Baby Raffi!

chanelle

Jun 23, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hello all!

My name is Chanelle. Me and my boyfriend picked up our 6 week old Green Cheek Conure yesterday, and even though we did research for almost a year beforehand, I'm finding myself asking a lot of questions. Raffi is still being hand fed, although he's not eating the same way that I have seen other baby birds eat in videos. He doesn't seem to want anything to do with the syringe, even though that's how the breeder said to feed him. I warmed up the formula and everything, he just doesn't seem interested and I don't want to force him...

Also, we've set up a cage for him with lots of toys, perches, "caves" made out of towels, mirrors, bells and everything. However, Raffi just sits in the same spot unless I move him around to see things. Is this normal? I know he's still getting used to his surroundings, I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

If anyone has any suggestions for feeding I'd love to hear it! I'm getting worried...

Thanks everyone!
Chanelle

Attachments

• IMG_3018.jpg
    IMG_3018.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3007.jpg
    IMG_3007.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 202

OwnedByGeorge

Jun 7, 2017
Hello,

First off, your breeder is an idiot. You should never sell a bird that isn't fully weaned. Has the bird eaten for you at all? It's possible the food was too hot and you burned the bird's crop (the area of the digestive system before the stomach).

You should use a thermometer to get the temperature of the food around 98-100F (not any hotter and not much cooler) for the bird.

Are you using the exact same brand and type of syringe and formula as the breeder?

It's normal for him to be scared the first few days but it is critical that a bird this age eat a lot of formula, frequently. I would see about returning this guy to the breeder to save yourself and the bird trauma, and get yourself a 4-ish month old fully weaned bird from a responsible breeder, which this breeder is not.

Sorry I don't have good news for you. welcome to the forum.

OP
C

chanelle

Jun 23, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
He ate about 10-12ml last night, but could only get him to eat 6ml this morning. I have been making sure it was the correct temp. The breeder gave us a bag of powdered formula and a syringe to use. Is there a trick to it that I haven't found?

We did our research on breeders and people seemed to be very happy with him and his birds are all very healthy. If bringing him back for the next couple weeks is the best thing to do then I will do that, but I'm not getting a different bird, he's started to bond to me already...

OP
C

chanelle

Jun 23, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Thank you so much, that article was very useful! I will try in smaller amounts until he gets used to it. Thanks again :)

T

takito

I have had few un-weened, very young conrues, and it is pretty normal the first couple of days for them to be like that, it takes them a little while to get over the sudden change.
The link posted in the previous response is very good, read and follow it carefully,
You mention Rafi is 6 weeks old, ? and he does look like he is pretty mature, feathers, etc,...
I noticed in the feeding tutorial it says
5 Week Old Babies Start Eating Adult Food

By about five weeks old most babies will begin to explore eating adult food. Some adventurous babies may be able to eat most of their food on their own, even before they can fly. Others may not have any interest in adult food until they are just about to wean. This is why we recommend that Poopology be used as the most important gauge of how much to feed.
My baby conrues started not wanting anything from a dropper, and were more eager to try eating "thicker" types of food, instead,...still not solid, like seeds, but not liquid either, but they
do start taking interest in seeds, and other solid foods as well.
Your parrot may be ready to start trying other foods besides just formula,...
I do agree, that is kind of cruel on the breeders part to not keep feeding them until they really are weened, and used to eating on there own,... Your parrot "Raffi", looks like he will be able to figure things out pretty well, let us know how it goes.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, Chanelle and Raffi!!

Raffi is a beauty and you will certainly want to keep him. While most of us prefer to see weaning complete before acceptance, you will have to make the best possible decision. Since he is in the transition to eating adult food, careful monitoring of his feeding will be necessary. A small weighing scale calibrated in grams is an important tool throughout a parrot's life. If you find his weight deteriorating*, a temporary return to the breeder for consistent feeding may be necessary.

*During this phase, his weight should be increasing at a steady rate.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi so sorry for forgetting my manners yesterday, replied late just before going to bed in fact. So welcome Chanelle and hope your little Raffi is doing better today and has eaten a little more?

OP
C

chanelle

Jun 23, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Thank you everyone! Raffi is doing a lot better now, I think he was just nervous and getting used to his new surroundings. By the end of the day yesterday we both got the hang of it. He only has the patience for short feedings right now so we're just doing it more often with smaller amounts to make sure he gets enough throughout the day.

He is also a lot more playful today, climbing around his cage like a little acrobat! I've read that at around 6-7 weeks we can start introducing some soft fruits like banana and mango, so we might try that in the next few days.

Thank you all again, you have been so helpful!

T

takito

That is good to hear, my conrues do not seem to like either one, bananas or mangos, they love apples though, but yours might like banana and mangos, individuals have different preferences.
In any event "soft foods is the right idea, I smash up the apple , or cut it into small pieces.
If there are good pet stores in your area , they should have some kinds of "baby foods", for parrots,
Here where I am, we do not have any kind of pet supply stores, even in the city 2 hours away, there is not much available,.. so it is kind of a "make your own situation", cooked broccoli, also rice is soft, mine love that, anyway, glad to hear Raffi is getting more at home, in his new home.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Bending the edges of an old small spoon. Yeah it's more like a shovel and you get a lot more food down their throats using that method

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Chanelle, and other new folks...
I'm glad you found us.
Stick with us!

Most Reactions

Latest posts