Any Advice for a First Time Cockatiel and Bird Owner?

IrisOwl

May 16, 2019
I bought my first ever bird and they are a baby cockatiel and won't be able to get them home until January. I am looking for any advice or what I should do before bringing it home. :grey::yellow2:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello and welcome. Congratulations on your new baby :)

Most importantly make sure your bird is fully weaned onto solid food before you take it home. Some breeders will suggest that it helps you bond with your bird if you finish hand-rearing yourself but this is not true, and can lead to heartbreak for you. Cockatiels wean between 10 and 12 weeks old, and ideally your bird should have been eating unassisted for at least two weeks before you take him home. If possible try to feed whatever it has been eating at the breeders place, even if it’s not particularly healthy. There will be plenty of time to introduce healthier foods later on.

As soon as is practicable you should have him checked out by a certified avian vet, and DNA sexed. Birds are notorious for hiding illness, sometimes until it’s too late so it’s best to know if you need to deal with anything sooner rather than later.

Other than that, enjoy your new birdie! Cockatiels are hugely popular for good reason, they’re smart, funny, endearing and sociable little characters and no doubt yours will have you wrapped around his little claw in no time flat.

Last edited:

Most Reactions