Blue and gold fussy eater

Mitchkay

Sep 25, 2021
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
Hi everyone recently I re homed a 18yr old blue and gold macaw. When I first had her she would only eat seed, I’ve managed to now get her eating Kaytee pellets. I’ve been trying to train her to step up and come when called. I’ve been trying lots of fruit and veg but she’s just not interested in any new food or toys at all. Any recommendations would be appreciated

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Hi everyone recently I re homed a 18yr old blue and gold macaw. When I first had her she would only eat seed, I’ve managed to now get her eating Kaytee pellets. I’ve been trying to train her to step up and come when called. I’ve been trying lots of fruit and veg but she’s just not interested in any new food or toys at all. Any recommendation
Congratulations! ...she is one lucky girl.
A journey of a thousand miles of tasty food begins with a single step.....let's start with

1) eating near her, make a yummy sound to show that it is edible and delicious.

2) it's also very effective if she can see other birds eating.

3) teach her basic commands, every one in our family use....

yummy= for edible food.
no,hot=for hot food
Give me that=for non food item

3) Break down to small bite size to give to her beak while saying yummy yummy....

4) cooked seeds such as brown rice, red kidney beans, boiled jobs's tears or Chinese pearl barley, freeze well, and the latter is Emerald' favorite.

5) use the same plate every time you eat near her, she will try everything in it once she figured that food grow out of this color plate. Once, I cut a pumpkin, fresh pumpkin seed on the cutting board didn't get any attention. So I put some of that fresh seed on my plate. ..and suddenly, Emerald's eye widen.

My family likes steamed corn on cob.
And we always give some boiled corn seed to Emerald. Untill one day, she saw another bird eat fresh corn on a cob. Since then, I can just put fresh corn on a cob in her cage. It last longer than boiled one too, so convenient.

Hope this help
Good luck

OP
M

Mitchkay

Sep 25, 2021
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
Thank you for your advice I’ll give them a go and see what she likes, she’s very fussy and hates toys but hopefully over time she will get better

Most Reactions