Black iron pipe safety?

All the supplies for making the paper roll stand should fit fine:) It's those large linoleum covered floor protectors under the cage I was asking about (figured I didn't need to start a new thread). My car is a coupe with a small trunk opening, so even though the back seats do fold down and the inside is roomy enough to fit a piece of lumber that size, I can't even get big stuff through the doors or trunk:( My car is horrible for transporting anything big. I am thinking I need to eliminate the small square floor protector under the tree and add about 13" to the big one to fit the length of the wall. I can't fit a single piece large enough to fit the length of the wall in my car, so I will have to piece the large piece I have with a smaller piece to make it fit.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, commonly those linoleum covered floor protectors will roll-up into a roll. Clearly that depends on how thick they are. Am I thinking of the same stuff? What is the overall size you are looking at and where are you buying this from?

That does look like it would be a pain lugging that big roll around.

I go to U- Haul and buy boxes of their packing paper it is about $10 it lasts a long time and is already cut in nice squares.

It's not so much the weight (though it is heavy) as it is the shape and size. I debated getting those pre-cut sheets, but don't have the room to store them where they wouldn't get all crumpled or otherwise ruined. I can't wait until we move again and I can go back to the cloth cage liners! I liked those a whole lot better than this paper.

I actually just leave it in the box and pull out however many sheets I need each time closing the box up afterwards. So it stays very neat and compact. Long ago I bought the rolls like you are doing but frankly I hated having to cut it each day.:)

All the supplies for making the paper roll stand should fit fine:) It's those large linoleum covered floor protectors under the cage I was asking about (figured I didn't need to start a new thread). My car is a coupe with a small trunk opening, so even though the back seats do fold down and the inside is roomy enough to fit a piece of lumber that size, I can't even get big stuff through the doors or trunk:( My car is horrible for transporting anything big. I am thinking I need to eliminate the small square floor protector under the tree and add about 13" to the big one to fit the length of the wall. I can't fit a single piece large enough to fit the length of the wall in my car, so I will have to piece the large piece I have with a smaller piece to make it fit.

Hmmm, commonly those linoleum covered floor protectors will roll-up into a roll. Clearly that depends on how thick they are. Am I thinking of the same stuff? What is the overall size you are looking at and where are you buying this from?[/QUOTE]

The linoleum isn't the issue, it's the 1/2" thick plywood sheets I put the linoleum on top of that won't fit;) If I don't have a hard surface under the linoleum, the weight of the cage would punch holes in the linoleum since it's on soft carpet. I need a 50X36" piece of plywood to fit the current setup and cannot fit a single piece that big in my car, so I need to piece together the plywood sheet I have with another piece to fit, then I can put the linoleum on top, if that makes sense. Since it would be pieced, I'd need to use some kind of brace.

Last edited:
All the supplies for making the paper roll stand should fit fine:) It's those large linoleum covered floor protectors under the cage I was asking about (figured I didn't need to start a new thread). My car is a coupe with a small trunk opening, so even though the back seats do fold down and the inside is roomy enough to fit a piece of lumber that size, I can't even get big stuff through the doors or trunk:( My car is horrible for transporting anything big. I am thinking I need to eliminate the small square floor protector under the tree and add about 13" to the big one to fit the length of the wall. I can't fit a single piece large enough to fit the length of the wall in my car, so I will have to piece the large piece I have with a smaller piece to make it fit.

Hmmm, commonly those linoleum covered floor protectors will roll-up into a roll. Clearly that depends on how thick they are. Am I thinking of the same stuff? What is the overall size you are looking at and where are you buying this from?

The linoleum isn't the issue, it's the 1/2" thick plywood sheets I put the linoleum on top of that won't fit;) If I don't have a hard surface under the linoleum, the weight of the cage would punch holes in the linoleum since it's on soft carpet. I need a 50X36" piece of plywood to fit the current setup and cannot fit a single piece that big in my car, so I need to piece together the plywood sheet I have with another piece to fit, then I can put the linoleum on top, if that makes sense. Since it would be pieced, I'd need to use some kind of brace.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying for me!

