Bumble-ing Along

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
She was 29g - and to wrap my American brain around that, I had Alexa convert that into ounces. It's ONE. HAHAHAHA she weighs one ounce. It kills me! And more pics are coming, I promise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yup...an ounce is something like 28.4 g's or something like that lol.

When BB and Amy went to their wellness check up,Amy is like 486g's..to BB's 86..it comes out to 5.6 BB's equal one Amy lmao :eek: ;)

Jim

And 16.75 Bumbles to an Amy!! Haha!

:D LMBO! Imagine 17 Bumbles...OMG tooo funny!

Jim

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
That's a lot of Bumbles.

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Tonight we had our best training session yet! She (and I) have got target training down. I was able to lead her off my shoulder and back to the table and also across her flightsuit a couple of times to acclimate her to it a little. AND. A little, imperfect spin. [emoji7][emoji7]. I took a sort of crappy video to share with you all.

[ame="https://youtu.be/R3sYKgidMwE"]Target Training - YouTube[/ame]

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Aw, she is so darn cute! And smart :).

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Bumble definitely is a sweet and smart little thing...so enjoying the pics and videos!

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Today I thought I'd see if she'd walk through a hoop. And she did! I'm so proud of my little girl!

[ame="https://youtu.be/HXClQUW2y94"]Bumble Goes Through a Hoop - YouTube[/ame]

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
She also wanted to spend most of her out of cage time on me, and let me hold her and give she skritches while she fell asleep. After I put her to bed for the night, I sat next to her covered cage listening to her grind her beak while she fell asleep. I'm such a dork but this little sweetie has stolen my heart!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Awwww what a tiny little girl! You're doing so good with her..and she is willing to learn and please! that is so awesome :D

Jim

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
Well, that proves it—parrotlets are extremely smart! I've tried to teach Noah to nod, but it isn't going well. I think the movements required for the trick are too subtle or something. If you manage to teach your kid to nod using the target stick, let me know. I also can't teach him to do the "wings!" trick, because he freaks out if I touch his wings, even after trying to desensitize him.

Fudge, I guess both of us should train our birds to accept towelling. The Parrot Wizard has a video on it, and it would definitely be helpful for teaching them to accept touches elsewhere on their body (obviously just once in a while, but sometimes you need to examine a wing or something).

What I want to work on right now is flight. I want to teach him to fly to different objects and all that, but I'm still working on building him a little tabletop training stand.

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Tonight I took a short video of Bumble getting her evening skritches. She makes the cutest little peep peeps when we do this. Video quality isn't great because I was balancing my iPhone between my mouth and my chest and trying to keep it pointed in the right direction [emoji23]. Later, my BFF came over with her daughter so we could play pass the birdie. And for the first time, she ASKED for skritches by lowering her head near my thumb. She's always been happy to let me hold her and skritch, but she's never asked. [emoji170][emoji170][emoji170]

https://instagram.com/p/BTIhsv9Dy7i/

d841f81d93c57b630c666e56c8cebfdf.jpg

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Awwwwww Bumble!!!! What a tiny darling :D

Jim

a

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
Aww, it seems like she's going through the different stages at around the same pace as Noah did. Except you got to skip the stage where Noah demanded scratches, but would only let me use the hand that was HOLDING THE PERCH. My gosh, I don't know how he expected me to hold the perch AND scratch his head at the same time. And no, the hand HAD to be holding the perch at the same time -_-

It's nice that you don't have to use a perch to handle her like I did (he's fine with hands now, thank goodness). It's great that you're socializing her and desensitizing her at such a young age. Look out for the terrible twos, though!

Oh my, she sounds a lot different from Noah! I guess she still has a ways to go before reaching maturity.

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Aww, it seems like she's going through the different stages at around the same pace as Noah did. Except you got to skip the stage where Noah demanded scratches, but would only let me use the hand that was HOLDING THE PERCH. My gosh, I don't know how he expected me to hold the perch AND scratch his head at the same time. And no, the hand HAD to be holding the perch at the same time -_-

It's nice that you don't have to use a perch to handle her like I did (he's fine with hands now, thank goodness). It's great that you're socializing her and desensitizing her at such a young age. Look out for the terrible twos, though!

Oh my, she sounds a lot different from Noah! I guess she still has a ways to go before reaching maturity.

Well she is still less than 9 weeks old [emoji6]. How old was Noah when you got him

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Noah was around 2 years old when he was dropped off in June. The little goof's getting his beak and nails filed on Monday. I'm getting Alice examined on Monday, so I thought I might as well bring in Mr. Pointy Beak.

By the way, what does Bumble smell like? Noah has a sort of aromatic, broccoli and asparagus smell to him. The budgies just smell disgustingly sweet. I haven't sniffed the kākāriki yet.

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Noah was around 2 years old when he was dropped off in June. The little goof's getting his beak and nails filed on Monday. I'm getting Alice examined on Monday, so I thought I might as well bring in Mr. Pointy Beak.

By the way, what does Bumble smell like? Noah has a sort of aromatic, broccoli and asparagus smell to him. The budgies just smell disgustingly sweet. I haven't sniffed the kākāriki yet.

I'm not quite willing to get my nose close enough to find out - I don't trust that she won't give me a good bite! But I'll let you know when I feel more confident about not receiving a new piercing [emoji23][emoji23][emoji211][emoji211][emoji170][emoji170]

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Yeah, probably a good idea not to put your face near her yet! I still remember the first time Noah climbed onto my shoulder and nestled in my hair to sleep. I just about wet myself! He was still quite bitey and I thought for sure he was going to tear my ear off! I had to have my parents rescue me (I may have overreacted, but they seemed quite concerned, too). The next night he did it again, but this time I was more confident and just let him snuggle.

Honestly, he doesn't smell very good, but for some reason I'll just put my nostril right against his head, sniffing him for a few minutes (he enjoys it). Mom laughed at me the one time because I inhaled one of his feathers :p. Man, I'm so glad Noah got past his biting phase.

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
I tried to give her a little sniff today. All I smelled was seed. [emoji7]

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Excellent work with Bumble. I suggest doing your training time the same time every day, parrots love consistency. DOing the hoop is just the start, she seems trick-inclined, so have stuff to challenge her. SHe might surprize you. Salty was doing the same trick, and all of a sudden he took the ring in his beak and flipped it over his head. No prompting from me. Once they get used to the idea of training, most parrots seem eager to 'show off' and learn new stuff. I have to come up with new tricks for Salty all the time or he gets bored.

Most Reactions