bird keeps crashing on my window

AVM

Oct 11, 2011
CA
Parrots
Female sun conure-Phoenix
I thought someone was throwing things at my window yesterday and when I checked, it was a bird that was crashing itself against my window on purpose. he was perched on a tree than would fly towards the window crash and go back to the tree. It kept doing this for like 10 minutes. Then this morning I heard the same thud coming from the window and when i checked it was the same bird doing the same thing, except today he did that on all my windows! weird.. :eek:

OP
AVM

AVM

Oct 11, 2011
CA
Parrots
could it be that he's someone's pet??

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
What type of bird is it? If you can I'd get it inside and check if it's been microchipped at the vets and maybe return the poor baby home!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I had that on a daily basis for more than 4 years with a female cardinal. She was especially fond of my bow window in the living room, but she did it with other windows as well. I thought it was her reflection she was interested in, and no male cardinal ever convinced her to become his mate. I thought only I knew about it, but I learned later that some of my neighbors knew about her doing it as well, lol! She did it from sunup to sundown every day for all that time.

Then last spring it started again and this time it was a male Baltimore Oriole. He stopped after a week though.

OP
AVM

AVM

Oct 11, 2011
CA
Parrots
it wasn't a parrot, it was a regular outside bird..
That's what i was thinking too that it was attracted to its reflection..

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Can you hang some scary looking things in your windows so he does not hurt himself. Never heard of a suicidal bird.

OP
AVM

AVM

Oct 11, 2011
CA
Parrots
yea I think I'll have to do that spirtbird.
It just started doing that again and when I tried to open the window it flew away so I don't think its tame.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Mine weren't actually flying into the windows, but rather sitting there and pecking loudly on them all day. It was loud enough for some of my neighbors to notice and I don't have close neighbors. The cardinal would sometimes sit outside the window where my Blue Crown was and Bri would talk to her when she did.

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Gizmo:Male RS Eclectus
R.I.P Merv Hughes: Cockateil
Booger: Alexandrine
ive had that!!!! And once one got in down my chimney.............when i was away for 5days at xmas......got home from holidayto find house broken into!!! on closer inspection,a myna bird had flown down the chimney and then panicked trying to get out of the house, for the next for the next 5 days, bird poo EVERYWHERE, walked through the poo and traipsed it all over everything including my bed, knocked over pot plants, smashed bottles, pood all over massive pile of clean washing, knocked over pot of deep fryer fat, all the while pooping vile purple poop EVERYWHERE! house REEKED arghhhhhhhhhh carnage yuk yuk yuk lol. Had to spend 3 hours cleaning it with my poor pet birds stuck in their travel cage as i disinfected EVERYTHING - and the hiouse still ended up with the lingering stink so i ended up moving...
LOL. Hope you dont have a chimney!!!

p.s. Myna bird was fine although i regretted releasing it so quickly after i realised the extent of the damage :) :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I had a Starling come down the chimney, but it was stuck inside the wood burning stove. There was still hot ash in it, too, from the night before so it's lucky it didn't get hurt or die. I came home from work and heard something in there. I was afraid to open the door thinking it must be a squirrel, lol! Well, I finally opened it and out flew the bird. I opened the door, chased it over there, and it would land on top, but not fly back outside. I'd go closer trying to shoo it out the door and instead it would fly all the way across the house and into the kitchen. We probably went back and forth between the door and kitchen 6 or 7 times before it finally flew out the door.

My parents once had an owl come down their chimney. The screen in front of the fireplace kept it in, but they had to get a blanket around it to catch it and release it outside.

5 days of a frightened Myna bird was probably a horrible mess. It just figures it happened while you were away.

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
You can get bird silhouette stickers to put on the window, that should discourage this behavior. We had one on a kitchen window at my parent's house, we put it there after a pheasant flew straight into the window and sadly snapped its neck doing so.

OP
AVM

AVM

Oct 11, 2011
CA
Parrots
Wow I had no idea birds wanted to get inside houses! hehehe
I'm glad I don't have a chimney !! I cannot imagine having to deal with an owl or a strange bird! :eek:
It took me like a week to get comfortable handling Phoenix! hahaha

Most Reactions

Latest posts