Bird food

Bastin

Oct 3, 2023
Uk
Parrots
11 budgies in aviary
Hi I am new to this platform and would like advice on best budgie food. I have 11 outdoor budgies newly bought they have a diet of budgie seed,I am trying to change them over to pellets without much luck. Any advice greatly appreciated. Vicky

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Frist, assure that they are only eating a High Quality Seed Diet that is mixed in a Human Grade facility using seeds from farms that only produce product for Human grade mixing facilities. Common cheap assures none of that!

Second, Add Veggies (Chop) to their diet!

OP
Bastin

Bastin

Oct 3, 2023
Uk
Parrots
11 budgies in aviary
Do you have any brands that are best I have gone for organic brand as well as sprouting organic seeds as well ,still trying to mix pellets in with the food.

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
2 year old green parakeet named Byrdie.
Hi I am new to this platform and would like advice on best budgie food. I have 11 outdoor budgies newly bought they have a diet of budgie seed,I am trying to change them over to pellets without much luck. Any advice greatly appreciated. Vicky
I used to have a pair, but they were raised on seed and I could not get them to try anything but boiled egg.

I also had a semi tame 2 year old male at the same time. After I rehomed the pair, the single male, who was also raised on seed, began to respond to my attempts to 'bond' with him.

Once the others were gone, he began to allow me to do more with him and I finally got him to eat other foods like veggies and fruits. My 'trick' was to eat a bite myself, toss some to my dog, then and only then, Byrdie would taste.

I said all that to say: if you can tame a baby and get it to eat healthy, then take the tame one outside so the others can SEE it eating, that might be how to get the others to switch.

Good luck...you are going to need it. I think budgies are called budgies because once they make their mind up, it takes an act of congress to get them to 'budge'. 😂

OP
Bastin

Bastin

Oct 3, 2023
Uk
Parrots
11 budgies in aviary
I used to have a pair, but they were raised on seed and I could not get them to try anything but boiled egg.

I also had a semi tame 2 year old male at the same time. After I rehomed the pair, the single male, who was also raised on seed, began to respond to my attempts to 'bond' with him.

Once the others were gone, he began to allow me to do more with him and I finally got him to eat other foods like veggies and fruits. My 'trick' was to eat a bite myself, toss some to my dog, then and only then, Byrdie would taste.

I said all that to say: if you can tame a baby and get it to eat healthy, then take the tame one outside so the others can SEE it eating, that might be how to get the others to switch.

Good luck...you are going to need it. I think budgies are called budgies because once they make their mind up, it takes an act of congress to get them to 'budge'. 😂
Thank you for your advice

Most Reactions