In looking at the pictures, it appears that you will be setting this over carpeting.

Whether at a Big Box Store or a Lumber Yard, ask them if they carry the bracket that are commonly used to hold 1/2" roof covering plywood together between the 4' x 8' sheets. These are used to keep two sheets that are butted together to move and hold as a single piece. There will be a gap, but in your application by removing a little plywood material you should be able to get them to butt-up solid. When looking at this bracket from the side it looks something like an 'H' but off-set.

Will keep thinking and if something else pops, I will post it.

NOTE: The 'H' bracket will work as long as there is very limited foot traffic on it. If you are in fact on carpet, each time you walk of this surface it will flex as the carpet below it naturally crushes.

If there is any problem with the bumps and flex, you will really need to target a single piece of plywood. Sorry!

Last edited:
I plan to put the small piece in the corner, so foot traffic over there would be extremely limited. I have had the 2 mismatched sizes I currently have taped together as a temporary measure and haven't had any issues, so I'm assuming with a metal brace I should be ok (fingers crossed).

My big question though is that since this brace will be under a piece of plywood completely inaccessible to him, it would be ok to use regular hardware instead of stainless correct?

I plan to put the small piece in the corner, so foot traffic over there would be extremely limited. I have had the 2 mismatched sizes I currently have taped together as a temporary measure and haven't had any issues, so I'm assuming with a metal brace I should be ok (fingers crossed).

My big question though is that since this brace will be under a piece of plywood completely inaccessible to him, it would be ok to use regular hardware instead of stainless correct?

Yup! No access, no problem. FYI: It may be worth placing a piece of Duct Tape (or like product) to cover the bracket. This will assure that any moisture in the carpet does not result in rust stain on the carpet. Really is a long shot that this would happen, but it is so simple and easy to do, its worth the extra couple of minutes.

Hey, you know those heavy furniture movers? They commonly sell them near everywhere now, but very common at the Big Box Stores. Anyway, they are sold in several sizes from 5" diameter down to like 2" diameter. They are made of plastic and have a foam rubber insert in which the leg of the furniture sits on. Point being, eliminate the piece of wood and use a set of those 'pads' to set the legs of the cage on. They will distribute the weight of the cage and not allow the leg to cut a hole in the linoleum covered floor protectors. No need for the plywood or the brackets!

FYI: Commonly made of White Plastic with a Black foam rubber insert. Like six 5" diameter pads for under 8 US Dollars. Primary use is to slide furniture on carpet or wood floors. They really save the carpet and the Wood floors, so we set them in place and leave them in place.

Last edited:
Yup! No access, no problem. FYI: It may be worth placing a piece of Duct Tape (or like product) to cover the bracket. This will assure that any moisture in the carpet does not result in rust stain on the carpet. Really is a long shot that this would happen, but it is so simple and easy to do, its worth the extra couple of minutes.

Hey, you know those heavy furniture movers? They commonly sell them near everywhere now, but very common at the Big Box Stores. Anyway, they are sold in several sizes from 5" diameter down to like 2" diameter. They are made of plastic and have a foam rubber insert in which the leg of the furniture sits on. Point being, eliminate the piece of wood and use a set of those 'pads' to set the legs of the cage on. They will distribute the weight of the cage and not allow the leg to cut a hole in the linoleum covered floor protectors. No need for the plywood or the brackets!

FYI: Commonly made of White Plastic with a Black foam rubber insert. Like six 5" diameter pads for under 8 US Dollars. Primary use is to slide furniture on carpet or wood floors. They really save the carpet and the Wood floors, so we set them in place and leave them in place.

Excellent idea taping to prevent rust!

