Apparently albie is fussy....

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
So ,i cant seem to get hold of nutriberries any where unless i wanna be price gouged on amazon (£70 for 1 pack ? No thankyou ,i love him but sheesh )

I figured id try make him some birdie bread with everything i know he loves : apple , parsnip , carrot , pepper ,seed mix pellets mixed with some egg and whole wheat seedy flour to bind it up (it actually tastes pretty good with no added sugar or salt or anything) and he wants nothing to do with it !

How do i know it tastes good ? I tried it to entice him to eat it as that usually triggers his "oh you have snacks? Gimme!" Reaction . Nope. Nada. Nothing . Sigh . I have put 90%of the block in the freezer and i might have to offer it to my neighbour at the back for their birds (they have budgies in a small avery and a little white/pale yellow one that i see flitting in the kitchen) or to my friends who have a hamsters/rats/rabbits

It was a fun experiment at least

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
How many times have you presented the master with your culinary creations? Legitimately, sometimes it takes a while before they recognize something new as food. Aaaaaaaand sometimes they're just plain stubborn. It took over a year of placing some top's pellets in Tucker's dry bowl every day before he finally started to accept them. He still only eats maybe 8-10 of them in a day, but at least it's a little something green added to his diet.

I'd say, keep offering it to him, at least for a little while. Just toss a piece in with whatever else is in the bowl and leave him to it. Might work, and no harm if it doesn't since it's already made. He's so smart, he's probably just trying to win the battle of wills. :)

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
I tried loads of times yesterday with ot and this morning , i ended up just dumping it in his bowl before i left for work hahah the thing is , he knows its food because i was making it with him and he even tried to try the batter (didnt know of they cam have raw egg i didnt risk it !) He then saw me pull it out and tried to get at it while it was still hot

Then all of a sudden hes like nope dont want to even try it

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Little bugger! 🤣❤️

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
My late husband hated onions. So I used to hide them in casseroles etc. He knew they were there but somehow if he couldn't see them it was ok. Syd was being seed fed when I got him and the swap to pellets took all my ingenuity. So I used to hide them amongst the seeds and gradually reduced the seeds.
Put Albie's favourites in his dish but 'hide' the cake by crumbling it up very small and not too much. Also don't let him see you do it. Syd doesn't realise it but his chop contains everything that he has told me categorically that he hates. I tuck it in every day and he now goes for it first but if he recognises it he gives me that look that should see me in a heap on the floor.
I think sometimes we just need to become as wily (or is that stubborn?) as they are! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts