May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Okay people. I got a green cheek conure as my super 18th birthday party gift and it wont tame enough quickly. It avoids being touched and petted and I AM VERY UPSET!!!

And where can I get a scarlet macaw a.s.a.p?
Woah, hold on... you mean to say you GAVE UP your conure because it wasn't tame (under the parrot part of your porfile, it says "no parrots yet")!? You are no where NEAR ready for a macaw, or ANY type of bird for that matter. A macaw isn't going to be any more tame than a conure, and they're much more of a commitment. Will you be able to care for this bird until the day you die? Let me rephrase it: Are you physically, financially, mentally, and socially prepared to care for what is basically a 5 year old with a chainsaw for a beak, extremely loud screams, etc. for your entire life? You'll end up spending 100,000, if not a million dollars on this bird. It will take up your tie, destroy your home, make it so you can't go on normal social outings with your friends whenever you want, etc. Not to mention $10,000+ for the initial costs of the bird, cage, toys, etc.

I suggest you get a dog, if you're responsible enough, but I'm begging you, PLEASE DO NOT get another bird. Not with that attitude.

You're 18. This is a commitment you will be making for the rest of your life, and you see mentally unable to care for a parrot right now, especially a large, sensitive one.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
First of all Petsmart has a 14 day guarantee and I can return the bird as it is in their CUSTOMER POLICY.

Second, a larger bird is going to be easier to tame. Small and tiny birds like parakeets are skittish because wind can easily blow them away.
You should NOT be free flight training birds without a professional. Too many get lost that way. If you are even THINKING of returning the bird, you should give getting an even bigger one a second thought. I'm sorry if I was overly harsh, but you don't seem ready for a large parrot of any sort. I suggest you volunteer at a parrot rescue for a minimum of 25 hours, to understand just what you are getting yourself into.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Second, a larger bird is going to be easier to tame. Small and tiny birds like parakeets are skittish because wind can easily blow them away.
Incorrect. A larger bird is in no way "easier to tame." It will, in fact, cause tremendously more damage and pain with their large powerful beak. In the hands of someone without knowledge or experience, it will likely lead to yet another innocent bird winding up being rehomed again and again. Rescues everywhere are full of birds that couldn't live up to the unrealistic expectations of humans that don't fully understand the level of responsibility and commitment required for these magnificent animals.

OP
S

swong66666

May 25, 2022
Parrots
None yet.
Incorrect. A larger bird is in no way "easier to tame." It will, in fact, cause tremendously more damage and pain with their large powerful beak. In the hands of someone without knowledge or experience, it will likely lead to yet another innocent bird winding up being rehomed again and again. Rescues everywhere are full of birds that couldn't live up to the unrealistic expectations of humans that don't fully understand the level of responsibility and commitment required for these magnificent animals.
I am looking for a handfed and tame scarlet macaw. I do not support extracting animals from the wild and forcing them into cages. That is cruelty. A domesticated parrot is what I am seeking.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I am looking for a handfed and tame scarlet macaw. I do not support extracting animals from the wild and forcing them into cages. That is cruelty. A domesticated parrot is what I am seeking.
Handfeeding comes with it's own set of issues, and does not make a bird tame. Handfeeding just makes it think it's a human, sexually, and once it goes through puberty, it may very well start acting wild. It will also be hormonal at least once a year, and will most likely act like a literal wild caught bird during that time, if not more bitey and reactive. Are you prepared for those scenarios?

PS: Parrots aren't domesticated, they're wild animals.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Taming a bird takes time and patience.
sit next to the bird and talk or read to him/her.
I understand green cheeks can be very friendly.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Nobody suggested anything about wild caught. Hand fed and tame for one person doesn't mean that they will be "tame" for someone else. My YNA is exceptional with me because she chose me as her person, period. If you, or anyone else, including my family members who are around her every day, expected her to be the same way with them, blood would be spilled. It's not reasonable to expect a bird, large or small, to like you or behave the way you want them to, just because you want them to. They don't work that way. Trust is earned. It can't be forced upon them.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Okay people. I got a green cheek conure as my super 18th birthday party gift and it wont tame enough quickly. It avoids being touched and petted and I AM VERY UPSET!!!