I do know what you're talking about with the pads, I even have some I tried in the past but they have never worked for me. Pretty certain a little piece on the end of my big piece will do the trick and give Kiwi a nice surface to dirty up for me every day:D

I went to Lowes today. Apparently sheet vinyl has dropped in popularity significantly and they now only sell a few yucky dated styles (not even the nice looking ones they have online) in 12 FOOT wide sections:eek:. I would have to pay for 45 sq ft of material (ugly material) when I only need 16.25 square feet. I called all the local flooring stores around too and no one sells vinyl remnants anymore. I asked the guy at Lowes about peel and stick tiles (which, due to being able to buy only the amount I need) would cost half of what the sheet vinyl does but he insisted they won't work. I am not so sure I believe him.

Anyone know what alternative might work to sheet vinyl that would not require me to pay for way more than I need just for him to crap and fling food on?

Yes, vinyl squares! About the same size as ceramic tile! Or possibly, very heavy vinyl wall paper?

Those are the ones I was looking at! Have you used them under your birds? The stick on kind or the floating "click" together kind?

I just checked, and I could buy real bamboo flooring for less than that sheet vinyl and for only a little more than the stick on tiles. Any idea how that might work? I have some bamboo items around the house and they seem pretty indestructible.... I bet if I used that, I would never have to replace it. Plus, I like what I see with the "tested for 10,000 VOC's".

Home Legend Horizontal Toast 5/8 in. Thick x 3-3/4 in. Wide x 37-3/4 in. Length Solid Bamboo Flooring (23.59 sq. ft. / case)-BAFL24TO - The Home Depot

I just checked, and I could buy real bamboo flooring for less than that sheet vinyl and for only a little more than the stick on tiles. Any idea how that might work? I have some bamboo items around the house and they seem pretty indestructible.... I bet if I used that, I would never have to replace it. Plus, I like what I see with the "tested for 10,000 VOC's".

Home Legend Horizontal Toast 5/8 in. Thick x 3-3/4 in. Wide x 37-3/4 in. Length Solid Bamboo Flooring (23.59 sq. ft. / case)-BAFL24TO - The Home Depot

Neat stuff. Much like traditional wood flooring and install kind of the same way. Seen both the snap together and the traditional nailed versions. Wears like white oak!

Have you looked at Linoleum?

Neat stuff. Much like traditional wood flooring and install kind of the same way. Seen both the snap together and the traditional nailed versions. Wears like white oak!

Have you looked at Linoleum?

They now call what I always knew as linoleum (big plastic-y stuff that comes in a roll) "sheet vinyl", apparently. Probably trying to make it sound "fancy":rolleyes: And Lowes and Home depot both only sell it now in 12' wide and the darker colors that will hide stains better are all over $1.50/sq ft. Local flooring companies I called don't even stock it, they only special order it.

The stick on vinyl tiles cost around the same per square foot, but can be bought individually so I would spend around $25 to get the amount I need to cover the platform. To be able to get a 3' cut of the 'sheet vinyl' would be over $45! I guess being 12' wide, I could try to piece it, but that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a solid sheet of the stuff. Not to mention it really isn't very attractive, which would be ok if it was still the cheapest flooring option like it used to be, but it's not cheap at all. That bamboo flooring looks kinda neat and only costs a little more than the stick on kind. We have a bamboo tray that has taken years of abuse, drinks spilled on it, pen marks etc... and it has no stains, no discoloration, only needs a little of that butcher block oil every once in while. I wonder if putting bamboo under Kiwi's cage would resist poop and food stains? Also wonder if I could use some aquarium silicone I have to secure it down so I wouldn't need any caustic smelling glues? Hmmm...

Home Legend Horizontal Toast 5/8 in. Thick x 3-3/4 in. Wide x 37-3/4 in. Length Solid Bamboo Flooring (23.59 sq. ft. / case)-BAFL24TO - The Home Depot[/quote]

Have you looked at Linoleum?[/quote]

They now call what I always knew as linoleum (big plastic-y stuff that comes in a roll) "sheet vinyl", apparently. Probably trying to make it sound "fancy":rolleyes: And Lowes and Home depot both only sell it now in 12' wide and the darker colors that will hide stains better are all over $1.50/sq ft. Local flooring companies I called don't even stock it, they only special order it.

