Beak overgrowth?!?

Leligrimes

Mar 30, 2022
Parrots
Conure
Budgies
Hello! I’m new here and wanting some help with maybe an overgrowth of my conures bottom beak. We’ve always noticed how his beak doesn’t close all the way like our other conure and now it look as if it’s grown. He is on a very good diet, loves toys, eats drinks regularly, and shows no signs of being sick. I provided a picture on what his beak looks like right now. Could anyone give me advice if this looks okay or if I need to see his vet for a beak trim?

Attachments

• ACE3D07D-AA0A-46E0-BE25-94504F09CFCD.jpeg
    ACE3D07D-AA0A-46E0-BE25-94504F09CFCD.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 96

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
That doesn’t look right. If it gets much longer, how will he eat? And what is causing this? I would bring him in to be checked out and likely trimmed.

I hope your baby will be better soon.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yes it is overgrowth, looks like part got broken then end over grew.

So the way they keep the bottom beak in shape is to grind it against the top beak. You can often hear them do this at night.

But because of the way this is now, there is no way, and no chew stuff thst will help. So yes she will need it professionally shaped up by an avian vet. Might be they have to do this over a few visits. But then she should be able to maintain going forward.

Glad you joined! Stick around and join the fun

OP
L

Leligrimes

Mar 30, 2022
Parrots
Conure
Budgies
Yes it is overgrowth, looks like part got broken then end over grew.

So the way they keep the bottom beak in shape is to grind it against the top beak. You can often hear them do this at night.

But because of the way this is now, there is no way, and no chew stuff thst will help. So yes she will need it professionally shaped up by an avian vet. Might be they have to do this over a few visits. But then she should be able to maintain going forward.

Glad you joined! Stick around and join the fun
I appreciate it! I hear him all the time grinding his beak at night especially when he cuddles with us lol! We are trying to get an appointment as so as we can get in. Thank you for your help and advice :)

Most Reactions