Swong66666, please understand that the responses you are getting here reflect the way our membership feels about parrots, those we own ourselves and each others' as well. All parrots, regardless of size are much like toddlers - they require lots of time, work, money and attention, not just a few days as you have mentioned. Any parrot is a huge emotional investment and only you can know whether you are truly ready for that in your life. Please bear in mind how intelligent and emotional your conure is when you make your decision about his future, and please don't rush into yet another decision that you may end up regretting as well.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I've had a variety of different animals as pets and have worked with even more in the veterinary field.

It sounds to me like you know the green cheek being fearful of you is a deal breaker. Is that right?

Maybe it would help you to figure out what you DO want from an animal companion. My hunch is that what you do want (based only on what you've posted here so maybe I'm wrong) is not going to be compatible with any parrot species. Out of ALL the animals I've worked with, parrots are less likely to work as "pets" - even though they're sold in places like PetSmart, they have complex emotions and social structures and I suspect you don't really want the relationship with a parrot they *need* to do well and become a true companion.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I've had a variety of different animals as pets and have worked with even more in the veterinary field.

It sounds to me like you know the green cheek being fearful of you is a deal breaker. Is that right?

Maybe it would help you to figure out what you DO want from an animal companion. My hunch is that what you do want (based only on what you've posted here so maybe I'm wrong) is not going to be compatible with any parrot species. Out of ALL the animals I've worked with, parrots are less likely to work as "pets" - even though they're sold in places like PetSmart, they have complex emotions and social structures and I suspect you don't really want the relationship with a parrot they *need* to do well and become a true companion.
Seconding this. Parrots aren't really pets, they're wild animals that you bring into your home and expect to adapt the best they can.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
PAITENCE. Is the key.
My birds don't care about me, I guess I should give them away...

NO. They are living animals. I will not give them away unless I really have to.
You think a GCC is hard to take care of? A macaw is even harder!
First of all Petsmart has a 14 day guarantee and I can return the bird as it is in their CUSTOMER POLICY.
That makes a bird look like an item. PetSmart take terrible care of their animals. Period. Your bird is better off living at a rescue or a responsible person.
No. Big birds can be just as hard.

Also, your sarcasm isn't welcome here(I really hope that reaction was a mistake):
Screenshot_20220606-151234_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220606-151241_Chrome.jpg

You should realize that hand-fed birds can(and likely will) bite too. All birds will bite you at some point.

Mods/members, I suggest reading an older thread by the OP:
It seems like OP want a cuddly bird...

This is going to be my first and last reply. I do not wish to turn this into a fight.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Also, your sarcasm isn't welcome here(I really hope that reaction was a mistake):
View attachment 40709
View attachment 40710
Highly doubt it. This person will probably get a macaw, regardless of what we say, then in a week, they'll post "Help my Scarlet Macaw isn't tame, I want a Hyacinth Macaw, where can I get one?".

This person's attitude towards living beings is crazy.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Yeah, kind of a sad thread. But there are people who collect pretty things, like jewelry or lovers or birds, and it’s not about love for the thing being collected. It’s about surrounding oneself with ornaments.

Itβ€˜s possible the OP will throw enough emotional tantrums to get some one to buy them a bird, one that will look ornamental and get lots of followers on TikTok. It’s possible that the OP will get tired of the demands of this bird, or punish it for not being cuddly enough on Insta, and the bird will wind up as a tormented, angry, abandoned soul. Or, maybe the OP will discover how miraculous the bird is, and change the trajectory of their life to one of championing and caring for the myriad suffering and neglected and hunted-to-extinction parrots of the world. Who can say? Both kinds of people exist: ones who cause unthinking damage to captive birds, and ones who defend them valiant.

So I will just add: parrots are NOT DOMESTICATED. They are merely, in the best cases, tamed. Domestication is a long period of time, maybe thousands or tens of thousands of years, where a species spends enough time on the edges of human society to begin to genetic adapt. Dogs are very closely related to wolves, but dogs have been selectively bred by humans to bond to us, obey our commands, and serve our needs. We have bred out many of their objectionable behaviors, so they can live in our homes. same with chickens, cows, sheep…there are many species which humans have caused to be modified over the millennia. Parrots are not one of them.

