Budgie health problems

SleepyLuca

May 7, 2022
Southern California
Parrots
Independence(indi)
So my about 6 year old budgie has been having a lot of problems recently that have me concerned. His beak has started to grow too fast for him to manage and we had to begin trimming it on a regular basis so that he can eat, drink and clean himself. But- he also has feces stuck to his vent and it seems like there may be some feathers missing from under his wings. My normal response would be to clean the vent gently with water but he is completely terrified of humans and I know stress in budgies can cause diarrhea which can cause feces buildup around the vents.

Weā€™ve tried switching his diet but him and his cage-mate are VERY resistant and will not eat anything but seeds. I just really donā€™t know what to do to help him get better. And the odd thing is he isnā€™t acting sick at all. Heā€™s never at the bottom of his cage, he eats regularly, heā€™s active, talkative and he still actively socializes with his cage-mate.

And I live at home and suffer with severe anxiety so I canā€™t take him to the vet on my own and Iā€™m scared of asking to take him because I constantly worry about money. And I worry about stressing everyone out too- (Iā€™m sadly always the one that realizes our pets are seriously ill and itā€™s never ended well.) or causing panic yk? I just donā€™t know what to do and if anybody has advice on how to help this little guy or any idea as to what may be the problem, please let me know.

Definitely going to try talking with my parents about taking him to the vet again but in the meantime I just wanted to try to get some answers :ā€™)

Thanks in advance for all your help everybody ^^

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
So my about 6 year old budgie has been having a lot of problems recently that have me concerned. His beak has started to grow too fast for him to manage and we had to begin trimming it on a regular basis so that he can eat, drink and clean himself. But- he also has feces stuck to his vent and it seems like there may be some feathers missing from under his wings. My normal response would be to clean the vent gently with water but he is completely terrified of humans and I know stress in budgies can cause diarrhea which can cause feces buildup around the vents.

Weā€™ve tried switching his diet but him and his cage-mate are VERY resistant and will not eat anything but seeds. I just really donā€™t know what to do to help him get better. And the odd thing is he isnā€™t acting sick at all. Heā€™s never at the bottom of his cage, he eats regularly, heā€™s active, talkative and he still actively socializes with his cage-mate.

And I live at home and suffer with severe anxiety so I canā€™t take him to the vet on my own and Iā€™m scared of asking to take him because I constantly worry about money. And I worry about stressing everyone out too- (Iā€™m sadly always the one that realizes our pets are seriously ill and itā€™s never ended well.) or causing panic yk? I just donā€™t know what to do and if anybody has advice on how to help this little guy or any idea as to what may be the problem, please let me know.

Definitely going to try talking with my parents about taking him to the vet again but in the meantime I just wanted to try to get some answers :ā€™)

Thanks in advance for all your help everybody ^^
Are you a teenager that can earn any extra money somehow? Perhaps mowing neighbors lawns, babysitting, house cleaning, walking dogs?
I would offer your budgies a shallow dish of water to bathe in. A dish that's big enough for at least one budgie to stand in with room temperature water about one inch deep. This should help your budgie keep himself clean.
I wouldn't trim a budgies beak myself. I would let a vet do it. If it's just a beak trim visit and not a full exam it shouldn't cost more than $50. My avian vet here in Maine only charges $25 for a beak trim and $19 for nail trim. A physical exam is an additional $89.
I would not try to trim the beak yourself. Please try to get ypur bird to an avian vet or at least a vet that sees birds. A budgie that has a beak that repeatedly overgrows often has a liver disease that cannot be cured by changing it diet. This is what I was told by an excellent avian vet in Los Angeles several years ago. Whether the liver disease can be prevented with a "better" diet is speculative at this point.

Most Reactions

Latest posts