Budgie dive-bombs at me?

Lulu10766

Dec 29, 2022
Parrots
1 Parakeet
Hello! My parakeet has a weird behavior. He likes to dive bomb me when heā€™s freely flying my room- usually not hitting me but coming as close as he can to doing so before abruptly turning, however sometimes he does hit me. Is it like a game for him? Have yā€™all had any birds that did similar things?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hello! My parakeet has a weird behavior. He likes to dive bomb me when heā€™s freely flying my room- usually not hitting me but coming as close as he can to doing so before abruptly turning, however sometimes he does hit me. Is it like a game for him? Have yā€™all had any birds that did similar things?
My budgies do this occasionally. Maybe itā€™s fun? Just to see how close they can get?
Sometimes a tail or wing tip touches me though lol.
My boy Striga likes to do it more than the others.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It's a totally normal fun game they play- probably making fun of us because we can't fly!

JohnH

Dec 23, 2016
Parrots
Sulphur crested cockatoo
My little flying monkeys skim the top of my head every day. At first i thought it was because I was sitting in their flight path. So i moved to a different chair. They altered their flight path and continued their touch and goes. Swear I heard one of them laughing.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
One of my cockatiels use to do this but he is old now and doesn't have the energy to show off.

And it's not limited to small parrots.
One of my amazons (merlin) likes to come swooping in and do a close flyby.
He doesn't single me out for this behavior, he will do this to my other parrots if they are in the same room (and out of there cage).

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
One of my cockatiels use to do this but he is old now and doesn't have the energy to show off.

And it's not limited to small parrots.
One of my amazons (merlin) likes to come swooping in and do a close flyby.
He doesn't single me out for this behavior, he will do this to my other parrots if they are in the same room (and out of there cage).
Yikes! I'd be scared if a bird the size of an Amazon dive bombed me but not if it were mine I guess.

Sweety&Tweety

Mar 2, 2023
Parrots
I have 2 budgies
My budgies do this to me also. I have noticed it is usually when they are trying g to get my attention. Especially during feeding timesšŸ„°

Most Reactions

Latest posts