OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Salty is taking one for the team here, and is sampling this blend. I am curious if he likes it better then the fresh food, or frozen. My birds are picky, and 90% of the time give me the stink eye for what I present to them.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I need to make sure all of you understand: Did you note that their instructions indicate to rehydrate before feeding? given that Ekkies (and indeed most larger parrots) are evolved to get most of their moisture from food, Itā€™s not in your birds interest to feed as the main diet a dehydrated mix depleted of moisture. Absent rehydration, itā€™s value at best is as a topping to your usual meal.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I need to make sure all of you understand: Did you note that their instructions indicate to rehydrate before feeding? given that Ekkies (and indeed most larger parrots) are evolved to get most of their moisture from food, Itā€™s not in your birds interest to feed as the main diet a dehydrated mix depleted of moisture. Absent rehydration, itā€™s value at best is as a topping to your usual meal.
From what Iā€™ve gathered with the seasonal feeding system you put it in water over night to rehydrate it

Squeeing_Onion

Oct 10, 2018
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
"Bongo" - Green Cheek Conure
ā€œEchoā€ - Indian Ringneck
"Chicken" - Sun Conure, rest in peace, my precious friend.
Yep, I did catch that! Basically dried chop you make wet again.

I am curious if theyā€™d also like them dried for small training treats, any thoughts on using them in such a way?

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Does anyone know if, or to what extent nutrition would be depleted if rehydrated?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Does anyone know if, or to what extent nutrition would be depleted if rehydrated?
The nutrients in the food will remain in it; the big difference is that the dry food is shelf-stable. You donā€™t have to keep it in fridge or freezer until after you add water.

To clarify, once youā€™ve soaked it overnight in water (preferably in the fridge) you need to keep the reconstituted food in fridge or freezer.

Last edited:

Squeeing_Onion

Oct 10, 2018
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
"Bongo" - Green Cheek Conure
ā€œEchoā€ - Indian Ringneck
"Chicken" - Sun Conure, rest in peace, my precious friend.
The nutrients in the food will remain in it; the big difference is that the dry food is shelf-stable. You donā€™t have to keep it in fridge or freezer until after you add water.
I'm figuring it'd be best to soak if overnight in the fridge, versus on the countertop?

I feel like that'd be best for preventing bacteria growth and preserving that much tinier bit more of nutrition, but I've never actually used freeze dried preserves before so I'm clueless šŸ˜… all I know is they're shelf-stable for an insanely long period of time.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Still no delivery of the product, not holding our collective breaths for it.

FWIW, order placed on July 6, now July 30, total of 24 days!

Rattlerjake

Oct 24, 2020
It's FREEZE DRIED! All moisture is removed.

IT'S FREEZE DRIED, the others are dehydrated. Freeze drying removes all moisture and allows the food to be stored for decades vs a few months or a few years without loss of edibility or nutrition.
I should also mention, it is not good to give your birds freeze dried foods until they are rehydrated. Dehydrated foods are okay because they still have some moisture content.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Arrived 2 days ago. And the prognosis is,,,,,,, meh. Mixed it with Salty's regular chop and it was eaten a bit. Have to do more experiments. Its very RED for sure.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I made their fresh summer feeding system. It is very red, and I canā€™t get my flock to eat it. I may have made it wrong or something? Maybe something spoiled. I canā€™t get any of my flock into chop. I was hoping the dried stuff would have good results.

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
Arrived 2 days ago. And the prognosis is,,,,,,, meh. Mixed it with Salty's regular chop and it was eaten a bit. Have to do more experiments. Its very RED for sure.
red?

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I made their fresh summer feeding system. It is very red, and I canā€™t get my flock to eat it. I may have made it wrong or something? Maybe something spoiled. I canā€™t get any of my flock into chop. I was hoping the dried stuff would have good results.
I made the summer chop too, but I mix it with freshly cooked and mashed sweet potato then my eclectus will eat it. My new foster fail amazon isn't interested in it, but so far she won't eat anything other than pretty bird which makes me sad

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
Must have beets in it. After you soak it for 24hrs its red!
Strange, I soak'd my TOP's pellets for extended period, it didn't turn red at all. Is BirdTrick's pellets actually different from TOP's?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
This is about a freeze dried product, not pellets. My experience with soaking a pellet is that it creates a mush, not very appealing.

Most Reactions

Latest posts