax (CAG)
Scarlet (Ekkie)
Toot (TAG)
(YNA-Nappy, Gone but never ever far from my heart)
Aww, what a sweet story. It is amazing how fate stepped in and brought you two together. I am so happy for you both.

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
i loved reading your post and looking at scarlet! she is really beautiful! it makes me happy when i hear how a rehome/ rescue bird found a happy, forever home! birds are totally different than any other pet because they just know who they are supposed to be with.

OP
M

michael_cb_125

May 21, 2012
Well, I just wanted to give a little update.

Scarlet has been doing absolutely wonderful. She has become an integral part of our family, and does everything with us. Some of her daily activities include:
Cooking dinner (yes she helps)
Eating Dinner (Yes she has a chair the the dinner table)
Washing Clothes
Watching TV
Playing Fetch with her Older Dog Brother (Armando the super yorkie)
General play time

Things that she loves to do, and generally does several times per week:
Going to work (she is a sale's bird at our Flooring Company)
Riding in the Car
Riding Bikes
Riding Four Wheelers
Grilling Outside (She loves rib bones)
Kayaking
Swimming at the lake (she will actually swim on top of the water)
Walks around the park
Going Shopping (she is a woman!!)
Going to my nephews little league games

It is so funny how quickly she adapts to different situations. We take her on vacations with us and she even gets to spend weekends and (up to one week) with her Grandma and Grandpa (my parents). Wherever she is, she is at home (provided people are around). She loves the beach, and the ocean breezes. She opens her wings and acts like she is soaring.

All of her flight feathers have fully grown back in and she is stunning. I have been working on her flying and she will come to me on certain commands. Not everytime, but she is getting very good. I fortunate enough to have a business showroom with very high ceilings, so she has been getting good at flying. She is very coordinated and knows how to handle herself. She has always been able to fly, but some of her flight feather fell out before I got her and now they are 100% again.

I really want to work on outdoor recall training. I am going to start with a harness and lease, and then move to free flight. I really feel as though she is a bird that I can trust with this.

Here is a short story about Scarlet from when I first got her.
She bonded with me instantly (I know sounds weird, but it happened) after I had her about four days, I took her outside. (I know I know stupid move). Well, a dumptruck came and dumped the shop dumpster, and she took off. I was heart broken. I saw her fly around our five acres about four times circling higher and higher until she was gone. Well after looking for four hours, we had no luck. My brother was working on our barn later that afternoon and everytime he hammered he would hear a loud screech, he got me and we started yelling Scarlet's name. Finally we got near the noise and she said "where are you" "Where are you". She was 75' up in a huge cedar tree. She saw us, but would not come down. So I climbed 75" up this tree to the branch she was on. She was 15 feet out on the branch, but when she saw me she quickly scooted over and climbed onto my shoulder. I climbed down the tree with her on my back and went home.

Needless to say she is always on a leash when outdoors now, but that proved to me that she truly does not want to get away, she just got spooked.

~Michael

Most Reactions