Aviator Harness for My Macaw

SaphireSamantha

Nov 1, 2014
Kentucky USA
Parrots
Samantha - Blue and Gold Macaw
I am going through a debate... To fly or not to fly! I personally feel like flying is a natural and healthy part of a large birds existence, but I want to make sure that my beloved Samantha is safe.

That being said, I have been doing some research on getting an Aviator Harness. Any thoughts, suggestions, or concerns I should consider? :blue1:

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
That's what we have. Zoe flies free in the house but outside we use the aviator harness.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I think aviator harnesses are wonderful for giving your bird the freedom of being outdoors in a safe manner! Shiko, my IRN, is harness trained. I feel that it's helped him a lot with coming out of his little shell that he randomly developed one day. It also makes me happy to run around like a loser with him while I "take my bird for a walkie". Shiko is a super active birdy with a highly active mind, so I always need to physically exhaust him in order to keep him happy.

The only thing I would be wary about is ensuring that the elastic line used for the macaw harness is the newly reinforced one. I believe in the past there was an issue with the older version, and at one point an owner's harness line snapped during flying. From what I understand, they remedied it instantly.

If Samantha isn't fond of the harness, there's also the option of the Pac-o-Bird, which several of our members have. Although the macaw bag is large, it is an excellent alternative to having your bird go outside and go places without worrying about hawks, flying off due to being startled, or overly-eager individuals who think they're the next bird whisperer. :rolleyes:

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
I was the lucky owner who's flight line snapped during a flying session :rolleyes: Apparently the only 1 in over 10 000 haha

The aviator harness company had changed manufacturers just before I purchased mine...

I sent mine back for them to do testing on, and they found the clamp hadn't been closed off properly, and it left a sharp bit on the inside..

So as it was being used, the elastic cord was being teared on the inside, which i couldn't see!

Hence Fargo got stuck up a tree.. :54:

The company was wonderful and gave me a full refund plus a new flight line which they did extensive testing on :09:

A flight line is definitely the way to go, just do some strong tugs on it before you use it each time! :)

OP
S

SaphireSamantha

Nov 1, 2014
Kentucky USA
Parrots
All of this is great to know! In her 9 years she has never been on a harness or leash at all. This will be something of a challenge I think... but I think I must do this for her in the long run. She deserves to fly.

Now the question is, why should we go outside? I imagine there won't be any winter outings what with the Macaw being a tropical bird. Any thoughts on keeping her exercised during the cold months?

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
I use the Aviator harness when I have Hahnna (Hahn's Macaw) out with me, but at home she free flies. This is Hahnna and I at the park. Elaine and Hahnna

Last edited:
OP
S

SaphireSamantha

Nov 1, 2014
Kentucky USA
Parrots
I don't know what the shop keep's issue is, but when I called this morning to place an order for the aviator harness, he gave me a ton of push back. I actually opted not to place the order. He acted like I was crazy! He said that harnesses are not very safe and encourage runaway behavior...

Anyone ever hear anything negative about the aviator harness? All I can think of is how nice it will be on warm days to go to the park so that she can stretch her wings and be a confident flyer with me. Strengthening our body and encouraging a healthy exercise routine... it just sounds fantastic to me and I can't find negative feedback outside of the silly shop keep :p

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Wow I have NEVER heard of someone saying the harness was a negative thing.. Wow..

Yes, there is a danger, but name something that isn't haha...

The aviator harness is incredible safe.. I have had mine for over 2 years and it has never broken.. It was the flight line which was the only issue...

Definitely get a harness.. Fargo loves having time out in the sun.. It makes him incredibly happy.. He gets to release his energy so he doesn't have any behavioral issues!

and we have little picnics hehe

Last edited:
OP
S

SaphireSamantha

Nov 1, 2014
Kentucky USA
Parrots
OMG! Fargo looks so happy! That is the kind of peace and joy that I want to give to Samantha! I just don't know what the shop keep's issue is. Perhaps he just doesn't know or has had a bad experience. Who knows, but I am pretty sold on it... I just think I am going to have to order mine elsewhere. Does anyone have a link to the legit store for aviator harnesses or where would you recommend retrieving one?

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Perhaps the shopkeeper was confused about other harnesses ? There are a few others which aren't as safe as the aviator! Who knows! :p

You can check ebay, they usually sell them (for alot cheaper as well haha)

Or My Safe Bird Store! That seems to be everyone's favourite shop :)
AHL Aviator Harness Large - HARNESSES

Depending on the size of Samantha, either large or extra large!

I did have the large for Fargo, but found it too small, so he now has the extra large which fits much nicer :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts