Baby conure spreading Wings out [worried]

Conurepet

Jun 8, 2020
Hello everyone, i have a conure as pet and I'm here to ask for help.

I have my 8 weeks old baby conure for a week now and today I Saw something weird. He' spreading his Wings out while sleeping, I was a bit worried so i took him out of his cage and he was still asleep/fatigue while holding his Wings out. I found on Google that they do this for the sun OR something but i have a sheet on the cage. I wrapped him up in a blanket since i was worried that hé has IT cold and i put him back in his cage. Now im Just waiting for him to wake up, he has been asleep for 10 hours now. Any help?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to you and your young conure Conurepet!

Seven weeks is very young for a baby bird to have been sold to you. I imagine it is not yet fully weaned and that you have been handfeeding? The period where a baby learns to eat solid adult food is a very precarious and potentially dangerous one in a young bird's life so if you are concerned I would urge you to contact either the breeder or a certified avian vet ASAP, the following link may help you find one...

https://www.aav.org/default.aspx

Also I would recommend you read the following link about how to care for unweaned baby birds...

http://www.parrotforums.com/breeding-raising-parrots/74363-so-you-bought-unweaned-baby.html

I hope your conure will be OK and that you can get some professional help for him soon.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hello, and welcome to the Parrot Forums family! Though I wish it could've been under better circumstances.

Given the lethargy you describe, I think the best chance for your baby conure's survival is for you to get him to a vet (certified avian vet if at all possible) as soon as possible. Parrots are prey animals, which means they work hard as they can to hide their illnesses. As such, by the time they start showing that they're sick, they're usually already very ill. A trip to the vet could be the difference between life and death,

As LaManuka mentioned, 7-8 weeks is very young and your conure is likely unweaned. As such, there could be any number of things wrong. I'm hoping the best for your little guy, but I want to convey the likely urgency of his situation.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thank you for joining, sending healing thoughts to your baby conure.

Agree with all of the above, a certified avian vet, if available, is critically needed.

Can you reconstruct the last day or two of your conure's status and eating/sleeping habits? None of us are vets but may be able to offer some advice if you are unable to seek proper care.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Yes- this sounds like an emergency. Please try to call around and see if you can find a vet that sees birds. Ideally, an avian vet, but in a pinch an exotics vet with bird training.
This doesn't sound good...when you speak to them, emphasize the seriousness of the situation and the age of your bird.

I hope you are able to find help!

Most Reactions

Latest posts