Asking for your thoughts on a specific parrot rescue in PA

shinyuankuo

May 9, 2019
State College, PA
Parrots
Winston 屁撚, the Eclectus. 屁撚 (pi-nian) came from Pinion (Psalms 64, meaning flight feather, typifying God's soaring power.)
Hi guys, the SWOT Analyst girl is back. (Some of you might remember and laugh at this reference.:09:)

I want to ask if you ever heard of Ty’s Parrot Rescue in Steelton, PA? Are they legit? This is the only rescue I found so far who’s willing to work with our adoption package (located remotely/no experience just research). They don’t have any adoptees now, but will take my application request for the future. I am very interested, so I want to do my due diligence and check with the community, too.

This is their Facebook and website:
https://tys-parrot-rescue.business.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Nonprofit-Organization/Tys-Parrot-Rescue-102526051114955/

BTW, I have been observing the forum while not being active. Have contacted a few Craigslist rehome posts, and still have my mind set on an Eclectus.

Just have to be patient for the right bird...thanks for your help in advance!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Contact these folks! I have been there, it is a mission of dedicated love! One of our long time members pours her life into their work! Zaksee in Tampa, Florida
They may be much too far for you to go there, but, I would expect they would have information on your site!
https://zaksee.com/

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If an Eclectus is your Parrot of choice, assure that you fully understand their very specific 'dietary needs.' Visit the Eclectus Forum here on Parrot Forums and read, read, read!!! They are wonderful companion Parrots.

I always believe in checking the basics of a business first i.e. whether they have a State Business ID Number, which confirms they are a register business in your State. Since near all Rescues are "Hand-to-Mouth" operations, i.e. they rarely if ever develop a profit. The vast majority apply for a Federal Not-For-Profit Classification, which come with Federal ID Number. Although, neither of these assure that they are caring facility, only that they are for real. Fly-By-Night operations do not waste the time to follow the rules of properly operating a business.

A caring facility will have a working relationship with a local Avian Professional or at the very least one of the traveling Avian Professional. So, with the knowledge of where they are, determining if their is a near by Avian Professional will be insightful.

Most Rescues have a working relationship with their State or Local Avian (Bird) Clubs as a resource for possible clients and care (fostering) locations for new arrivals.

If I follow your question correctly, you would be remote and have little to not experience with Parrots. If correct, none of the many Rescue in my area of this World would consider you a leading contender for one of their rescues. This based on their want to assure a forever home and that requires you visiting them far more than once and their visiting you several times.

Since I am several States away from PA, I cannot provide details regarding this specific Rescue. But I hope that the above information will help your search.

Last edited:
OP
shinyuankuo

shinyuankuo

May 9, 2019
State College, PA
Parrots
Winston 屁撚, the Eclectus. 屁撚 (pi-nian) came from Pinion (Psalms 64, meaning flight feather, typifying God's soaring power.)
If an Eclectus is your Parrot of choice, assure that you fully understand their very specific 'dietary needs.' Visit the Eclectus Forum here on Parrot Forums and read, read, read!!! They are wonderful companion Parrots.

Yes, I am fully aware. I have been following (stalking...lol) this forum and a few other Eclectus groups for 6 months.

If I follow your question correctly, you would be remote and have little to not experience with Parrots. If correct, none of the many Rescue in my area of this World would consider you a leading contender for one of their rescues. This based on their want to assure a forever home and that requires you visiting them far more than once and their visiting you several times.

Yes, you are correct. I live in a remote college town. It is 2-3 hours drive to everywhere. I am happy to make the drive and cooperate with the rescue, but many just refuse to work with my package. While disappointed, I understand.

Honesly, I previously gave up on rescuing because I just don't qualify. However, I was encourged by the Electus facebook groups to try one more time. Then I found this rescue.

It is probably a small scaled private rescue. I appreciate their openmindness to consider me, but I also want to make sure that it is a responsible rescue. The world is just not as simple as we wish to be sometimes.

Do you have some suggestions on what questions should I ask the resuce? I want to be through but not annoying. I know we have a PA based senior member on the forum, so I am also hoping to hear from her. (finger-crossed).

It would be awesome if this rescue center works out for us. Otherwise, I will have no choice but to go to a breeder, which is discouraged by many.

Thank you for sharing.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
So based on what I’ve googled and seen on social media they look new to the rescue game. That means there will definitely be good and bad involved because they haven’t worked out the kinks yet. I don’t see much in adopter participation for adopted birds. That doesn’t necessarily mean they haven’t done good adoptions though just that they haven’t found anyone that sticks around which isn’t uncommon when it comes to adopters. Based on photos I’ve seen good perches, cages, chop, birds out but I’ve also seen some bird no’s like what looks like aerosol cans in the background. I haven’t seen any information on disease testing but I’ve seen they board. So they probably have birds in and out without any disease testing being done on rescued birds or boarders. Maybe not even their own birds. If you speak to them you need proper documentation of birds being tested. Have them give you access to their vet if they say they are getting testing done or view their account if they are working directly with a lab. The new rescued birds should be getting quarantined & vetted too and I’m not seeing anything about that from the quick looks I’ve done. They also aren’t a registered nonprofit. Maybe mostly because they are new and haven’t taken the step yet or just aren’t interested in the hassle. The oldest posts I can find are August of this year so yeah brand new rescue it seems. I stopped working with rescues in 2017 so I haven’t heard of these guys.

Have you checked out or contacted A Helping Wing in NJ?

Maybe Ellen’s heard of them since I think she’s still in it but I haven’t seen her around in awhile.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Ellen had a serious biking accident and had or is faced with a lengthy recover. Not sure if she is monitoring the Board at this point.

OP
shinyuankuo

shinyuankuo

May 9, 2019
State College, PA
Parrots
So they probably have birds in and out without any disease testing being done on rescued birds or boarders. Maybe not even their own birds. If you speak to them you need proper documentation of birds being tested. Have them give you access to their vet if they say they are getting testing done or view their account if they are working directly with a lab. The new rescued birds should be getting quarantined & vetted too and I’m not seeing anything about that from the quick looks I’ve done.

Yes, this is my biggest worry. I will definitely ask them about quaratine and testing. My family health can't afford a sick baby, unfortunately. :(

OP
shinyuankuo

shinyuankuo

May 9, 2019
State College, PA
Parrots
Ellen had a serious biking accident and had or is faced with a lengthy recover. Not sure if she is monitoring the Board at this point.

Oh no! I wish her a speedy recovery.

OP
shinyuankuo

shinyuankuo

May 9, 2019
State College, PA
Parrots
For the record, my attemp to rescue from the group fell through. Not because of any party’s fault. I however still can’t really evaluate this rescue based on the contacts I had. I think the rescue is legit, but I don’t know how they care for their birds.

I am however contacting a Craigslist rehome the second time. Once I offered to adopt the bird, the person stops replying my email. Ah...anticipations...

Most Reactions

Latest posts