Budgie diet.

Kitty16

Jun 10, 2022
US, Indiana
Parrots
2 Blue Budgies, the female is Skittle and the male is Milo.
As some of you already know, I have 2 budgies, male and a female but what you didnā€™t know most likely is I have them on a seed mix diet, I know itā€™s really bad but Iā€™m not sure what ingredients to get to make them fresh food, any ingredient suggestions will be a huge help, Iā€™ve also seen some people using food processors to make their birdā€™s food but I donā€™t have one of those, could I still make some without one? Donā€™t be afraid to reply! Hereā€™s a picture of them.
CC1CF140-BE9F-4A58-B99C-105B266813B5.jpeg

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Does your seed diet include pellets? I used Finch and Canary sized pellets for my budgies. They seemed to enjoy the smaller size, plus it looked more like seeds to them than the funny shapes other brands had.

Budgies, I've been told, love ot leaf bathe. You stick a few pieces of lettuce in water and without shaking the water off, you stick it in a bowl or plate. It encourages them to get some exercise, and some birds actually decide to sample the leaf :D.

Besides those two ideas, I'm not sure what else you can do. I know chop can be cut up very finely with a knife. Good luck!

OP
Kitty16

Kitty16

Jun 10, 2022
US, Indiana
Parrots
2 Blue Budgies, the female is Skittle and the male is Milo.
Does your seed diet include pellets? I used Finch and Canary sized pellets for my budgies. They seemed to enjoy the smaller size, plus it looked more like seeds to them than the funny shapes other brands had.

Budgies, I've been told, love ot leaf bathe. You stick a few pieces of lettuce in water and without shaking the water off, you stick it in a bowl or plate. It encourages them to get some exercise, and some birds actually decide to sample the leaf :D.

Besides those two ideas, I'm not sure what else you can do. I know chop can be cut up very finely with a knife. Good luck!
Iā€™m not sure if it includes pellets, hereā€™s a picture of the food we currently have for them, we got the budgies from a store so we kind of had to get something right away.
4C682007-F9BE-4979-8936-9EA5B40330E8.jpeg

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You donā€™t need a food processor. I used to make a mash using frozen cut vegetable, rice, and canned or cooked dried beans. Froze it in ice cube trays and bagged it. Then thawed a cube at a time.

That was years ago but it was a decent diet in retrospect. That was in mid 90s when there were fewer pelleted diets available.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Iā€™m not sure if it includes pellets, hereā€™s a picture of the food we currently have for them, we got the budgies from a store so we kind of had to get something right away.View attachment 41028
I reccomend getting them a healthier seed mix eventually. One that contains at least 6 different seeds. It'll already be a lot better.
As some of you already know, I have 2 budgies, male and a female but what you didnā€™t know most likely is I have them on a seed mix diet, I know itā€™s really bad but Iā€™m not sure what ingredients to get to make them fresh food, any ingredient suggestions will be a huge help, Iā€™ve also seen some people using food processors to make their birdā€™s food but I donā€™t have one of those, could I still make some without one? Donā€™t be afraid to reply! Hereā€™s a picture of them.View attachment 41026
I hear much to often that seed is bad. This is false. Only seed? Yes. Mostly seed? Yes. 25% or less in the diet? No, unless it's a mix with low variety.

Yes, they are high in carbs. But they contain a lot of essential fatty acids and other healthy nutrient.

Budgies need about 15-25% seed as they are ground foragers and eat a lot of grains in the wild.

They will need exercise to burn off extra carbs, but they need exercise anyway, just like us.

My birds eat dry mixes instead. You don't HAVE to feed dry mixes, I just reccomend it as they have a lot of variety. I will include some recipes below, you can add some extra stuff as well such as dried veggies, some pellets etc.

If you wish to feed pellets instead, I reccomend Harrison's or TOP's as they are the healthiest ones. Only as 30% or less in their diet.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I reccomend getting them a healthier seed mix eventually. One that contains at least 6 different seeds. It'll already be a lot better.

I hear much to often that seed is bad. This is false. Only seed? Yes. Mostly seed? Yes. 25% or less in the diet? No, unless it's a mix with low variety.

Yes, they are high in carbs. But they contain a lot of essential fatty acids and other healthy nutrient.

Budgies need about 15-25% seed as they are ground foragers and eat a lot of grains in the wild.

They will need exercise to burn off extra carbs, but they need exercise anyway, just like us.

My birds eat dry mixes instead. You don't HAVE to feed dry mixes, I just reccomend it as they have a lot of variety. I will include some recipes below, you can add some extra stuff as well such as dried veggies, some pellets etc.

If you wish to feed pellets instead, I reccomend Harrison's or TOP's as they are the healthiest ones. Only as 30% or less in their diet.
For the veggies, you can just chop them up by hand or slice them into steps and hang them in the cage, you can also use leafy greens, they are a favourite among budgies.

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
i agree with Pipthebananbirb, itā€™s all about knowing what is best for your individual breed. (One diet does not fit all)
Great idea to hang greens/veg and fruit from hemp rope/string for them to chew at as an introduction. It will also encourage play and foraging.
My boy loves a pumpkin, I just cut it in half and let him destroy it.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
i agree with Pipthebananbirb, itā€™s all about knowing what is best for your individual breed. (One diet does not fit all)
I agree, though you don't really get different "breeds" of birds, rather different species.(For Example, Show budgies and Australian budgies are different breeds, but an aclectus and a cockatiel are different species.)
Great idea to hang greens/veg and fruit from hemp rope/string for them to chew at as an introduction. It will also encourage play and foraging.
My boy loves a pumpkin, I just cut it in half and let him destroy it.
My birds love it when I hang veggies, I usually use clips.

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
I agree, though you don't really get different "breeds" of birds, rather different species.(For Example, Show budgies and Australian budgies are different breeds, but an aclectus and a cockatiel are different species.)

My birds love it when I hang veggies, I usually use clips.
You're right, I used clips for my budgies items too.
Now I have to use a metal kabob stick or ā€˜ropeā€˜ because my boy is bigger and too powerful for the Clips.

Most Reactions

Latest posts