A parrot is just a few generations, if that, from the wild. All their natural instincts are intact. They will chew up the furniture, electrical cords, and your shirt. They will bite if they want to get away from you and can’t, or for some other perfectly good parrot reason. They will scream, especially at dawn and dusk. Or if the phone rings. Or if you change your nail polish. They will usually bind to one person, which may not be you, and forsake all others, which may include you. By β€œforsake” I mean bite. For every cute cuddly parrot in YouTube, there are a hundred locked in cages, in back bedrooms and basements, in dark rooms, neglected and lonely and rotting in their cages. This is a terribly fate for an intelligent, emotional creature.

So you will get push back for any comments that seem to indicate a possible future for a parrot that includes any such things. Because this is ParrotForums, not BreederForums, not PetStoreForums, not ParrotOwnerForums. We are kind of on the side of the birds, and want to help educate Parronts on the best way to give their feathered friends good lives, healthy lives, fulfilled parrot lives. It’s a great place to learn about birds, be prepared to care for them in sickness and health, and to get help when things go sideways. Keep on hanging around, read some of the stickies at the top of the species specific forums, read some of the health/diet/first aid stuff. The more you know, the better!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Seconding this. Parrots aren't really pets, they're wild animals that you bring into your home and expect to adapt the best they can.
Handfeeding comes with it's own set of issues, and does not make a bird tame. Handfeeding just makes it think it's a human, sexually, and once it goes through puberty, it may very well start acting wild. It will also be hormonal at least once a year, and will most likely act like a literal wild caught bird during that time, if not more bitey and reactive. Are you prepared for those scenarios?

PS: Parrots aren't domesticated, they're wild animals.
I agree OP should not adopt a bird, but I've heard this before and I don't agree with "this" particular statement(s). Lets just say I think there is a spectrum. My birds have become basically family, if not MORE loyal. Unless you're saying a dog isn't domesticated. Or even "more so" a cat. Or even "more so" a human 2yo or human teenager. Just IMO.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I agree OP should not adopt a bird, but I've heard this before and I don't agree with "this" particular statement(s). Lets just say I think there is a spectrum. My birds have become basically family, if not MORE loyal. Unless you're saying a dog isn't domesticated. Or even "more so" a cat. Or even "more so" a human 2yo or human teenager. Just IMO.
Definition of domestication:

"Domesticated animals are animals that have been selectively bred and genetically adapted over generations to live alongside humans. They are genetically distinct from their wild ancestors or cousins."
Source: National Geographic

Pet parrots haven't been selectively bred and genetically adapted to live with humans, nor are they genetically distinct from their wild ancestors.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Definition of domestication:

"Domesticated animals are animals that have been selectively bred and genetically adapted over generations to live alongside humans. They are genetically distinct from their wild ancestors or cousins."
Source: National Geographic

Pet parrots haven't been selectively bred and genetically adapted to live with humans, nor are they genetically distinct from their wild ancestors.

More than one definition:​

Definition of domesticated--Merriam webster

1: adapted over time (as by selective breeding) *which we have done. that's why we have so many color variants* from a wild or natural state to life in close association with and to the benefit of humans The Incas used one of the first domesticated animals, the llama, to carry goods.β€” Carolyn GardBecause both wildlife and domesticated pets can be unpredictable, instruct your child to first inform you or another adult if she finds a sick or injured animal.β€” Arliss RyanScientists expressed concern that the foreign genes could act to reduce genetic diversity in the country's native corn varieties and in the wild progenitor of domesticated corn, known as teosinte.β€” Carol Kaesuk YoonWhile the seeds of wild wheat readily fall off the plant and scatter, a change in two genes meant that in domesticated wheat, the seeds remained attached to the stalk; it is this trait that enabled humans to harvest wheat.β€” Assaf Distelfeld
2: made fit for domestic life : adapted to life in a household After 30 years of marriage, I have documented here many times that I am a thoroughly domesticated creature.β€” Dave Simpson
3: brought to the level of ordinary people (as by being expressed in understandable terms)Darwin wrote like a Victorian, a rich, romantic, yet domesticated prose, refusing technical obscurity for directness, clarity and precision in his representation of the natural world.β€” George Levine