The stick on vinyl tiles cost around the same per square foot, but can be bought individually so I would spend around $25 to get the amount I need to cover the platform. To be able to get a 3' cut of the 'sheet vinyl' would be over $45! I guess being 12' wide, I could try to piece it, but that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a solid sheet of the stuff. Not to mention it really isn't very attractive, which would be ok if it was still the cheapest flooring option like it used to be, but it's not cheap at all. That bamboo flooring looks kinda neat and only costs a little more than the stick on kind. We have a bamboo tray that has taken years of abuse, drinks spilled on it, pen marks etc... and it has no stains, no discoloration, only needs a little of that butcher block oil every once in while. I wonder if putting bamboo under Kiwi's cage would resist poop and food stains? Also wonder if I could use some aquarium silicone I have to secure it down so I wouldn't need any caustic smelling glues? Hmmm...[/QUOTE]

I would think that you could use the aquarium silicone! Check its directions for use with 'wood' products.

Surface sealing on the bamboo is likely water based clear and it has a great resistance to water. It is a very common clear coat on today's 'wood' flooring products. We have a new wood floor in our kitchen and looks as good as day one. As with all wood products, scraping with metal (knife or like) will damage the surface coat and will need to be repaired. Your butcher block oil will work wonders.

Something to think about: At 5/8" thick and a sub floor (single piece of plywood) you can get heavy fairly quickly. 5/8 bamboo + 1/4 plywood sub floor is 7/8 thick. If you use 1/2 plywood sub floor + 5/8 bamboo your 1 1/8" thick.

Neat part is, no brackets would be required as the silicone will make the individual pieces 'One'.

Last edited:

Have you looked at Linoleum?[/quote]

The stick on vinyl tiles cost around the same per square foot, but can be bought individually so I would spend around $25 to get the amount I need to cover the platform. To be able to get a 3' cut of the 'sheet vinyl' would be over $45! I guess being 12' wide, I could try to piece it, but that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a solid sheet of the stuff. Not to mention it really isn't very attractive, which would be ok if it was still the cheapest flooring option like it used to be, but it's not cheap at all. That bamboo flooring looks kinda neat and only costs a little more than the stick on kind. We have a bamboo tray that has taken years of abuse, drinks spilled on it, pen marks etc... and it has no stains, no discoloration, only needs a little of that butcher block oil every once in while. I wonder if putting bamboo under Kiwi's cage would resist poop and food stains? Also wonder if I could use some aquarium silicone I have to secure it down so I wouldn't need any caustic smelling glues? Hmmm...[/QUOTE]

I would think that you could use the aquarium silicone! Check its directions for use with 'wood' products.

Surface sealing on the bamboo is likely water based clear and it has a great resistance to water. It is a very common clear coat on today's 'wood' flooring products. We have a new wood floor in our kitchen and looks as good as day one. As with all wood products, scraping with metal (knife or like) will damage the surface coat and will need to be repaired. Your butcher block oil will work wonders.

Something to think about: At 5/8" thick and a sub floor (single piece of plywood) you can get heavy fairly quickly. 5/8 bamboo + 1/4 plywood sub floor is 7/8 thick. If you use 1/2 plywood sub floor + 5/8 bamboo your 1 1/8" thick.

Neat part is, no brackets would be required as the silicone will make the individual pieces 'One'.[/QUOTE]

Did not consider weight. I checked and there is a 3/8" thick option available too, but with a 1/2" thick based that would still be heavy (plus the cage on top). Actually, I would wonder if that might not be too much weight for upper story apartment (?) Perhaps I should stick with those vinyl ones. Could probably still use a little silicone to be sure everything was firmly attached and water tight.

