Baby Conure and baby cockatiel?

Anhdy

Dec 3, 2021
Parrots
Dusky head conure
Just to know more as I‘ve just gotten a 6 wks old dusky Conure(7 wks now)… I’m also thinking to get another baby albino cocktiel(6 wks old)… possible for them to co-habit?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Just to know more as I‘ve just gotten a 6 wks old dusky Conure(7 wks now)… I’m also thinking to get another baby albino cocktiel(6 wks old)… possible for them to co-habit?

If by "co-habit" you mean can they share a cage, I would advise against it. Conures are known to be rather territorial and can become aggressive, particularly as they mature. Two very young babies *may* get on ok in the very short term, but only while you make arrangements for each of them to have their own separate safe living spaces. I had a green cheek conure/cockatiel combo who got on just fine outside their cages in neutral territory, but I would never have caged them together. I think you are best to arrange for each of your birds to have it's own living quarters, for safety's sake :)

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Hello, you are wise to look for information before taking action, indeed. By nature, cockatiels are very gentle birds. So they are known to loose every fight if it comes to it. This could result in injuries at best or crippling at worst. I have seen a bird biting a toe off from another bird. The wound made perching no longer possible. It happened very fast but the trauma took a very long time to settle.

This thread contains relevant information about territorial conur, but territorial fight could happened with any species.

Thread 'Conures Fighting?!' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/conures-fighting.72070/

And how is bonding with your new conure so far? You may like information on this thread.....

Post in thread 'Bonding with a newly adopted Conure' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/bonding-with-a-newly-adopted-conure.90935/post-934892

OP
Anhdy

Anhdy

Dec 3, 2021
Parrots
Dusky head conure
If by "co-habit" you mean can they share a cage, I would advise against it. Conures are known to be rather territorial and can become aggressive, particularly as they mature. Two very young babies *may* get on ok in the very short term, but only while you make arrangements for each of them to have their own separate safe living spaces. I had a green cheek conure/cockatiel combo who got on just fine outside their cages in neutral territory, but I would never have caged them together. I think you are best to arrange for each of your birds to have it's own living quarters, for safety's sake :)
Thank you so much for the kind advice

OP
Anhdy

Anhdy

Dec 3, 2021
Parrots
Dusky head conure
Hello, you are wise to look for information before taking action, indeed. By nature, cockatiels are very gentle birds. So they are known to loose every fight if it comes to it. This could result in injuries at best or crippling at worst. I have seen a bird biting a toe off from another bird. The wound made perching no longer possible. It happened very fast but the trauma took a very long time to settle.

This thread contains relevant information about territorial conur, but territorial fight could happened with any species.

Thread 'Conures Fighting?!' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/conures-fighting.72070/

And how is bonding with your new conure so far? You may like information on this thread.....

Post in thread 'Bonding with a newly adopted Conure' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/bonding-with-a-newly-adopted-conure.90935/post-934892

Thank you so much for the kind advice

Most Reactions

Latest posts