Cambridge dictionary:

domesticated
adjective

US

/dΙ™Λˆmes.tΙͺ.keΙͺ.tΜ¬Ιͺd/ UK

/dΙ™Λˆmes.tΙͺ.keΙͺ.tΙͺd/

(of animals or plants) brought under human control in order to provide food, power, or company:
domesticated animals
able or willing to do cleaning, cooking, and other jobs in the home, and to take care of children:
Since they had their baby they've both become quite domesticated.

domesticate Dictionary.com​

[ duh-mes-ti-keyt ]SHOW IPA

See synonyms for: domesticate / domesticated / domestication on Thesaurus.com

Definition of domesticate​

verb (used with object), doΒ·mesΒ·tiΒ·catΒ·ed, doΒ·mesΒ·tiΒ·catΒ·ing.
to convert (animals, plants, etc.) to domestic uses; tame.
to tame (an animal), especially by generations of breeding, to live in close association with human beings as a pet or work animal and usually creating a dependency so that the animal loses its ability to live in the wild.

to adapt (a plant) so as to be cultivated by and beneficial to human beings.
to accustom to household life or affairs.
to take (something foreign, unfamiliar, etc.) for one's own use or purposes; adopt.

Anyways....

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots

More than one definition:​

Definition of domesticated--Merriam webster

1: adapted over time (as by selective breeding) *which we have done. that's why we have so many color variants* from a wild or natural state to life in close association with and to the benefit of humans The Incas used one of the first domesticated animals, the llama, to carry goods.β€” Carolyn GardBecause both wildlife and domesticated pets can be unpredictable, instruct your child to first inform you or another adult if she finds a sick or injured animal.β€” Arliss RyanScientists expressed concern that the foreign genes could act to reduce genetic diversity in the country's native corn varieties and in the wild progenitor of domesticated corn, known as teosinte.β€” Carol Kaesuk YoonWhile the seeds of wild wheat readily fall off the plant and scatter, a change in two genes meant that in domesticated wheat, the seeds remained attached to the stalk; it is this trait that enabled humans to harvest wheat.β€” Assaf Distelfeld
2: made fit for domestic life : adapted to life in a household After 30 years of marriage, I have documented here many times that I am a thoroughly domesticated creature.β€” Dave Simpson
3: brought to the level of ordinary people (as by being expressed in understandable terms)Darwin wrote like a Victorian, a rich, romantic, yet domesticated prose, refusing technical obscurity for directness, clarity and precision in his representation of the natural world.β€” George Levine

Cambridge dictionary:
domesticated
adjective

US

/dΙ™Λˆmes.tΙͺ.keΙͺ.tΜ¬Ιͺd/ UK

/dΙ™Λˆmes.tΙͺ.keΙͺ.tΙͺd/

(of animals or plants) brought under human control in order to provide food, power, or company:
domesticated animals
able or willing to do cleaning, cooking, and other jobs in the home, and to take care of children:
Since they had their baby they've both become quite domesticated.

domesticate Dictionary.com​

[ duh-mes-ti-keyt ]SHOW IPA

See synonyms for: domesticate / domesticated / domestication on Thesaurus.com

Definition of domesticate​

verb (used with object), doΒ·mesΒ·tiΒ·catΒ·ed, doΒ·mesΒ·tiΒ·catΒ·ing.
to convert (animals, plants, etc.) to domestic uses; tame.
to tame (an animal), especially by generations of breeding, to live in close association with human beings as a pet or work animal and usually creating a dependency so that the animal loses its ability to live in the wild.

to adapt (a plant) so as to be cultivated by and beneficial to human beings.
to accustom to household life or affairs.
to take (something foreign, unfamiliar, etc.) for one's own use or purposes; adopt.

Anyways....
True. So we're both right. I don't want this to turn into an argument.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots

Most Reactions