OR maybe I should feed the parrot in the tub and make him wear a diaper from now on:18:

Did not consider weight. I checked and there is a 3/8" thick option available too, but with a 1/2" thick based that would still be heavy (plus the cage on top). Actually, I would wonder if that might not be too much weight for upper story apartment (?) Perhaps I should stick with those vinyl ones. Could probably still use a little silicone to be sure everything was firmly attached and water tight.

OR maybe I should feed the parrot in the tub and make him wear a diaper from now on:18:

OK, that's just too funny - LMAO!!!! :04: Yaaa, like either of our Amazons would let that happen! NOT!

As far as weight goes, you're safe! Consider that the average apartment kitchen is on the heavy side of 3000 lbs. not including people.

What about those carpet /floor protectors that are sold in the office supply stores. They're somewhere around 4 x 4 with a tab-off one end. Cut the tab off and you got the area under the cage covered, well on the light side.

Just noticed that my dear wife has thick clear vinyl table covers under the table cloths.

It may be worth it to start over fresh, and look at it from a clean slate. No confines.

I'm guessing that you do not have rollers at the base of the cage leg's and that is what is cutting into any pads you set under the cage. Those leg rollers are fairly common in size and replacements maybe available from an online cage supplier.

Yes, vinyl squares! About the same size as ceramic tile! Or possibly, very heavy vinyl wall paper?

Those are the ones I was looking at! Have you used them under your birds? The stick on kind or the floating "click" together kind?

I haven't, but that is what Birdman666 uses! The stick down kind.
http://www.parrotforums.com/do-yourself/51513-birdie-coffee-table.html

I did a whole house project using the click together tile, that stuff is quite nice also!

Last edited:
OK, that's just too funny - LMAO!!!! :04: Yaaa, like either of our Amazons would let that happen! NOT!

As far as weight goes, you're safe! Consider that the average apartment kitchen is on the heavy side of 3000 lbs. not including people.

What about those carpet /floor protectors that are sold in the office supply stores. They're somewhere around 4 x 4 with a tab-off one end. Cut the tab off and you got the area under the cage covered, well on the light side.

Just noticed that my dear wife has thick clear vinyl table covers under the table cloths.

It may be worth it to start over fresh, and look at it from a clean slate. No confines.

I'm guessing that you do not have rollers at the base of the cage leg's and that is what is cutting into any pads you set under the cage. Those leg rollers are fairly common in size and replacements maybe available from an online cage supplier.

I think Kiwi may curl up in a corner and die of shame if I diapered him, but he may actually like eating in the tub, if the shower was on too:D

I have wheels on his cage, it's just heavy and sitting on plush residential type carpet. Anything that is any kind of flexible (like linoleum or sheets of plastic, or rugs) puckers under the wheels. Makes a major PITA to clean and the linoleum stuff has punctured, probably due to being cheap. Only thing I've found that resists the weight of the cage on carpet is a thick solid surface, like the MDF (or I suppose some kind of wood would too, I got MDF because it was cheap).

I do really like the look of the bamboo, but I don't know that the bird needs nicer flooring than we have:rolleyes: I think it probably makes more practical sense to use the vinyl tiles at this point. Once I get this built (and the paper holder), I will definitely post pics!

I like the bamboo idea! If you are a member, Sams and Costo carries this!

I like it too. Possibly enough to consider in the future replacing the carpeting with it (I hate carpet). Just seems like even though it is less expensive than the sheet vinyl, it is still more expensive than the vinyl tiles and this particular project is basically for a bird to poop on. Vinyl tiles can be had for 69 cents a square foot, the bamboo flooring is over a dollar...

Does the :green: really need a 'premium' flooring to poop on lol (lets not ask him, he probably feels entitles to 24K gold floors for his 'precious' amazon bombs:p). We'll see what I actually come home with though. This time hubby will come with me to the hardware store to see what options are available.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back