so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
So I have had this hanging over my head since the end of last year but only got to a point where I know where I stand.

Was diagnosed with aortic stenosis. This is a condition that the aorta valve is becoming stiff and no longer opening and closing properly.
I have had a heart mummer since I was a child and that can make the condition go critical sooner than in someone without a mummer.
Don't really have any symptoms so it's hard to get my head around the fact that there is anything wrong.
I just had a CT scan to find out the best method to replace the valve.
I am lucky (if you can call needing a new heart valve lucky) and I wont need open heart surgery..
You see if my aorta vein/artery was enlarged (common with people that have heart mummers and a bi-cuspid valve) open heart was the only way to repair it.
Because my aorta is not enlarged the valve can be installed the same way a stint is installed, through the artery in the leg near the groin.

The artificial valve is only good for 10/12 years and then a new one needs to be installed.
So it's best to wait as long as is safe to do so as to put off having to do the whole thing all over again.
My cardiologist will monitor the valve every 6 months with echocardiogram's and watch it's progress.
Right now I think I will plan on having it done the first part of next year.
but will play it by ear and at the first sigh of real symptoms set things up.
Can't say any of this is thrilling news.

But Jims passing makes me realize that I have important responsibilities to my fids.
I know my family would do the best they could but for some things (Bingo)
there would be no way to replace me.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Omg... I really hope you do end up feeling better at the end of it all, praying for your recovery. Genuinely am sympathizing for you and wishing you well!
You are an important part of the community and nothing can change that.
Hopefully things will fall into place and we are always here to support you as your ride or die team. I know it's hard times right now, but we got you! Your fids are very lucky to have someone who thinks about their needs before his own! Sending love and prayers. 🥰😊🥺

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Omg... I really hope you do end up feeling better at the end of it all, praying for your recovery. Genuinely am sympathizing for you and wishing you well!
You are an important part of the community and nothing can change that.
Hopefully things will fall into place and we are always here to support you as your ride or die team. I know it's hard times right now, but we got you! Your fids are very lucky to have someone who thinks about their needs before his own! Sending love and prayers. 🥰😊
And at least it's good that you do have a solution to your issue right now. So that's always good to hear!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Dearest Wes, I'm so sorry to hear this news but very glad that you have a treatment plan in place, and I hope everything goes well. My most heartfelt prayers go out to you and yours - my hubby had a triple bypass way back in 2005 so I well understand the anxieties involved for you and your family. Sending love and every good hope and wish for the best possible outcome for you! ❤️🙏

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very glad that you are choosing to proceed as such things are only becoming ever more common surgeries. And commonly with Heart based surgeries, I have been told that recovery for non-open Heart is fairy quick.

Huge Amazon Feather Hugs and prayers your way, Good Friend!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am sorry to hear this. I have medical stuff pending as well…I am putting some of it off because I am just not ready for dealing with it. I could say I am getting in better condition for a knee replacement, but I’m just avoidant right now.

I worry about my birds as my family does not have a good history of taking care of fragile little creatures. I must figure this out…wish I knew what to do.

Anyhow I wish you the best of luck.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
So glad you're not having significant symptoms and have plans to monitor and correct as needed, Wes. Early detection so fortunate!! Cardiac care and technology amazing with normal life expectancy therapies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts