Louie
Ronaldo
Griffin
JJ
McPhee
Jordy
Pepa
Robbie
Hi there! I really dont know where to post this but I'm wondering what parrot species have the largest feathers. Any types of feathers - primary, secondary, breast, etc. - just not underflooflies haha. Just a curious thought. I'm assuming it'd probably be some sort of macaw or cockatoo, but honestly I just want some more thoughts. Thank you!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Maybe someone who has owned multiple birds will be able to help. I'm thinking maybe a macaw, but I'm not sure.

Maybe @Terry57 knows? She has owned a variety of bird species.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
My money would be on Hyanciths - they are already a massive bird, but their tail is ridiculous. There’s one at our local parrot store.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
What a great question!
My bet would also be the Hy, I'm going to see if I can find it on Google.

The first thing that pops up is this (non-parrot) but holy feathers!

The longest feathers grown by any bird were recorded in 1972 on a phoenix fowl or Yokohama chicken (a domestic strain of red jungle fowl Gallus gallus), whose tail covert measured 10.6 m (34 ft 9.5 in). It was owned by Masasha Kubota of Kochi, Shikoku, Japan. -Guinness World Records

I hope someone is better at Googling than I am, I can't find anything about parrots with the longest feathers.

I did find this page of non-parrots who have some fantastic tails!

Top 10 Birds with Longest Feathers

This is a cool rabbit hole, thank you @BellaLikesBirds for asking the question:)

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I've met her and I agree, her tail puts Cotton's to shame! :)
Oh did you?! Isn’t she sweet? She’s a big baby for all the employees. Her sister Tara is owned by a local guy who takes her to the beach on nice days!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well, since you limited it to Parrots, its fairly easy. The Mac family wins this contest. Within that family, the Big Blues (Hyacinths) win with ease. Great question!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts