LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh he's beautiful:love: And he's picked up on that bark very well - maybe just a little too well, even!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Ohhhhh I just love his little squeaks and chirps! My bird makes squeaks and little monkey sounds but doesn't have the sing song whistles that Hoppy does - this is so cool! He's wonderful!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
His noises are just too precious!!

My ringneck is VERY curious at these cute sounds coming from my phone 😁

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
It's the first time when I see any grass parrot mimicking sounds! (I know, they don't belong to the same genus as the real grass parrots, but some people keep calling them so)

I wanted to hear a red rumped parrot singing irl but I always fail.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
That is a beautiful bird! Wow! And he seems to be pretty friendly, too. And sings nicely. Is he pettable?

I love me some Quaker parakeet but they don’t sing like budgies do. My Lucy could not carry a tune in a bucket although she tried. And Willow doesn’t seem to know what ‘pitch’ is. I wonder if they could learn to imitate recorded red-rumped parakeet?

Last edited:
OP
HERME

HERME

Feb 26, 2016
That is a beautiful bird! Wow! And he seems to be pretty friendly, too. And sings nicely. Is he pettable?

I love me some Quaker parakeet but they don’t sing like budgies do. My Lucy could not carry a tune in a bucket although she tried. And Willow doesn’t seem to know what ‘pitch’ is. I wonder if they could learn to imitate recorded red-rumors parakeet?
Yes he is pet able.
Check this out.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Somewhere on another forum I saw how somebody wrote that red rumped parrots don't like touching and they don't preen each others... but I think this person was wrong because I've seen them preening (irl) and now this video...

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am pretty sure ALL birds preen each other. It’s how they create and maintain pair and flock bonds.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
I am pretty sure ALL birds preen each other. It’s how they create and maintain pair and flock bonds.
You're wrong. Bourkes are an exception. They hate touching, so it's limited to the minimum (breeding stuff)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Well, in that case, it’s limited to reinforcing pair bonds during breeding season. And?

Do Bourkes keep the same mates from season to season or form a pair with a different mate?

IRNs aren’t very touchy-feely either and I don’t think they keep the same mate from season to season. I am guessing that’s partly why people have trouble bonding with an IRN. That’s the only bird I EVER had as an adult that didn’t like me.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Well, in that case, it’s limited to reinforcing pair bonds during breeding season. And?

Do Bourkes keep the same mates from season to season or form a pair with a different mate?

IRNs aren’t very touchy-feely either and I don’t think they keep the same mate from season to season. I am guessing that’s partly why people have trouble bonding with an IRN. That’s the only bird I EVER had as an adult that didn’t like me.
you misunderstood me. I meant you were wrong about the first sentence:
I am pretty sure ALL birds preen each other

not about both sentences from your post.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
so, are you saying they (Bourke’s) never allopreen at all? I thought you were saying they only allopreen in breeding season.

Besides that, allopreening IS in general one of the major ways birds maintain pair and flock bonds. An exception doesn’t make a statement completely wrong. And it’s good to learn stuff you didn’t know before on these forums.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts