bonded pair of greenwing macaws rescued

Tanya920

Apr 11, 2013
ok, on Friday we adopted a bonded pair of greenwing macaws that were rescued by the SPCA from a bad home along with 28 other parrots and exotic birds. we have them in a 4x8 walkin cage and they will let us hand feed them and rarely we can stroke their beaks, but thats as far as touching goes..the SPCA said the girl was in heat and she is indeed very cranky and moody. she will bite at us though not actually grab us, just threaten us, we show no reaction as not to reinforce it. they are slowly gaining trust in us and I have I real worries in that area, we knew what we were getting from the history they had so we weren't expecting shoulder birds, just wanted to give them a home and some tlc. my concern is they just crawl around on walls and top of cage and won't sit on any of the perches, how can we get the, on perches so they are more comfy?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You just have to let them do their own thing, it takes time for them to get used to the new place and time to get adjusted to the new cage setting. You can however try hanging some nuts on the perches to try to get them on it.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Mikey & I had the same idea, at the same time! Tie nuts &/or fruits to the perches. Brilliant minds think alike.LOL

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
along with the foraging and hanging nuts make sure to place perches high and low, they may like to move around and want different perches at different heights. The place they were taken from didnt supply anything it was a horrible case of neglect and hoarding, thank you for taking in the two of them.

OP
T

Tanya920

Apr 11, 2013
thank you for the tips. surprisingly I woke this morning to find one perched and the other sitting on food dish! I'm so happy they look so much more comfy:rainbow1:

Most Reactions

Latest posts