help! abnormal poop!

zoiem

Oct 5, 2023
Parrots
cockatiel
my cockatiel has laid too eggs in the past few days and this is what one of her poops looks like? this is my first cockatiel and this is the first time she’s laid eggs since we’ve had her (she is four years old but we got her in march). she’s been around no males since/before we got her. i just need to know if i should be concerned/what to do. i’m posting this at almost 11pm, no emergency vets are open near me and i’m panicking a bit. thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0363.jpeg
    IMG_0363.jpeg
    598.6 KB · Views: 21

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
That looks normal to me. My female cockatiel goes through periods when she lays eggs sometimes and she holds onto her poop and then a huge amount will come out at once like this. The colour of it changes depending on what she's been eating as well

OP
Z

zoiem

Oct 5, 2023
Parrots
cockatiel
That looks normal to me. My female cockatiel goes through periods when she lays eggs sometimes and she holds onto her poop and then a huge amount will come out at once like this. The colour of it changes depending on what she's been eating as well
she’s been eating pellets that are bright colored. she’s been acting normal and has been shredding her cuddle bone. i’ve just been getting so much conflicting info from it’s her food to she might have heavy metal poisoning. i have an appointment with her vet on monday. her poop is smaller now but still red.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Cockatiel- Volkan
Blue budgie- Lightning
she’s been eating pellets that are bright colored. she’s been acting normal and has been shredding her cuddle bone. i’ve just been getting so much conflicting info from it’s her food to she might have heavy metal poisoning. i have an appointment with her vet on monday. her poop is smaller now but still red.
Are the pellets red? My birds regularly have bright red poop because they love red peppers and eat so much of them. Why do you think she has heavy metal poisoning? The vet appointment will hopefully help

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
My birds used to eat Zupreem "fruit" blend pellets and would frequently have orange or reddish poops. The consistency of the poop in your pic is pretty normal. If you're worried the vet is always a good idea but I think your fid is ok :)

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Smokey | Athracite parakeet
Sky | cobalt, albino, yellow parakeet
Andy | Green texas clearwater
I've been looking and its just like a birds period

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Cockatiel- Volkan
Blue budgie- Lightning
Laying an egg is a birds period I think
I think there's been a lot of misinformation spread because I keep seeing people say this. Birds do not have periods as they are not mammals and have a completey different reproductive system. They don't menstruate so laying an egg is not the same as having a period.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I think there's been a lot of misinformation spread because I keep seeing people say this. Birds do not have periods as they are not mammals and have a completey different reproductive system. They don't menstruate so laying an egg is not the same as having a period.
Your right off course it's not the same it's just a simplistic way to explain it cos it's the closest thing a bird has to a period

Most Reactions

Latest posts