Booking albie in for his first vet trip

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
And I'm feeling nervous! Which is silly cuz it was never a problem with Oliver. How ever Oliver was very well mannered during his visits and I'm not sure how albie is gonna be.

Is it just routine stuff like with a dog? Talking about diet, and general how he's doing?

What should I ask the vet?

How can I make his trip a positive one?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If this is Albie's very first vet visit, you will want as many tests and examinations as possible, because this will be a base line data collection when he is doing great. That way if anything develops in the future, the vet will know what the readings and observations were when he was feeling fine. Its a very important visit for that reason. Don't settle for a "Yeah he looks like he is OK" visit. Full spectrum tests and examinations will become crucial in the years to come, if something develops in the future. It's so nice the read that Albie is in the pink of health and only keep flourishing in your care.

Last edited:
OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Thank you for this, I will update you once we've been

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
What Al (wrench13) said!

If you have questions, write them down on a piece of paper, much as you might do with personal visit to doctor. Easy to forget once in the fray. Preparation helps make the event go smoothly!

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Well this is frustrating, I received a call today from my vets saying their avian vet has left. And not coming back so Albie's appointment is cancelled and now I gotta find a new avian vet. Eurgh... Why didn't they tell me yesterday?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Mighty inconvenient! :( Any idea why vet left or retired? Perhaps you can Google the name and follow to other nearby practice?

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
No idea, however I do know from nurse friends that this practice was having lots of staff issues due to practice take over or something.

On a plus note I have found an avian only practice just 45 minutes drive away and it's also a bird out of hours hospital too! Apparently it's the referral center for birds in the North West of the UK.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

We see a lot of independent vet practices taken over by large corporations this side of the pond. Thankfully my CAV has his own practice, as does the other well known CAV in my area.

Hope the one you found turns out well!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Can you find out where he went? I doubt he just stopped working.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Wow. The vets I wanted to register albie with has told me I can't register as I'm too far! I'm 45 minutes away! They've sent me a list of other avian vets 3 of which are further! I'm shocked.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Wow. The vets I wanted to register albie with has told me I can't register as I'm too far! I'm 45 minutes away! They've sent me a list of other avian vets 3 of which are further! I'm shocked.

What????? Never heard of such bizarre brush off! Can you speak with an actual human being to explain the inexplicable?? :eek:

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
I did ring them. They don't accept any one whose over an hour away so I rang to explain that I'm 45 mins away and. They a said to look at the list they sent and if I can't get In with them to call them back

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Perhaps this weird (really weird!) distance-restriction is their way of dealing with a sudden influx of potential new clients after your first-choice vet having left practice?

(Kinda like the way some doctors with too many patients will only take new ones "with Referral"?, again as a way to be fair while limiting numbers?)

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
No idea, but they only see birds. I've never had an issue with seeing a vet due to distance. I didn't even think it was a thing. But even so, their restriction is 1 hour, not 45 minutes.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
I was actually excited about it being a bird only practice as it would mean no idiot owners letting their dogs jump up at albie and every one in the practice would know how to comfortably and safely handle him.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
I know it is, that's why I want them. It's seriously frustrating. They won't entertain me registering with them. They keep telling me to look at the other practices. I even spoke with the practice manager and they are all repeating the "we don't take clients on who are an hour away, check out the other practices first"

I'm now thinking it's because they would get 3x the money if I was referred to them than if I was a registered client with them.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I did ring them. They don't accept any one whose over an hour away so I rang to explain that I'm 45 mins away and. They a said to look at the list they sent and if I can't get In with them to call them back

I'd freaking lie and tell them that I am moving in with my boyfriend who is 15 minutes from them or something lol-- Do they require proof of residence? You can easily make that happen too...cough...*never have done it, but kid's parents do it ALL THE TIME*.. I question the legality of this practice (I MIGHT be able to see some reasons if you were crossing state lines...but that would really only make sense if it were a wild bird rehab center concerned about the spread if disease in native populations...) crappy as this is, I'd still fight for it (as avian vets are worth it).

Last edited:
OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Yeah, they require proof of residence. And I may or may not have used my mums address in the past, I even said that I'm moving to the area when I'm driving and it was still a hard no.

There's one on the list they gave me that I'm more than likely going to use as I'm going to be moving to the town next door to them. They have a lot of positive reviews and one negative,wgich was complaining about why were the bird services double their dog services
That, I feel, is pretty self explanatory.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I'm remain boggled at rigid terms of service, but as the saying goes, when given lemons you make lemonade!

Wow, that negative review has no validity!

Most Reactions

Latest posts