Bathing question

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Hey everyone!

I have a question. Is there any possible way to encourage a bird to bathe on his own? I started putting a plastic plate of water at the bottom of their cage, with minimal progress. Is there anything else I can do?

DustyDusky

Jan 7, 2010
Media
New York
Parrots
Dusty: Dusky Conure
I dont know of any way...sorry

Dusty is finicky about his baths...I give him his in the sink using a pie pan...he likes it when the water is running... Or he bathes when i put fresh water in his cage so that i have to refill his water dish a few minutes earlier.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I have heard that if you sit in the tub and bird watches you have fun the bird will want to join you. Rosie is so funny about bathing. I will sometimes spritz her and put her back in the cage after that and she heads right for the drinking water dish to finish the job as if to say "If you going to get me wet do it right". So I tried taking her to a bowl of water after spritz and she wanted nothing to do with it. The birds most likely will learn to bathe watching another bird bathe. It does seem to be instinctual though.

Revill

Sep 15, 2009
Ariel, my cockatiel just loves to shower with me. He sits on the soap dish and squeeks and gurgles until I splash him, then he turns upside down with his wings open to let the water run inside the feathers. With his head cocked up to look at me the whole time. They're so flexible!

He HATES being in the direct spray. But loves it when it splashes off me. He loves rain too. Have you ever taken your bird outside in the rain?

Revill

cindyluhoo

May 7, 2010
In the U.P
Parrots
Timneh African Grey Rocco
I fill up the kitchen sink with warm water to just fill the bottom. I put Rocco in and use the sink sprayer on and get him wet. He either just sits there while I shower him or he will spread his wings, splash around and really enjoys his baths. When I am done, I will put him back on his cage and if his water bowel is on top of his cage, he will get up there and continue to bath himself and splash water every where.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Jade likes just a little water in the bottom of the sink then a weak stream from the faucet. She likes my husband's vanity sink best, which is odd because it's almost too small for her. She was very hesitant about it at first, but we sprinkled water on her from time to time until she got up the "nerve" to jump in.

Max loves to get in the shower - just on the edge of the spray. He gets a shower all to himself on Saturday or Sunday, after we shower. He spreads his wings and tail feathers and lets the water rain down. The puts his head back and closes his eyes. He moves around on his perch until all of his feathers are wet hen preens a bit.

Most Reactions

Latest posts